Mini's On The Trials Forum

Tom Booth

Just get hunting, don't buy half done projects. They'll be bits missing, bad welding and bodges gallore. Just keep your eyes peeled on the bay.

Danny, that garage is massive! Looks good. When you starting the clubby?.

• Like 1

Advice - Mk3s were the best shells, minis were in there prime then so blmc chucked money at them left right and center, there a better grade of materials and generally had more care and time spent on them in production. Buy one with a v5 full stop, don't buy a ID'less shell just on the merits its solid. If you are buying a project, make sure you know all the work that's been done, buying a shell from a mini 'expert' to find on its first mot it fails on substandard welding isn't cool. Also find out what's there and what's not there, check over what's been removed from the car and look at the condition, generally set yourself up to walk away from a few, minis take very good pictures(just look at prawns :P). I'd also advise if your buying a project shell, buy something unpainted if it's been paneled. You know what's under the paint then, rather then finding a skin of filler falls off the rear quater one day.

Spend asmany hours as you can searching through project pages and build diaries. You'll find out more what to look fors reading those then you will speaking to folk.

Just enjoy it too, and when it's built and finished, don't expect it to drive like a fiesta or a micra. It's a much much different beast. :P

• Like 1

Toms advice is very good. To look at build threads join theminiforum. Some great inspiration on there.

I'm not entirely sure of the year but I think it might be 1991 that they changed the materials slightly for the shells making them rust even more. The most usual spots to look for rust are probably the floor pans, sills and scuttle panels etc.

God I'm going to miss mine. Insurance quote I've just got was mega cheap though so going to have some fun over the summer first :)

Earlier then that I thought dunc, early to mid 80s when they started doing the designer and mayfairs to boost sales I thought. The 90s onwards shells are horse shit, next big purchase for me will be an earlier shell.

Already joined the mini forum :D

So tempting just to go all out and save up to buy a fresh fully built car but where's the fun in that?! Also great advice Tom, really helpful. Really need to get my laptop sorted out soon... Phone browsing is no fun.

I'm not expecting it to drive well, it's the fact I'd be driving a mini that would make it so special. I've wanted one in my life ever since I saw the italian job when I was a kid and always admire them every time I see them, and been to a couple of mini rallys in Brighton and it's just so good haha.

Already joined the mini forum :D

So tempting just to go all out and save up to buy a fresh fully built car but where's the fun in that?! Also great advice Tom, really helpful. Really need to get my laptop sorted out soon... Phone browsing is no fun.

I'm not expecting it to drive well, it's the fact I'd be driving a mini that would make it so special. I've wanted one in my life ever since I saw the italian job when I was a kid and always admire them every time I see them, and been to a couple of mini rallys in Brighton and it's just so good haha.

I think you missunderstood the thing about them driving differently, they drive VERY well, it's the modern stuff that drives badly. OK there's a few areas that are technically better with modern stuff, but a Mini is much, much more fun, and it's only the tiny tyres that stops them keeping up with modern cars.

I'd be careful buying a pre-built car, people bodge stuff, lots, plus there's the people that genuinely think they've done it all 'properly' but haven't at all. Buying a project can be ok, but you as said ideally you want to see it before paint, and have a really good look around it.

Duncy, if you need any silly little bits then let me know, we've got loads of random parts at work. Nothing much shiny and nice, but all those fiddly bits you forget exist until you need them to put the thing back together.

Spoke to my dad and he's happy to go through with the idea, man this makes me happy :D

If it happens which it should, I'll make a build progress thread somewhere, dunno if it deserves it's own topic or if I should put it here haha...

If anyone spots any good uns near Brighton let me know! There's one I have my eye on but it ends in a few days, not sure we can whip the cash up by then.

Spoke to my dad and he's happy to go through with the idea, man this makes me happy :D

If it happens which it should, I'll make a build progress thread somewhere, dunno if it deserves it's own topic or if I should put it here haha...

If anyone spots any good uns near Brighton let me know! There's one I have my eye on but it ends in a few days, not sure we can whip the cash up by then.

There will be loooooooads more if you miss it. If you want any advice or anything extra pop the link up

There will be loooooooads more if you miss it. If you want any advice or anything extra pop the link up

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1991-ROVER-MINI-COOPER-RED-BLACK-Unfinished-Project-/290921090108

I really do hope so, if it goes for 500 or so I'll be upset as in a few weeks I would probably have been able to afford it.

My dad speaks of doing an old morris up as well which I'm not too sure about, seems to be his childhood dream car :P

Edited by JMCD

I don't know what others think but that screams out to me that there will be hidden nastyness underneath. I like the fact the door step rot isn't even mentioned :w00t:

Edit: Decided if I have any spare money after swapping cars round I'm going to get myself a clubbie project. Always had a soft spot for clubbies

Edited by Duncy H
  • Like 1

Yeah doesn't look good I agree I'll be happy to pass it on. Realistically looking at buying something around the first week of July or last week of June, birthday is the 9th July.

I love the look of clubbies too, I've sorta always wanted a mini van too ha! But they seem rare as heck. I wonder how sizable they are. Would probably have to take both wheels on a stock out.

Stick a 12g940 on there with abit a pocketing and maybe a 266 cam and enjoy it dude. I miss how care free my 998 was, I was always thinking 'shit what was that noise' with my turbo motor, whereas the 998 got hammered constantly and loved it.

With my Mini, the 'shit what is that noise!?' moment was the bottom end giving up, and getting 5mm play in the crank! :P

I loved my Mini though, it was such a little heap of shit, but so much fun to thrash about in! :)

It is tempting, think if rather just put a head on rather than spending on a cam and pocketing too. Needs to be lowish budget.

Here's how it's sitting anyway...

null_zps7619ca7b.jpg

Engine bay

null_zpsc97f80f8.jpg

Bores don't look too shabby.

null_zps98b31856.jpg

Provisional plans are..

-Recaro rs/turbo seats

-Improved head

-New exhaust

-Weld engine mount/steady on

-Paint engine and engine bay

-Put back together and get it on the road.