The Car Thread

MadManMike

Had an incredibly good weekend on the car. 

Great weather for it

20170408_121046_zps4jj4ayap.jpg

20170408_121103_zpssp2ynpzm.jpg

20170408_121029_zpskkylhmeg.jpg

20170409_171233_zps2phur7tj.jpg

20170409_171228_zpsatticmau.jpg

20170408_191455_zps4hbsrgbb.jpg

To summarise this weekend.. 

Epas fitted and feels awesome
Gearbox cables fed through and connected 
Bumper brackets fitted so bumper can be fitted 
Aerocatches fully fitted 
Water filled up
Brake lines fitted 
Brakes bled
Clutch bled. Bled like a charm and feels delicious 
Throttle cable connected 

I'm so happy with the front end just need to get a sunstrip fitted again. 

Needs a wash too as you can see it's caked in dust. 

• Like 3

Plan for today, put coil overs on, full detail on car.

Ebay special Impact gun died after 3 years, so coilovers would of taken much longer than planned.

Lost my liquid wax, so just cleaned, mopped, clayed, Krust'd the car. The rust on the sills, isnt bad at all. The chassis rail on the other hand needs to be done very soon.

I can definatly see the appeal of the mx5, i really love driving it, although its slow as f**k. Nonetheless that will be ruined once its dropped.
Bought the car from JunkYard Dogs, cant recommend him enough! and conveniently he is under 10 mins away so fresh parts for days! Got referbed front and rear arms on route shortly, and a new exhaust.

IMG_20170409_180738.jpg

IMG_20170409_180750.jpg

If you bought the 5 because you wanted a fast car, you made a mistake.

The 5 is all about high revs blasts around country lanes, not traffic light drag races.

But strap a turbo on and you get both, which is still in my long term plans :)

Put the MX5 on a track and you'll realllllyyyy see the appeal. I wasn't sold on them at all until Alex took me out in his! 

Coupe news. 

I repaired the gearbox Saturday evening after work. Opened it up and as expected, I found the offending gear selector fork bent. Could have been a simple replacement but unfortunately the snap ring around the 3rd gear syncro had been chewed up beyond recognition and needed replacing. I've used the gearset from the donor gearbox with all said syncros and forks. Works a dream! 

IMG_0537.thumb.JPG.68757da24a43e0ce38892cf9b4936074.JPG

IMG_0557.thumb.PNG.47e00b0483213c2104d0dfdf168198d7.PNG

Took the chance to get my tyres swapped across onto my DC2 wheels, so as to return the wheels I'd been lent by Hayden. 

300 miles done over this weekend and it's working flawlessly. I've got my B series box now with the LSD so next time the box/engine has to come out I'll get the diff fitted too. 

IMG_0556.thumb.JPG.7b896485e9c918d73e470478580d6c16.JPG

• Like 2

No i didnt want it as a fast car, but it feels slow, one thing i have noticed, it is very very planted, went for a late night drive and my god, it handles really well, the LSD feels just tight enough and the turn it and grip feels spot on. i had to fight with it to get the rear end to kick out, and my only real option is to hang off the (in need of adjustment) handbrake. 

But ill ruin that in good time, form over function and all that.

Im sure purists will hate it, but there are many slammed mx5's, and that is a scene i kind of miss.
If i ended up on the track in one... it would probably end up at that route, but the clio sort of had that in the bag.

Im actually pretty amazed at how comfy they are too.

Right I fixed one fuel leak by changing the fuel delivery line but I put a bunch of fuel in and parked pointing downhill and the main leak has shown itself.

It's fairly accessible but it is leaking from the seam of the tank where it has corroded. Now I'd much prefer to not have to drop the tank and replace it as it is a big job on a forester and there's lots of rusty bolts under there while I'm also on a budget. Is there anything that I could use to seal it that anyone knows of from the outside? It doesn't have to look pretty I'm just looking for a cheap quick fix for my beater of a car.

4 hours ago, Duncy H said:

Right I fixed one fuel leak by changing the fuel delivery line but I put a bunch of fuel in and parked pointing downhill and the main leak has shown itself.

It's fairly accessible but it is leaking from the seam of the tank where it has corroded. Now I'd much prefer to not have to drop the tank and replace it as it is a big job on a forester and there's lots of rusty bolts under there while I'm also on a budget. Is there anything that I could use to seal it that anyone knows of from the outside? It doesn't have to look pretty I'm just looking for a cheap quick fix for my beater of a car.

We sell a fuel tank repair putty type product at work, the name of which escapes me but it does exist. Basically a fuel resistant 2 part epoxy clay type thing same as Knead It (probably exactly the same in fact but marketed as a fuel tank specific kit) that you squash into any holes and sets like metal (Y) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jolfa said:

We sell a fuel tank repair putty type product at work, the name of which escapes me but it does exist. Basically a fuel resistant 2 part epoxy clay type thing same as Knead It (probably exactly the same in fact but marketed as a fuel tank specific kit) that you squash into any holes and sets like metal (Y) 

Will that also do chassis rails. (i can only wish)

6 hours ago, TROYston said:

Will that also do chassis rails. (i can only wish)

I got a load of Knead It for free, at present it's holding at least 2 exhausts together, the wing mirror on my van, rebuilt a coolant flange after I snapped it removing it, it's awesome shit I love it :lol: you can even drill and tap it once it's set!

Edited by Jolfa

Peugeot sold, track time at Rockingham booked for this coming Sunday and Cadwell on the 27th of July! 

Dare i I say it I may even drag the green Civic out of the overgrowth and get cracked on with that this week too. 

