The Car Thread

MadManMike

Nah, it's nothing too bad really. Just the costs involved as it's set me back £120 for delivery, £200 for mapping, £30 for fuel back and I'm back where I stsrted which is a b*****d. Also the time is worse as I can't get it mapped for another two months now. That's summer track day time. 

22 minutes ago, Danny said:

Was it EFI Parts you had it mapped at? RS Tuning in Leeds often have french tin cans outside if you need to find somewhere else.

Yeah efi. Haha tin cans love it. I really want to stick with efi as he knows my ecu inside out. 

Just had a read on CS out of interest, gutted for you Dan :( 

Is the issue with the binding O/S driveshaft down to manufacture error being custom shafts or do the conversion mounts let the engine sit too far over that way? 

1 hour ago, MadManMike said:

For those of us too lazy to trawl through a forum we're not members of...?

Sorry, I never updated! I bought new injectors, high flowing ones, but one of them was duff so I couldn't have it mapped. Mapper had to chuck me on a safe get me home map with some spare injectors he had lying around. Also adding to that was this horrible vibration, was actually hurting the mappers feet It was that bad. Found out what it was tonight though with the assistance of someone. Check out this 

1 hour ago, SamKidney said:

Just had a read on CS out of interest, gutted for you Dan :( 

Is the issue with the binding O/S driveshaft down to manufacture error being custom shafts or do the conversion mounts let the engine sit too far over that way? 

It's the engine being over to the drivers side too much it would appear. May need to loosen everything off and try budge it over but I doubt it'll move 15mm over. That's a lot

40 minutes ago, dann2707 said:

It's the engine being over to the drivers side too much it would appear. May need to loosen everything off and try budge it over but I doubt it'll move 15mm over. That's a lot

Does the drivers side use an intermediate shaft? 

I know on my swap the trick is to swap the shafts over side to side to prevent binding... one shaft is ever slightly shorter than the other. 

Swap the inner CVs over (NS inner onto O/S shaft and vice versa) and then reinstall according to inner CV. 

Not 100% on the layout of the Megane running gear. 

Edited by SamKidney

One side has 30mm play, the other is wedged in there tight and binding, causing the vibration. From the commentary on CS it seems that the ideal amount of play with the hub nut off is around 15mm a side, so if Dan can move things across to the offside 15mm (or at least a little) then it should all come out in the wash

28 minutes ago, Jolfa said:

I think the side that doesn't move is probably more of an issue..

Morning brain :lol:

Hacksaw, bit of steel tube to sleeve, plug welds, done :D Nah, that is a bit too pikey even for me. I guess it can be shortened though? With the car having stiff / short travel suspension the working angle of the CV joint won't be overstretched.

I think he's looking into tweaking the mounts to try and sit it all 15mm across, which'll give nice even movement all around. Easier said than done though, so not being familiar with the mounts he's using I don't know how viable/straightforward that is/isn't.

• Like 1

Looking at pics of Clio mounts, surely just a simple spacer plate where it bolts to the chassis to move it over is the way forward? Or even if there's enough metal to just elongate the holes enough?