Mini's On The Trials Forum

Tom Booth

Oh a stand? What will you be offering?

To be honest, I doubt I'll have any mini parts developed in time. I'll be hoping to get a few bit's sorted in the long term though. First bits I'm planning are adjustable tubular radius arms and top arms. I expect all I'll have ready by then's some Audi wishbones though! I've been offered some stand space for free, so I'll bring along anything I've got really. (You'll find me tagged on the side of Arc-Angels' stand.)

Been doing more work on that mini ready for paint. Keep finding scabs and rot though (N)

BAD3D27A-8F93-4BB2-BF44-5B250C162CE9-10255-0000106786FF03C5.jpg

Really tempted once I can afford to get a new car (to me) to strip the mini, go weight weenie mad and go r1 powered and turn it into a Lairy toy. I fancy tackling a project and I am wanting something fast since my trip to mem rally team. :)

Edited by Duncy H

I'll happily make up a kit to go zx10r for you, along with some nice weight weenie tubular top arms and radius arms ;) Has that mini got tubbed arches or have I just forgotten how high they sit as standard!

I made up and welded in some mounts for the crotch strap on the 6 point harnesses in the Mini I've been doing today, along with a little more cleaning up and contouring, then got half way through fitting the battery box and chased up some parts for it. Slow but steady progress.

To be honest, I doubt I'll have any mini parts developed in time. I'll be hoping to get a few bit's sorted in the long term though. First bits I'm planning are adjustable tubular radius arms and top arms. I expect all I'll have ready by then's some Audi wishbones though! I've been offered some stand space for free, so I'll bring along anything I've got really. (You'll find me tagged on the side of Arc-Angels' stand.)

I'll come find you.

Also, I don't know what you have set up at the moment but I want/need something machining. Could you do steering rack extensions to run rose joints? 1/2" UNF L/H and R/H thread in some Stainless hex bar?

Ooh it's tempting robin! The one thing that's putting me off is the huge cost of conversion parts like subframe and bits and pieces. I saw an r1 mini last week and that had a lot of standard running gear including the diff which more tickles my pickle.

That mini has had new springs and hi Los put in so I just presume it is sat high due to that but no the arches haven't been tubbed.

I keep saying I'll stick up some more photos of the mini I've been doing, so here they finally are:

Drives side metal starting to go back in, new doorstep, new floor/inner sill, fabricated jacking-point, rebuilt subframe mount:

post-4312-0-12607900-1346791581_thumb.jp

Rear arches tubbed:

post-4312-0-98710200-1346791331_thumb.jp

Tunnel widened to gain exhaust clearance around the remote shifter (you can see where about 1" extra's been added in the middle infront of the shifter, then tapering back to standard width after it):

post-4312-0-11259400-1346791168_thumb.jp

And all ground back:

post-4312-0-38856900-1346791247_thumb.jp

Seat mounts fabricated and welded in, including 6 point harness crotch strap mounting points:

post-4312-0-69748200-1346791641_thumb.jppost-4312-0-37136200-1346791733_thumb.jp

Brace across the base of the main roll-hoop and a harness bar added to the cage:

post-4312-0-47220000-1346791881_thumb.jppost-4312-0-06017700-1346791938_thumb.jppost-4312-0-16542700-1346791957_thumb.jp

B-pillars reinforced where the door bins had been removed:

post-4312-0-48544600-1346791981_thumb.jp

That brings things about up to date, it's taking longer than I'd like, but it's getting there.

Sorry, missed the last 2 post somehow :S I'm sure they didn't show as new?

I'll come find you.

Also, I don't know what you have set up at the moment but I want/need something machining. Could you do steering rack extensions to run rose joints? 1/2" UNF L/H and R/H thread in some Stainless hex bar?

Yeah, feel free to come take a look if I've got anything done. I'm hoping too, it just depends how desperate a show trailer I'm making becomes. I don't have much in the way of kit at the moment (I'm borrowing everything at the moment.) but that sounds like a good idea for something to make though, I'll have to see if I can get a batch made up for me by someone local.

Ooh it's tempting robin! The one thing that's putting me off is the huge cost of conversion parts like subframe and bits and pieces. I saw an r1 mini last week and that had a lot of standard running gear including the diff which more tickles my pickle.

That mini has had new springs and hi Los put in so I just presume it is sat high due to that but no the arches haven't been tubbed.

