Mini's On The Trials Forum

Tom Booth

Yeah, I'd keep a-series or go for a swap to an engine that's the same weight or lighter, and somewhere between 100 and 150bhp, preferably with plenty of revs. Liam's k-series swap was for exactly that reason, fun. As great as the a-series is, having paid good money for a decent 1293 for it to then last 2 years before killing its self, the prospect of doing it all again wasn't so fun. With the light k-series in it it still drives like a mini (it's still on 10s) goes well, and he doesn't have to worry about breaking the engine, because it's just how it was designed to be, and even if he does, it'll cost pennies to get it back on the road and him grinning again. The lack of straight-cuts does suck though haha.

B16s are to refined for minis. Supercharged a series is a flawed method at the minute in my opinion,unless someone gets good results from this new slark setup I can't see much changing either. Turbo motors are fun in a straightline,but on the twistys you do have to be careful with the loud pedal, especially with a t3. Can't go wrong with a Lairy well built 1293/1380 in my books. Fast enough for the chassis of a mini, doesn't affect the awesome handling of a mini and always looks good. My next project motor will be a Lairy small bore hopefully.

An a series of some sort does seem most likely, but I'm still going to leave it open probably til I buy something.

First priorities are to strengthen the shell up and do a bit of welding here and there. Got a few tiny holes under the rear seat and drivers footwell then going to paint my interior to match cause its white underneath.

Anybody lifted an engine out using manpower? I've removed most things, might take the head off too and want the engine out but my drive/garage would be very awkward for a crane I think and I've got a few burley mates. I'm more concerned about how to lift it out . Ie what to grip on too or use to lift it.

I haven't lifted one out but weedy ol' me and my weedy ol' dad have moved one from the driveway to the shed out back by strapping it up and using some scaffold tube to lift against. Getting enough height to actually lift the engine out is the only real issue I can see if you have burley mates to help. You could use a longer scaffold tube and get a few lifting it out. I've lifted blocks and gearboxes (separately) in and out before but I have a removable front. What I'm saying is, I'm not that strong and I can lift a block on its probably doable with a few mates.

I found it easier to raise the body high and lower the engine to the floor with my camper, then just tilt the engine on its side onto a trolley jack (or some wheel skates if you have any) and pull it free

This. leave the engine on the subframe, unbolt the subframe and pick the bodywork off the engine/subframe.

easily done with 2 people

Yeah, if you've got a fixed from it's easier to lift the car over the engine. Plus if anything goes wrong and it gets dropped it's less likely to do any visible damage. With a flip front 2 average blokes can lift it out fine, but like you say, it's the height that's the issue with a fixed front. You should try lifting a VW diesel! 2 of us only managed to get it about an inch off the floor. :lol:

Ouch! To be fair we were lifting it awkwardly (out of my Scirocco's boot). A k-series on the other hand can comfortably be picked up by 2 guys, even with the box and all ancillaries on it, or not so comfortably by 1.

Good luck getting it out anyway, I'm sure you'll find a way.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone want a nice little project? We've got a Mini in work that's being sold off as an incomplete project, basically a rolling shell with a bunch of other parts.

Basic rundown of the spec:

80's shell, straight and completely rust free, it was fairly good to start with, we've repaired anything that wasn't tip-top, it's in high-build primer inside and out.

Tubbed and turreted out back on coilovers, fibreglass boot floor with space for an alloy tank.

Rear beam axle, not sure of make or anything but it's made from box section and looks like it'll work fine.

Bulkhead's boxed for webers, and boxed for a turbo, so you could run either.

Carbon roof, old one's cut out, new one's ready to bond on after paint.

Safety-devices roll cage welded in with a harness bar added.

Fiberglass doors.

Polycarb windows with sliders in the fronts

Fiberglass bootlid.

Fiberglass 2 piece dash (dash, centre-consul, gauge pod).

Carbon flip-front (gelcoat finish ready for paint).

Fibreglass bonnet.

Hydraulic hand brake fitted and original moved back to clear it.

Also comes with a turbo engine (no idea of spec/condition, just that it's a genuine metro turbo one) solid but tatty looking assembled front subframe and maybe more parts. We've only got the rolling shell at work, so I don't know exactly what other parts he's got for it, but it's all up for sale due to somewhat unfortunate circumstances.

