The Car Thread

MadManMike

That'll look awesome when it's finished Alex, can't wait to see it!

Fixed my intermittent brake light fault with a new stop light pressure switch. Gone round and fitted all new bulbs throughout too.

Next up is fix the blowing exhausts, new flasher relay and replace the lenses on the parking lights.

• Like 1

I'm getting so excited about my car being sorted. It's heading to the repair guy on Friday, who's gonna do his stuff then stick in the MOT place a couple of units down.

It's got new wiper blades fitted but I didn't really have the facilities to adjust the headlight beam - it's a simple job, so shouldn't cost much for the garage to do.

She's going to be very pretty when I get her back :D

16 hours ago, MadManMike said:

It's got new wiper blades fitted but I didn't really have the facilities to adjust the headlight beam

A screwdriver and a wall?

http://www.wikihow.com/Adjust-Car-Headlights

http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=103845

You don't have to be mega anal, just make sure they are pretty flat, certainly not pointing up (Y)

• Like 2

My car is SORN'd, parked on a driveway in front of a window and a bush.

I suspect the adjusters are seized too, as they didn't move an awful lot.

I know how to adjust them, it's just one screw at the bottom, but I figured the garage would adjust both horizontal and vertical and they'd get it right, rather than just "pretty flat" :)

• Like 1

Banned from a local classic night for busting a burnout on the way out :lol: It was encouraged by what I guessed was the landlords but later turned out to be bar staff. They got my phone number from a buddy at the meet and phoned me later.

Ahh well, it's the smallest local meet round here and all the same cars from other meets too.

• Like 6

Standard duggit car meet procedure, what are they expecting!

On the MX5 front, its been slow.

The carbon monster truck wing was going to be a 5 month wait, after being told three, so cancelled the order. Went to pick up the Roof spoiler, and ended up waiting 4 hours(after a week from purchase), so he gave me a ducktail for free. Ended up fitting with tigerseal and the ducktail is being painted 26s yellow, same as the car and the roof spoiler is going stain black, maybe along with the mirror caps.

IMG_20170806_205951.thumb.jpg.605bd0358dfc1b7ecf46b876b20c4ffe.jpg

IMG_20170814_084036.thumb.jpg.0ba2e93dab5a25c4e407467a4919016b.jpg

IMG_20170814_085547.thumb.jpg.2c3f4bb83ad309db916ee496c11fd2be.jpg

Lowered the car down on the fronts to the bottom of the coilovers, literally made the car scrape on anything and everything, and ruined my gearbox on this new road resurfacing shit theyre doing, where all the stones get bunched up to parts of the road that isnt driven on, and the camber of the road hitting my car hard, i had no choice other than batter my car at 2ish mph, the road i come up had shitty pyramid speedbumps, the transition to resurface was after a blind bend and just happened to have the most resurface stone build up for the car to hit. so either way it was bad. New gearbox(should of got a 6 speed), clutch and flywheel, im now smelling oil when the cars gotten upto operating temp for 20ish mins. Cars now raised by about 1ish cm. Still lower than it was. My front wheels have some crazy toe out though, and the tyres are already bald on the main contact patch. Tried 16's while i was at it, for a more tucked look but less low car. Im not overly keen.

IMG_20170803_194600.thumb.jpg.8c46168cf679c4a0bafc43c6bf81d8cb.jpg

Vent modifications, bought rc car wheels and made them work better than the floppy oem ones, look a little different 'built not bought init'... rubber poking through are just some anti vibration pc fan 'screws' dont do anything but wave gayly in the breeze. Also the lips arent going black.

Screenshot_20170824-113700.thumb.png.d199e4e78b9c820e48ad4c5dee4d8ca8.png

Looking into custom LED rear lights now, i love the VIP jap cars with crazy custom rear lights, so with my very bad knowledge, will delve into this.

EDIT:sprayed reflectors look wank.

Edited by TROYston
  • Like 2

Exhaust is going on, thought I'd make it look a bit better. From perfect, but definitely good enough :) 

HfWvmxz.jpg

684PrwD.jpg

JlC2Hxh.jpg

eJjw5XL.jpg

Had a first feel for this shifter which is currently fixed using mole grips :P Feels absolutely amazing. 

xuAvCfC.jpg

Annoyingly the car is uninsured which is illegal. There's a properly hefty fine for that over here which is either automatic (the authorities search for this in their databases) or you get fined if you're stopped by the police + there's an extra bonus of getting your car impounded. If I insure the car I'll get fined straight away but there's a loophole allowing me to insure it on the 1st of January with minimum to no risk. Have to figure out how to test this thing before the trackday. Police in my area are a rare sight but chances are this thing will get pulled over if sighted. I've had only positive experiences in such situations so far but always had the paperwork in order.

• Like 6

:lol:

20170824_225654.thumb.jpg.5986236d6437d0bb707e7cc793536ec1.jpg

It lasted well an it was kinda a known fault.

Steering box gave up, the steering had slack and a tight spot in there since day 1 but I was hoping to hold out till winter to rebuild, turned a left corner and it just carried on straight :lol: .

