The Car Thread

MadManMike

Photo of the new engine. Which ran like shite:

18766035_10158691425140587_1604146296177

Photo of new engine, with replaced coil pack and leads. Which fired up instantly and idled nicely at 1k, rather than turning over a few times then idling low / high.

18740625_10158691425300587_2681531879747

I've had a beer so can't take her out for a spin, but initial thoughts are that it's solved the problem. Oil consumption will still be an issue, but to have it running properly will be very nice :)

• Like 2

Been a few days since I've updated everything. I've got the week off work so started painting the interior. It's really tedious to do and it's quite hard to see in the garage (first world problems) but I've got a few more coats to do and it will be sorter. Really happy with the colour as before people k

ept asking why I chose white... But it's not it was just a really shitty light grey.

First coat to check the colour

20170525_192315_zpslalrwrow.jpg

Did the full first coat today

20170530_143932_HDR_zpspghiiezz.jpg

20170530_143942_zps8fakcmad.jpg

I took a picture of the new Ford focus mk3 rs into b and q and got it colour matched to that.

Hopefully will get another layer of paint on tomorrow and get it all assembled next week.

Came back from London the other night (can see the clothes on the floor) and had to get carring as I'd been away for a few days.. So swapped my dash bits over to the new unbroken dash. Thanks [USER=74580]@RyG[/USER] it took a lot longer than expected but also fitted the cut off switch. Really happy with its location. Seems to fit in. Also fitted new as bolts with washers.

20170528_201123_zpsmxt49d4q.jpg
20170528_234857_zpsdcwrgiui.jpg

Ended up buying a new coil pack and ht leads from Renault just so I know everything is new before mapping, £120 though jeez.

20170525_180935_zpswaibalvq.jpg

11 hours ago, dann2707 said:

Been a few days since I've updated everything. I've got the week off work so started painting the interior. It's really tedious to do and it's quite hard to see in the garage (first world problems) but I've got a few more coats to do and it will be sorter. Really happy with the colour as before people k

ept asking why I chose white... But it's not it was just a really shitty light grey.

First coat to check the colour

20170525_192315_zpslalrwrow.jpg

Did the full first coat today

20170530_143932_HDR_zpspghiiezz.jpg

20170530_143942_zps8fakcmad.jpg

I took a picture of the new Ford focus mk3 rs into b and q and got it colour matched to that.

Hopefully will get another layer of paint on tomorrow and get it all assembled next week.

Came back from London the other night (can see the clothes on the floor) and had to get carring as I'd been away for a few days.. So swapped my dash bits over to the new unbroken dash. Thanks [USER=74580]@RyG[/USER] it took a lot longer than expected but also fitted the cut off switch. Really happy with its location. Seems to fit in. Also fitted new as bolts with washers.

20170528_201123_zpsmxt49d4q.jpg
20170528_234857_zpsdcwrgiui.jpg

Ended up buying a new coil pack and ht leads from Renault just so I know everything is new before mapping, £120 though jeez.

20170525_180935_zpswaibalvq.jpg

Nice work Dan. 

£120.00 for a Genuine coil and leads is good going! We fit one on an Astra last week, non genuine. Cost at trade to us was £92.50 ex.VAT.. 

My car continues to plague me with trouble. The timing chain needs doing, a misfire has developed and now the clutch won't disengage properly. 

I like the interior colour Dan. I'm probably going to do mine a similar colour soon (although with a slight blue tint to it) with a view to the outside going the same colour in the long run.

I can't remember when I last updated you guys on what I've been doing with the Porsche, but I've now got both sills all welded up so I'm able to finally move onto the fun modifying, rather than just undoing 30 years of neglect.

Here's a few shots of the sills:

Big hole number 1:

DSC_4848.jpg

Inner sill and floor edge all rebuilt:

DSC_4930.jpg

Outer sill welded on and all ground back, along with tubes to take sill stands (I need a new rear quarter panel before I can close that hole at the back up):

DSC_4957.jpg

Big hole number 2:

DSC_4998.jpg

Inner sill & outside edge of the floor, and the bottom of the a-pillar all rebuilt:

DSC_5252.jpg

And finally the outer sill welded on along with the sill stand tubes again:

DSC_5370.jpg

So now it looks like this:

DSC_5377.jpg

I'm currently cleaning up the interior to get rid of all the adhesive from the sound deadening (it's ALL gone, bitumen included) then I can decide on a driving position and mount the seat and pedal box, which will let me start on the cage. I'm looking forward to this next stage, changes are always more fun than repairs in my eyes.