Edited by SamKidney

Been mega busy with the last push before mapping! It's all the little things i've been sorting out.

Apologies if the pics look rubbish, trying a new uploading site as photobucket has had a disaster earlier.

I've fitted the interior, along with the false floor which is a bit bent but it's worked a treat. Fire extinguisher is fixed infront of passenger seat too. I then fitted my rear door cards from CM composite. They were fitted by 3 x M4 rivnuts in each corner. Ideally another one would be spot on but there is no metal behind them, they are very secure though.

No door card

20170417_111629.jpg

After

20170417_111636.jpg

Interior pics as it stands!

20170418_173105.jpg

20170418_173113.jpg

Black strip is for the scuttle when finished bleeding the brakes

20170418_173137.jpg

20170418_173155.jpg

The car now has coolant in and the turbo intake is fitted using a ramair filter. Used ducting from the intercooler pipework and it fitted spot on.

I've also secured the ecu upright using brackets from an oil cooler I bought from [USER=11651]@optical[/USER] . That has been cushioned with some rubber just to reduce residual vibrations.

20170417_104743.jpg

20170417_104728.jpg

I also got sick of the pink aerocatches (god knows why they come that colour, it's absolutely dire). So with some caustic soda I removed the anodising and then trimmed them down as they were too long. I will do the rears at one point when i've got time.

20170418_154647.jpg

20170418_154724.jpg

20170418_155004.jpg

20170418_160213.jpg

I'm awaiting on some braided front brake lines then I can bleed the front brakes then it's pretty much complete for mapping.

I've sorted the exhaust too, i'm using the megane 225 link pipe from the de-cat and it needs to mate up to my original exhaust and luckily cutting a section from my clio 182 decat allows it to join up perfectly. I got some clamps on there today btw. I will be getting a full 3" system at one point then getting the map tweaked but for now it will be fine.

20170417_103152.jpg

To finish here are lots and lots of engine bay pics as i'm over the moon with it..

20170418_173223.jpg

20170418_173255.jpg

20170418_173049.jpg

20170418_173043.jpg

20170418_173024.jpg

20170418_173010.jpg

• Like 11

Managed to rescue my other gearbox casing and old differential from the local scrap man. Need to stand the B series LSD side by side with the K series OEM open diff to see what I need to machine off the B series diff for it to fit. Only very little I'm told, and use of one .005 shim needed. Hoping I can get it in the car before Rockingham on Sunday. 

Had a look over it today, all good. My adjustable RARB links haven't arrived, so as OEM ones don't fit my control arms I'm barless on the tail end. 

IMG_0595.thumb.JPG.3ac3e7c06ab3f146c19342d02f6f2e5f.JPG

Dislike how raspy the DC2 silencer is on overrun. Tempted to refit the asbo cannon and bring the DC2 silencer along with me but I feel I'm only going to find myself failing the noise test and refitting it regardless. 

Looks like I'll be needing to add a 2nd car pretty sharpish, thought I'd ask in here for some inspiration because really the only specs so far are "will drive for half hour every day" and "around £2000". Basically a runaround. But I'll probably be using it most to leave Hayley with the 'nicer' car, so I don't want to just go down the cheap hatchback route.

MX-5 is something that comes straight to mind, but then so does a 5 series estate. So I'm fairly open to ideas. Fire away...

The Civics first track outing was a marginal success only in finding what areas need attention. 

The lack of LSD was the biggest let down, very understeer happy and struggled to get any power down out of the corner exits, though the lack of rear anti roll bar could also be amplifying this too. 

My brakes were terrible. Rear effort is still far too low and the front pads (Ferrodos) faded out to nothing after 5 laps when trying to slow for the entry into the inner circuit. Rear brakes wouldn't even lock when the fronts had faded, which they would normally on an OEM cylinder with the proper prop valve. 

Tyres may be something I'm looking to change, but Rockingham is a notoriously slippy circuit anyway so I'd like to give them one more go elsewhere before I commit to changing those. 

And my crank pulley has got a wobble on now too, so I need to change that before it rubs through the timing case.  

• Like 1

Little update. Mapping is next week and as expected I'm cutting it quite fine. 

Got a jerry can on the way so I can get some petrol and fill Boris up and let it run to get coolant all the way around it. 

Water wetter on the way, along with a catch can and pipework too. 

Bled the brakes and I'm not sure if there's air in there but it's spongy. There is a lot of brake pad flex which is strange. Never noticed it before on a car but it's like the play in the pedal is the pad flexing just on one side and just one pad. Odd. 

Got a sun strip to fit tomorrow or Wednesday and also sort out the tracking of one wheel as when I've changed the track rod end I must have put it on a different amount of thread as that wheel is toeing out a f**king shit load. Which isn't ideal when I'm supposed to be driving it home next Tuesday from mapping. 

I'm out all weekend so can't play then although I do have Monday off. 

Got the girlfriend to clay the car for me yesterday which is cool as it was absolutely filthy and covered in grinding and welding dust. It's come up OK but needs detailing properly. 

20170423_193142_zpsas1jr3rx.jpg

20170423_193132_zpsj9khtg46.jpg

20170423_193237_zpsmvi4uqio.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/29/2017 at 9:42 AM, Wrayvon said:

Gearbox question to all:

In the MK if I change from 1st to 2nd at anything higher than roughly 3k revs it proper crunches going into 2nd. Doesn't do it on any other changes, including 2nd to 1st. Am I right in thinking this is a synchro issue? 

Thanks

Got the transmission fluid changed and unfortunately this still happens. Seems like it's going to be a gearbox out job and replace the synchro.... anyone know anyone who likes fiddling with gearboxes?