The Car Thread

MadManMike

53 minutes ago, Greetings said:

Wouldn't the chief point of buying an ITR be to experience the whole package rather than just focus on the engine? The chassis and dynamics are going to be infinitely better than the Civic, surely? 

I know we all tune our cars, but much fun can be had from experiencing them stock, the way they were intended to be. I'm completely in awe of a bone stock ED9 that's standing in the garage. Can't get over how good it is, wouldn't change a thing.

Exactly that mate.

But the K20 is SUCH a good match in the older Civic chassis, and underneath the ITR and the Civics are identical.. the running gear is all interchangeable. Actually running a DC2 steering rack and subframe/lower arms and hubs on my Coupe currently. 

The teg would make a great road car, but I'd just have the itch to improve its capability on track to make it match the Civic currently. 

I think it's a change in aesthetics and "feeling" that I want more than anything.. I've had 6-7 Civics now and I'm a little bored. A different platform (though similar) would be refreshing. I've wanted a dc2 since I was about 6 years old.

Edited by SamKidney

1 hour ago, Luke Rainbird said:

That's settled then, hunt down a Teg and stick your k20 in to it ;)

This is the plan. Unfortunately if I want one any time soon the coupe would have to go. If I hold out and buy next year for the right money it could effectively only cost me time through selling the unneeded running gear from the teg/civic 

• Like 1

Get a nice ITR and keep the original engine in the shed if you want to swap it out (Y) These things are already appreciating aren't they?

Trackday on Sunday. I'm so excited, sleeping pills will probably be needed to get me through the next 2 nights haha :D Forecast calls for rain till noon which would be too perfect. Was going to start on completely worn old semi-slicks and progress through old slicks to new WTCC tyres but going out on a wet track on some intermediates would be absolutely epic to get to grips with the car.

Had it aligned yesterday. Set 0* toe rear, 10 minutes toe out on the front, -2.5 camber rear, -4 front. It feels crazy alive now. Sooo twitchy but in a good way.

GzdGGhM.jpg

A set of almost brand new Yokohama Advan WTCC's came in the post today. Got them put on and proceeded to clean the wheels from years of dirt. After using a 1:1 concentrate mix (recommended for wheels is 1:10) and getting nowhere I proceeded to clean them with sand paper and gave up. 

5V8KtE3r.jpg

This is after using the aggressive cleaner. The red stains which are much more visible in the flesh are from a tar remover :[ 

IrJwDEr.jpg

Didn't want to leave it at that since there may be a photo shoot in the evening on Sunday. I don't need these to look perfect, just adequate so I went off to buy a can of spray paint. Upon degreasing I found that nitro thinner worked beautifully in getting rid of almost all the dirt. Very tricky to use as it dissolved the clear coat and if one wasn't quick, the disposable towels stuck to the wheel. Still going to improve on these when the clear re-hardens. Another benefit is that they're really shiny now. 

vGUulLp.jpg

1 metre of sticky rubber yay! Even found some BMW hub caps :P might have more somewhere...

TT8ceUM.jpg

• Like 2

Hey guys! Been a while since I've posted but have really been enjoying this thread - love the updates with all your videos and pictures for a while and has really kept my motivation for getting my own little project running for quite a while! So firstly massive props to you all I love it! Well times have changed for me - I've got a new role at work where I will get a company car (VW Passat so nothing to get overly excited about)- so my plan is to sell my car and get an MX5 for trackdays and sunny days driving! I've had an offer accepted and put a deposit on an '03 S-VT so hopefully the seller stays good to his work. Any advise on getting started would be great - things to check on the car, advise for trackdays etc. any help would be awesome! Loads of love to you'll

More BMW spam. But this is the last post for a while, promise. 

Today was one of the best days in my life, period. It started out amazing and then got better by the hour. I did 200 miles on the track. Half of the trackday was on a soaking surface. Got the hang of the car quickly, even posted the best lap by 7 seconds on the first session. As it dried I put on that WTCC rubber from the previous post. And cried. This is what I was missing for the last 2 years. Driving a car which by my standards defies the laws of physics because at peak 1.5g, it feels like the world has tilted 90 degrees but somehow the car is magically chained to the road. I improved on my presonal best by half a second and improved the optimal lap by 1s finishing 4th overall behind two fully aero'ed V8 M3's and a Radical. 

More importantly between my sessions I was driving people around. My boss rents 911's so I thought I'd help him shift them by adding in a 2 lap codrive in the M3 for free. Had to take the offer down because there were so many customers. They were all euphoric after leaving the car and that resulted in some who decided to pay for the codrive alone. This was just an idea initially but I think co-driving this car for $$$ could be a genuinely good business. Had all my customers in the rain with lap times of 2:08 tops and still they were amazed.