Reconned unit from America are available but I think im.gonna try for a rebuild over here, the bearings have fallen  apart either end of the steering shaft so rather then turning on the worm drive the worm drive runs as a thread and comes up and down the steering box.

• Like 1

Hope you can get it sorted without too much pain.

MX-5 guys - I've got some free mk1 parts I want to get rid of: An original battery tray with bracket, fuel filter, original gear lever, and original headlights but who would want those!

Don't really have much car news myself but I'm attempting to sort the wiring loom for the pending turbo engine swap on the Volvo. Got all the chopped wires from the ECU labelled up and then found out that the ECU pinout guide I've been using seems to be wrong. I hate wiring.

Civic is still working as it should. 

Genuine clutch feels superb and coped with a mornings abuse at Blyton no problem on Saturday. 

Im currently trying some 100 Compound Nankang NS2Rs and I'm not overly impressed so far.. more understeer than I'd like but that may be alignment related after it's run over some hefty kerbs at Cadwell. 

Was cool to see Ali Hamilton and Dan too during Clio Fest. The Civic was the odd one out among many Renaults but it seemed to pass more than it was passed by... ;):P still happy with it. Lots of positive comments from others that took an interest regarding how it went on track and the work involved in the conversion. Was a good morning out (Y) 

IMG_1302.PNG.238286d8c44ec2770eb0d69761f43ac1.PNG

Edited by SamKidney
  • Like 1

Should be excited, instead serious anxiety is setting in. Don't trust myself to drive this.  

On the plus side, the new clutch works perfectly which is a bit unexpected and that IRP shifter is f**king amazing. It has a positive mechanical feel to it unlike anything I've experienced. The design also allows locking out 1st and 2nd gear unless a button is pressed on the top of the handle. Nifty feature for avoiding a downshift into 2nd or 1st on the track which with such short throw could be an issue. 

Engine will be fired up tomorrow...

VcwLgrG.jpg

IukAp9O.jpg

• Like 4

On 21/08/2017 at 0:09 PM, Tom Booth said:

Just pretty boring to be honest. Most exciting thing there was a hill climb 205 that went like a stabbed rat.

I suppose I was abit harsh saying it was crap but there's only so many mk2 golfs and 'drift' E36 you can walk around for a full day.

I know this was a while ago, but I'm not sure you went to the same show as me!? I really enjoyed it and thought there was a really cool varied turnout. Speed hunters just put up a good write up too: 

http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/08/celebrating-character-retro-rides-gathering/

I'm a little biased though, as it always doubles as a chance to catch up with some great friends I've made through retro rides. For the record, I didn't take my e36 and add to the handful that were there, I jumped in the orange Datsun's passenger seat. I hadn't seen your post saying you were going or it would be been cool to say hello. 

Also, I cleaned the daily wagon earlier, and realised it was the first time since I'd fitted the suspension, so I may as well chuck a picture up. Although compared to the M3 above it's definitely at the crappy end of the e36 spectrum! 

DSC_5888.thumb.JPG.8db570704967fd1498153ff22d40272c.JPG

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, RobinJI said:

I know this was a while ago, but I'm not sure you went to the same show as me!? I really enjoyed it and thought there was a really cool varied turnout. Speed hunters just put up a good write up too: 

http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/08/celebrating-character-retro-rides-gathering/

I'm a little biased though, as it always doubles as a chance to catch up with some great friends I've made through retro rides. For the record, I didn't take my e36 and add to the handful that were there, I jumped in the orange Datsun's passenger seat. 

Also, I cleaned the daily wagon earlier, and realised it was the first time since I'd fitted the suspension, so I may as well chuck a picture up. Although compated to the M3 above it's definitely at the crappy end of the e36 spectrum! 

DSC_5888.thumb.JPG.8db570704967fd1498153ff22d40272c.JPG

Looks great on those wheels, really fit the arches nicely. That's a 328i IIRC?

13 hours ago, Greetings said:

Looks great on those wheels, really fit the arches nicely. That's a 328i IIRC?

Sadly is just a 318tds, so very unexciting in a straight line but bloody cheap to trundle around in. It sticks surprisingly well in the corners though, which makes it hilariously point and shoot to drive, and really satisfying to throw down a twisty road. 

9 hours ago, RobinJI said:

Sadly is just a 318tds, so very unexciting in a straight line but bloody cheap to trundle around in. It sticks surprisingly well in the corners though, which makes it hilariously point and shoot to drive, and really satisfying to throw down a twisty road. 

That's what I love about the E36, it's so easy to throw around and it's mechanical in the way it handles. TDS's go on forever, didn't you have a 328i in the past? 

The M3 is sucking, squeezing, banging and blowing :D 

htcN3XA.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, it seems very intuitive in how it handles, it never feels intimidating to throw into a corner. The big side-walls probably help that too. This is my first e36. I had an e61 525d before it, which was great, but very much just a mode of transport. You might be thinking of Boumsong who also has a Scirocco, and I seem to remember having a 328i after it.