• Like 1

Thanks Danny. Haha, the signs have been there longer than I have, and I've never asked where they came from (probably better off not knowing :lol:)

The plan for the car's to turn it into a track car but keep it fun for the odd blast on the road. So basically loose all the weight I can from it while keeping locks, and maybe put just carpets back in to help the droan. I'm remaking all the suspension (with the geometry corrected for it being lowered quite a lot and a multi-link rear set-up to kill the tow out they get under braking), and fitting the 1.8t that used to live in the Scirocco (I'll be making an adapter onto the factory torque tube and gearbox). Oh, and a conversion from 4x108 to 4x100, and I'll be fitting s3 brakes all round. It sounds like rather more work than I like to think about when I write it out like that. Haha. 

I'm most of the way through designing the suspension parts in my lunch breaks, so hopefully they can be finalised and all the laser cut parts ordered by the time I'm done with the cage and controls.

Oh, and I'll be trying to keep it all bolt in where possible, so if I ever want to sell or race the car, the bits that don't meet class regs can just be unbolted and replaced easily. 

Robin, this may be a long shot but if you're looking at putting the car on a diet you might want to look here:

http://www.shop.rajdy-najda.com/index.php?ch_lang=2

They do quite a lot of international custom work and may have parts for a 924. The quality of their work is amazing and the prices are good too - that carbon roof I posted in the last page was something like £360.

Love the repairs, quality work! 

Talking of which, removed the old roof today and offered the new one up. 

MUA8uDq.jpg

One of the things I've been dreading is having to buy a new bonnet. The old one opened on me so many times it's kind of strange how it's still in one piece. It lost so much rigidity throughout those mishaps that it eventually stopped cracking the windscreen :P It's got a strange spider web in various places which could really spoil the finish and I'm not quite sure how to fix this. A new one is going to be so expensive :( 

mu6Rqql.jpg

My car is running much better now:

All that's left to do now is work out what's causing the oil consumption and make the fan work. The fan in theory is just broken wiring somewhere, as the fan itself works and all the fuses / relays are OK. I've replaced the sensor on the front and back of the engine, so there's nothing else other than wiring that could be the problem, as far as I'm aware.

3 hours ago, bing said:

@Adam@TartyBikes I thought 3 sisters had got shut down with the company going bust?

Three Sisters is owned by Wigan council, The Racing School were hiring it off them. TRS went bust but a few local motor clubs have been able to hire it on a one-day basis to run their events :)

Fair enough Mike, you could just live with it though :D Like a James Bond smokescreen.

Amazingly the 306 passed its MOT today with flying colours.. 

IMG_0846.thumb.JPG.2dc7e3820f1ca207b9f757faf45ef2cb.JPG

Civic off the road as of tomorrow. Should allow me to get the engine and box out with other associated bits to sort out before Cadwell at the end of next month. 

Fingers crossed I've sourced an OEM k series LSD that I can drop straight in with no faffing around. Other than that it's a clutch replacement and save money for K Pro ECU and a map. The Hondata Ecu I borrowed last time transformed the car and it's felt shit ever since haha. 

Has anyone had any experience changing the cambelt on a lupo sdi? Mine is due and the garage want £400 to change it which simply isn't worth it. There are a few guides online but I don't have the tools or the time to do it. Would anyone be able to do it for me for some dollar obviously? 

11 minutes ago, dann2707 said:

Has anyone had any experience changing the cambelt on a lupo sdi? Mine is due and the garage want £400 to change it which simply isn't worth it. There are a few guides online but I don't have the tools or the time to do it. Would anyone be able to do it for me for some dollar obviously? 

Gladly do it for beer money Dan, not a problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dann2707 said:

I've done quite a few cambelts, and you dont need any special tools 90% of the time.

Turn the engine over to tdc, lock all the pulley's in place, old belt off, new belt on, tension, remove all locking pins, turn it over a few times and check everything still lines up, then job done.

You dont even need the correct locking pins to be honest. they're usually 4/5/6mm, so as long as you find something which fits tight in the hole (wheyyy! ;)) drill bits, allen keys, ect all work a treat.

1 hour ago, SamKidney said:

Gladly do it for beer money Dan, not a problem. 

That is a seriously kind offer mate. Thank you very much. I'll get the parts ordered! Unless you can get them easier than me? Can pay you up front of course! Let me know matey

23 minutes ago, dann2707 said:

Cheaper car work?!? :P

Douche :P

Don't get me wrong, TF still has it's proportional share of dickheads, but some of the gang who've been here a while (usually those who lurk in here and no longer ride bikes, coincidentally) just go to show there are some decent folk about which is nice to see :)