Camera mount is a bit wonky and that's the only issue with the car which up until recently was neatly segregated in boxes.

• Like 5

On 9/9/2017 at 7:04 PM, Simpson said:

Any advise on getting started would be great - things to check on the car, advise for trackdays etc. any help would be awesome! Loads of love to you'll

Good man!

Check sills and front chassis legs are ok, then give is a good service (engine oil and filter, gearbox oil, diff oil, flush coolant and refresh). Next step spank it on the road to see if there are any issues. After that, if you want to spend a bit of cash get a decent alignment done from a reputable place, then take it to the track. Don't be suckered into spending loads of money on it to start with - you'll have loads more fun in a standard car and they are surprisingly quick. Enjoy :D

As a complete contrast to "buy cheap car and keep it stock", here's a copypasta from my build thread elsewhere documenting the engine swap I've been waiting ages to do. Despite being a fairly brief account of how things went down, it's a long one so you might want to stick the kettle on...

After a considerable run of being away from home and life getting in the way, things suddenly looked a little more productive. I got married at the end of July (fantastic day, even better evening!) and whisked the new wife away to Paris for the week (lost my wedding ring less than 72hrs later); Some relatively interesting stuff on display on the Champs-Elysse, though waiting in line with kids to squeeze into that thing was more painful than I’d imagined in more ways than one…

eiffel.jpg

abu.jpg

denso.jpg

totaltruck.jpg

toyotagt1.jpg

toyo.jpg

qatar.jpg

renconcept.jpg

kid.jpg

rs2017.jpg

On my return to the UK I found myself working 6 miles from home with evenings and weekends to myself and disposable funds picking up a little. Game on…

When I left the mob, I helped out at a local garage with some engine builds and odd bits. The owner gave me a call and mentioned that he was on holiday for a week, would I mind looking after the keys for him? I see a plan…

113.jpg

In all honesty, I wasn’t really ready to pull the pin and swap things across but this was too good an opportunity to pass up so I jumped right in. I’d actually been considering hunting down a Golf to put it all into, but couldn’t find a black 3dr cheap enough to tempt me. When I inevitably write the Leon off I’ll revisit the idea for sure!

Having a roof over my head, lights for working in the evening and the lift would make life infinitely easier, however I’d never undertaken any work like this before so it was all uncharted territory. Combined with the fact I only had the evenings in which to do this, plus needed to have the car out of the garage before Joe’s return at the weekend, I was going to have to put in a big push to get things done and learn fast. The following is a roughly-chronological run through of how things went down, though as is always the case with these things there was some back-and-forth messing about to make things fit, putting right minor niggles etc.

I got the car on the lift and pulled the front end off. By the end of the first evening, things were stripped down to give full access to the engine and box etc, with fluids drained.

114.jpg

115.jpg

My stockpile of parts was moved to the garage ready to be fitted, along with making Soph’s Golf a rear engined 1.8t for a while. Far easier to use the crane getting it out than dodgy manhandling the engine stand to get it in - I did point out that if the Golf was on air it’d have made life easier but she wasn’t having any of it :(

116.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

The next job was to disconnect things mechanically/electrically, which gave a good chance for me to snoop around and familiarise myself with things I’d not yet played with. My plan had been to label everything I disconnected for ease of reinstallation, but I forgot the masking tape and couldn’t be fecked. Bit oily at the plug for cyl 3 – Fairly confident this was just the valve cover gasket showing signs of death fortunately

119.jpg

120.jpg

Not too much later, I had everything disconnected and rigged the crane up. By the end of Tuesday evening, this was the result:

121.jpg

Interesting to snoop around the things I’d not yet given much consideration and see how it was all laid out in the bay. I’m used to tracing systems on board submarines so this was all far more convenient, but I guess not something many people will ever opt to do!

Quick split hose fix. I’d like to revisit a lot of the standard systems here to tidy them up/remove redundancy where I can, though this’ll have to wait until things are running right.

split1.jpg

split1fix.jpg

Also fiddled about with a TFSI coilpack harness trim to make it fit and tidy things up a smidge. Not perfect, but it’ll do until I find time to sort out the rest.

tfsiharness1.jpg

tfsiharness2.jpg

Next up was to prep the bay for the new turbo etc. This involved predominantly heatshielding things and minor modifications/rerouting of pipework and electrics.

Lightly tickled the steering knuckle for clearance:

122.jpg

Removed air con fwd of the bulkhead:

123.jpg

Even found time to offer up the new 3” catback system. Will need a couple of minor tweaks to suit the Leon (rear bumper exit is located somewhat differently as you can see, for example) but no biggy:

124.jpg

125.jpg

I also got the aux belt on. As I’d removed AC this needed to be shorter than stock, and I ended up with an 1123 IIRC (for anyone who stumbles across this in the future when searching, though due to the tensioner you’d get away with anything a few mm either side of this so don’t take it as gospel!)

