The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

Can't remember who, but someone was asking about the Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 VC

Here's a few samples at various widths and apertures. Even in extreme backlit situations both sharpness and contrast remain perfect right into the corners, but the thing that most impresses me so far is the fact there's virtually no chromatic abberation or lens flare even in the most abhorrent lighting situations. It's a thing of beauty!

Also I highly recommend clicking the photos to see them properly, they seem soft where TF has resampled them in the actual post.

20mm, f/11

DSC_1668.jpg

15mm, f/11

DSC_1672.jpg

15mm, f/11

DSC_1920.jpg

30mm, f/8

DSC_2049.jpg

30mm f/2.8

DSC_2064.jpg

15mm f/6.3 1/20th sec handheld with VC on

22119253055_70033bc9df_o.jpg

Edited by Mike Deere
Added photo.
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I was asking £375 for the 7d but will do £350 as a t-f price :) I'd guess mid way on shutter count, tried all morning to get a count but failed. It's got cable, charger, 4gb card, manuals and I'm sure I can find a strap to chuck in with it. It's in good used condition with the odd mark here and there but nothing major. I've got some more pics to show some more detail...

11116316_10153451379667935_2651948560385

12038788_10153451379687935_5262052293343

12028809_10153451379662935_2273168818606

Edited by Duncy H

• 1 month later...

Loving that Mike.

Has anyone got any experience with the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens

Ive been toying with the idea of something nice and wide, i appreicate this isnt the fastest lens in the world but that doesnt really bother me.

Also Thanks to @Duncy H im absolutly loving the 7D.

Not shot with the 7D but a recent one from a walk in the city.

_MG_7133-Edit-2.thumb.jpg.34ab7d33164f46

• 4 weeks later...

Enjoyed taking a look through that, thanks for sharing!

Recently shot a few biking pictures with the little canon eos m. It's very handy for being small and lightweight so can go in my bag.

12377930_10153571631652935_6749802183498

12370964_10153570025377935_6016466147587

12309644_10153540266547935_1101061667542

If anyone could share some opinions on steadycams I would really appreciate it as i've been given a project/work that involves shooting a video. I have one at the moment but it is a total nightmare to balance and I usually end up giving up before getting it set up. Ideally around the £50 mark but will spend more and to suit a DSLR.

Cheers.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Shot a bunch of photos yesterday using a 5D MkIII (and some decent Canon glass) I was borrowing.  Pretty much felt like I'd just used some kind of photographer cheat code.  That camera is nuts.  Don't actually have any photographic evidence of this, but I think some of the photos will be appearing online here and there in the near future.  The shutter action felt a bit weird after using a 550D/7D for the past few years, but that aside it was super good.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Shot a bunch of photos yesterday using a 5D MkIII (and some decent Canon glass) I was borrowing.  Pretty much felt like I'd just used some kind of photographer cheat code.  That camera is nuts.  Don't actually have any photographic evidence of this, but I think some of the photos will be appearing online here and there in the near future.  The shutter action felt a bit weird after using a 550D/7D for the past few years, but that aside it was super good.

FULL FRAME = WIN

Very much so.  It was incredibly eye-opening in the sense that I went from using Adam's 7D at the same place with the same subjects, light levels, etc., and as soon as I switched to the 5D it was like someone else was taking the photos (if that makes sense).  Just a night and day difference between them.

Yeah, and I use Paul's Nikon D750 at weddings when we're chilling, that is a new ball game all together. ISO4000 without even thinking about it. Hoping the 5d mk4 is going to kick ass. All I want is a better focus system in low light and greater ISO handling. All the other bells and whistles don't really matter. I'll be leaving it a year though as I can imagine the price will be scary. 

• Like 1

I noticed the difference most when I was out in Canada and all my pals had a 5d and I just couldn't capture the same image as they could with my 7d. So I bit the bullet and bought one there (much cheaper) and never looked back.

Not really shot many photos with it for a while though. Got a few fun work projects coming up that will sort that out though. 

Yeah, I've said it before but wish I'd bought my first camera and just bought awesome primes lens to go with it. Then ignored all the other bodies and gone full frame. I think everyone gets a basic body and a cheap 50mm. Then a zoom or wide. Then a new camera that's a little faster maybe etc. Then a fancier lens...then another body, and another lens. I've sold all my zooms bar the 16-35mm and use primes right through to 135mm.

I'm quite lucky in that sense that I've never really bought any camera gear apart from my 50mm 1.2 and 5d III as my dad always had gear I could borrow. I am planning a couple of trips this year. One or both is going to be long term, to Canada again and New Zealand. The only equipment I have that I can take out is my 5d and the 50mm. I was considering purchasing a 135mm f2 and a canon 15mm fisheye f2.8 to go with it. Is that a good idea or should I get a zoom wide angle like a 17-40mm?

3 hours ago, MadManMike said:

WTF is up with second hand places selling for silly money?

Can get a new D750 on eBay for £1,099 with a three year warranty, but some second hand places are selling "mint" ones for £1,200.

It's not second hand places selling for silly money, it's the fact the ones on eBay are grey imports. 

So yeah, that three year warranty? Not worth the HTML it's written in. 

11 minutes ago, Mike Deere said:

It's not second hand places selling for silly money, it's the fact the ones on eBay are grey imports. 

So yeah, that three year warranty? Not worth the HTML it's written in. 

It's a UK company though, Richmond Cameras if I remember correctly. I wouldn't trust a Hong Kong warranty or anything, but this company looked legit and had 100% positive feedback.