Yeah, unfortunately the conversion kits are pricey, and I couldn't really undercut them massively, but I'm pretty confident I could better the design of most kits I've seen. I think the Pro-motive kit uses a standard diff in a new casing doesn't it? I don't think bike conversions are ever going to be a hugely budget option unless you've got a lot of skill and kit to hand. I think the k-series is hard to beat in terms of power/weight/cost ratio. Lighter than an a-series, 160+ brake for a few hundred quid and the conversion doesn't need anything expensive, It's just a subframe, some shafts and a bit of wiring really.

Edited by RobinJI

Sorry, missed the last 2 post somehow :S I'm sure they didn't show as new?

Yeah, feel free to come take a look if I've got anything done. I'm hoping too, it just depends how desperate a show trailer I'm making becomes. I don't have much in the way of kit at the moment (I'm borrowing everything at the moment.) but that sounds like a good idea for something to make though, I'll have to see if I can get a batch made up for me by someone local.

Ok Robin, I've seen them available but I just wanted to know if you could do better on price.

Interested to see what you've been working on, Mini or not.

The work on the Miglia looks good!

Yeh if I needed something I'd deffinately be in touch! Even for the money the generic subframes and kits don't seem very special.

I dont like the idea of anything non a series or bike engined. I like a series cause they are original and fairly simple and easy to tinker with which is whys series is the other option for me. With bike engines it just excites me more, all the way they rev and the tinkering ability etc.

But when speccing out an a series it can eventually cost the same as a bike conversion and would be about the same powerish as a standard bike engine so I have more scope for the future.

It's all ideas in my head at the moment though.

Yeh if I needed something I'd deffinately be in touch! Even for the money the generic subframes and kits don't seem very special.

I dont like the idea of anything non a series or bike engined. I like a series cause they are original and fairly simple and easy to tinker with which is whys series is the other option for me. With bike engines it just excites me more, all the way they rev and the tinkering ability etc.

But when speccing out an a series it can eventually cost the same as a bike conversion and would be about the same powerish as a standard bike engine so I have more scope for the future.

It's all ideas in my head at the moment though.

Ever considered a Bandit 1200 engine? I've never seen one in a Mini and I don't know why not. They make 120bhp with a loud can, maximum torque at 3500rpm but the curve stays pretty flat right to 7000ish, and they have a stupidly strong crank, gearbox and clutch. Seems like a very ripe contender for a conversion to me. Especially when you consider the amount of knowledge/experience there is available for when it comes to tuning them, although would you want any more than 120bhp in a mini?

yes, lots more!

120bhp from a 1200 seems lazy compared to 160bhp from a 1000 with an R1 engine. I know the delivery and torque is different, but sticking a screamer in a mini is half the fun!

Yeh but that's what would appeal to me, a fairly big lazy engine with a flat torque curve, but so much torque/power that it'd be torque steering all over the place. Surely 120bhp in a Mini is enough for a b-road weapon? If you were doing a lot of track days or drag racing then sure, but I'm thinking for the future for a toy/project to play in on a sunny summers evening. :P If it's not enough, you can fit GSXR1100 cams and carbs for about 145bhp, then bored them out to 1340.

How much is a "decent" enough projectish mini? I know I can get a Bandit engine for about £500 (although I'd probably buy a write off and break it, then sell the rest). Maybe I should look at a cheaper car to start with, like a Micra. :P

Also it is difficult to mount a bandit engine due to the angle the drive/sprocket the engine has.

Ah I see. So because the chain has to run vertically downwards (I'm guessing) it would foul on the gear lever shaft?

If it was mounted in the back then it wouldn't be an issue though...

Trouble is if you're after 120bhp, with a torque curve from 3500 to 7000 then you can put a 1.6/1-8 k-series in for a lot less money and with a lot less complication, and you'll end up with lower maintenance as a result, as well as much lower running/maintenance costs. I think the only way to justify a bike engine in my eyes is if you're wanting a screamer. Even then I'm not 100% unless the car's going to see more track use than road.

Edit, Thanks Nick, yeah, the seats and harnesses bolt straight through the floor and box/plate, with a penny washer on the outside just for good measure, although it's not really needed it keeps things neat. It gets the seats pretty damn low, but the side mounts give a decent amount of adjustment to get it back up to a good height for smaller people.

Edited by RobinJI

• 2 weeks later...