126.jpg

By the time I was done, I’d thrown in a fair load more heat protection, though doesn’t look too bad in this photo. Anything in the vicinity of the turbo has been either wrapped in tape or Nimbus type alu shield, and the DP will also be wrapped to help keep things a little cooler.

127.jpg

Frustratingly I had a few issues with the cover plate for the SMF I’d planned to run, and given how pushed for time I was, I opted to stick with the standard DMF for now – it’s something I’m keen to revisit down the line, so at some point I’ll pull the box back out, fit the SMF and have the clutch plate relined. I bolted the box to the engine and swung things into place once more. I’d done this already, but only on the crane to check what needed work for clearance and this was the first time the new setup would be on its own mounts.

128.jpg

I fitted a set of spare engine mounts that I’d filled with polyurethane. A number of people are doing this now, with most opting for a durometer in the region of 85A, however since this will be used predominantly as a daily for the foreseeable future I didn’t want to go too harsh so settled on a 70A durometer instead. Time will tell if this is a good shout, but I can always throw together a harder set if needs be – it’ll all come down to NVH in the cabin.

129.jpg

130.jpg

With the exception of one iffy thread in the gearbox mount (no helicoils to hand, replacement ready to go in) all went well, though this was largely thanks to having the engine crane, lift and trolley jacks to hand to manhandle things. Fair play to anyone who single handedly does this without that lot!

131.jpg

Next job was to get the downpipe tacked up. Fortunately the k04-064 conversion puts this into a relatively simple spot, so there’s nothing too awful to workaround. That said, I’m certainly no welder so didn’t fancy welding it up myself, and was fortunate enough to have one of the welders from the dockyard kindly offer to TIG it all for me. Thanks, Carl!

132.jpg

One section at a time I tacked things up until it came out in the right place

133.jpg

Looking something like this:

134.jpg

That done, I handed it over to my friendly welder and set about connecting up the assortment of hoses/wiring that needed to go back on. Fortunately no major snags here despite my lack of labelling – most things are fairly obvious and can only go one way really. Couple of light tweaks needed – extending the n75 wiring and fitting a different connector to suit the FSI offering, and at some point I’ll likely fiddle with the injector harness since I’d like to tuck the wiring away for that to tidy things up. Nothing too tricky there though, fortunately!

135.jpg

You’ll notice that the FMIC hotside and TIP aren’t currently connected up – this is another case of “Luke’s not a welder” syndrome sadly. Being alu I couldn’t even tack these together, however I’m hoping to have those sorted in the next week so fingers crossed. All mocked up though ready to go.

136.jpg

With (almost) everything connected, it was time to go through and top up fluids. I was pretty thorough when assembling things, but gave it all a once over prior to sticking any liquid in the bay. Coolant, PS fluid, oil all ok.

137.jpg

Topped up the clutch fluid and went to bleed it only to find it wee weeing out onto the floor. Not a massive problem per se, but I needed to get the car out of the garage by the end of the night as the garage owner was back to work the following morning!

Here’s the culprit:

138.jpg

This’d been bent when I’d removed the box a few days before, however refused to seal when I connected it back up so I can only assume I’d made it worse. I was unsure if it was purely the fact it’d bent that was causing it to leak, so first task was to straighten it out.

139.jpg

Fail.

Replaced the o-ring.

140.jpg

Fail.

Tried wrapping it in a load of amalgamating silicone tape, with a good load of insulation tape on top to try and seal things in (long shot, given how much pressure it’s under in use):

141.jpg

Temporary success, swiftly followed by fail.

In the end, I repeated all the above with some additional PTFE tape on the inside and it held long enough to bleed the pedal. I’d like to revisit this as a matter of relative urgency but not sure the best way to go. Part number for the dealer seems to be the complete hose from pedal to box, where as I only need this last 100mm or so of hard line. I’m aware that ECS offer a billet bleed block but that’s not the issue here so reluctant to spend out on that. Realistically I’d like to find something that retains the standard gearbox side and bleed nipple, with a standard brake fitting on the hose side (as seen in the photo above on the RHS of the hard line. That way I could simply replace the hard line with a short flexi and be done with it!

With fluids all seemingly ok, it was time to think about turning the key. I unplugged the injectors and coilpacks to ensure nothing was going to happen inside the engine, and turned it over on the starter. No strange noises which is always a bonus, and a quick look in the top after a few more cranks showed that oil pressure had been sufficient to start moving oil around inside the engine, though the Redline assembly lube I’d used was still doing the job and hadn’t worn off yet.