The chap's after £2750, which I think's fair considering the spec and how much any Mini that's genuinely rust free's going for now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not even sure if I've ever posted pics of this in here so here she is, Rosie my hill climb and sprint car.

Would take me a while to list the full spec of it but its got a Metro 1275, Stage 4 head, CBR Fireblade carbs, Fiesta brakes, John Alley roll cage ect ect. I can list everything if you "really" want to know :wink:

417879_515587905169167_124889825_n_zpsa9

733797_514202681974356_1377528744_n_zps8

44405_514202675307690_963307658_n_zpsa40

941311_523340277727263_1719722888_n_zpse

599109_490341241027167_492620237_n_zps19

Damn it Danny :P

Ok here goes:

Spec:

Engine:
Metro 1275 A+

Metro Electronic ignition
Bill Richards Stage 4 head 31mm/36mm
1.5 ratio Roller Rockers

MED lightened / toughened pushrods
200lb double valve springs
Bronze valve guides
Twin Keihin Fireblade carbs

Custom made twin inlet manifold (made from twin HS4 manifold, ported and had additional pipe welded onto the end to suit the bike carbs)
Facet Solid state fuel pump
Fuel pressure regulator
Kent 286 cam
Vernier Duplex timing gear
Maniflow stage 3 LCB, link pipe and single centre exit backbox
19 row oil cooler
High flow water pump
Alloy superfin 2 core radiator
Steel 2 blade radiator fan

Force Racing rose jointed engine and gearbox steadies
Ultimate engine steady

Gearbox:
Standard A+ gearbox
Centre Oil pickup
3.1:1 Final drive
MED 3.9kg lightened flywheel
Competition clutch
Orange Clutch Diaphragm
Braided clutch lines
KAD quickshift

Brakes:
Mk1 Fiesta front Calipers
7.9" discs
Goodridge braided lines
Front brake cooling ducts

MiniFin rear drums

Suspension:
Front GAZ Adjustable shocks, rear Spax adjustable shocks
Hi-lows
Rear adjustable negative camber brackets
Front 1.5deg negative camber bottom arms
Adjustable Tie rods
Powerflex Poly bushes all round

Wheels / Tyres:
10x6 Revolutions
165/70/10 Falken FK-07E tyres

Interior:
John Alley Full roll cage

Remote battery kill switch

Fire extinguisher
Arc Angels S300 Fibreglass dash

Removed stalks and made custom wired in switches on dashboard for lights, wipers and other auxilleries
KOSO DB02r digital instruments

TIM gauges
Laranca quick release steering boss

13" by 3" dish leather steering wheel
Cobra Monaco S bucket seats
TRS 3" webbed 5 point rotary harness
Sparco 2" webbed 4 point harness

TerraTrip Clubman intercom with 2x practice headsets and 2x V2 Open face Helmets + Headsets

Holes filled in front and rear bulkhead and rear parcel shelf to meet MSA requirements

Exterior:
Curley Fibreglass front end

Custom timing strut

TRS tow straps front and rear
RS Turbo Fibreglass bonnet
Lifeline MSA Formula mirrors
Arc Angels Fibreglass boot lid
Mini Sport Group 2 arches
ABS Motorsport perspex windows all round (apart from glass windscreen)
Single Skin doors with pull string door release (MPI doors with door bars)

Drilled door and boot handles
Mini Spares Competition Anti-roll bar

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm going to have to sell my mini :'( Going to put it back on the road first though and have a play til it sells, I'd love to keep it but it just isn't the right time for me to have have two cars and isn't suitable for what I'm after.

I'll need some bits to put it back on the road though so if anyones got any bits I may need then shout up. I'd need a full exhaust, door cards, seats and a few other small bits.

I'll certainly get another once I'm more financially stable.

Man I've always wanted a mini. Recently applied for a motor vehicle maintenance course, should hopefully help me get on a path to building up my own mini.

Anyone got any tips? I'd love to buy a fully kitted out mini but I feel it'd be far more special doing it up with my dad.

The main thing is get a solid shell. Then just bolt on whatever you like.

My clubman came home at the weekend (it's been in various other peoples garages for the past few years)

post-1-0-69883500-1369908394_thumb.jpg

Ive just got to crack on with it now.