At this point I plugged in the laptop to ensure there were no horrors or ommissions:

142.jpg

I connected up the coils and injectors and held my breath as I turned the key. Fortunately not for too long, as the engine jumped into life relatively quickly. As oil circulated for the first time properly, things quietened down a little and became less tappy, however a lack of exhaust made for a rather loud first run! Unsurprisingly, with no lambda due to no exhaust, and no MAF due to no TIP, the engine wasn’t idling overly smoothly but this wasn’t a major concern. I do need to compression test the engine still, which I should have done sooner but forgot. Hope I don’t live to regret it…

Not sure if I can embed YouTube videos directly here (advice gladly listened to!) but here's proof the thing ran, albeit somewhata lumpy due to no MAF/labda etc connected up:

http://www.youtube.c...bed/GSRHvCyOrIw

I ran the engine up to temperature, before a short fast idle. Rinse and repeat, then I dropped all the fluids for the first time. I’d been using a cheap mineral oil for first start since it was going to be short lived, and replaced with more of the same which I’ll run for the first hundred miles or so before switching to something a little better.

Content that things were mostly as they should be, I stuck the front end back on. I needed to get the car back on its wheels and out of the garage.

143.jpg

Having loaded the boot with all my shoot (excluding the old box and engine, which were tucked out of harm’s way for later collection) I made a rather loud and obnoxious trip home. No lambda/MAF made things rather interesting as of course the car has no way of knowing how much air was coming in (not that the turbo was connected to the intake at this point anyway!) and the lack of lambda meant it couldn’t even make a best guess from the exhaust fumes either, so whilst it was ok at steady state, any transients (junctions etc) were a little touch and go. Fortunately years of riding brakeless bikes have me pretty well trained in reading far enough ahead to pre-empt other users and with the exception of some interesting looks, I made it home in one piece with no ASBO.

144.jpg

Celebratory dairy products

145.jpg 

And that’s where it sat for a week or so, really. As much as Soph understood that after 18 months of putting this off to pay for houses/weddings/etc I was keen to get on with it, I'd neglected her far more than I should whilst being a social recluse in the garage so I put it on the back burner to spend some more time with her - can't have her filing for divorce JUST yet.

I need to get the exhaust tip sorted, though there’s no mad rush for that. Higher priority are getting the alu TIP/TOP welded up and putting together a suitable turbo oil return line. I’d knocked one up temporarily from k03 parts I had spare but it fouls the driveshaft. No biggy, an hour in the garage one evening should sort that.

146.jpg

147.jpg

I picked up the DP a few days later and very pleased with the way it’s come out. Sadly a lack of functional power tools meant I’ve had to open up the bosses for the lambda/EGT sensors with files which took forever, but that’s now wrapped up and good to go on. I’d hoped to fit these yesterday but rain stopped play.

148.jpg

149.jpg

Got it all wrapped up to help with engine bay temps and try to mitigate againt the fact it's now closer to a number of fuel/brake lines, so hopefully should be ok.

150.jpg

Popped the car up on stands on the drive last night. I now have an exhaust! It's still rather loud, which I'm hoping will settle down a touch once things get a bit coked up, but then again it's a full 3" decat system with a 3.5" expansion chamber, so it's never going to be stealthy, and the exhaust gases now exit the correct end of the vehicle so I'd better just take the small victories.

stands.jpg

dpin.jpg

dpsensors.jpg

vband1.jpg

vbandexhaust.jpg

And that pretty much brings things up to speed.

With a bit of luck, I plan on having the intake and charge pipe welded up this week which will allow me to have them fitted soon - I was away last weekend and again the one coming which stunted progress somewhat but as much as lift-sharing with Soph makes plenty of economical/environmental sense, it's boring and inconvenient and I want to get back in the LCR ASAP!

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Good man!

Check sills and front chassis legs are ok, then give is a good service (engine oil and filter, gearbox oil, diff oil, flush coolant and refresh). Next step spank it on the road to see if there are any issues. After that, if you want to spend a bit of cash get a decent alignment done from a reputable place, then take it to the track. Don't be suckered into spending loads of money on it to start with - you'll have loads more fun in a standard car and they are surprisingly quick. Enjoy :D

Great thanks Adam! Been loving all your posts and how involved you've got - looks like your having a lot of fun out there! Hopefully the car can stay standard - the cars done 78k and not had a cam-belt change - I guess that I should really get that replaced straight away?

1 minute ago, MadManMike said:

That's a point actually, MOT testers are allowed to test their own cars... That's dodgy as fook lol

:P 

Theres a bit of corrosion I'll have to advise on and my wipers need changing.. can PRS those and keep my stats climbing in a favourable fashion haha 

9 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

No probs. Yeah, got waaayyy too far in and pulled back a bit now, ha. Depending on which engine you have it may not be worth doing, 1.6, 1.8, 1.8VVT?

Yeah I don't see myself having enough time to be going mental for it but I'll stick my toe in and see how hard it bites. Its the 1.8VVT - you think cam is worth doing?