The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

It's an old camera now but will still produce a decent photo. So yeah you should buy mr Hayes's ;)

Ahaa, bonjour.

Yeah, it seems pretty good.

I just sold my full Olympus OM setup, I got some awesome results with film photography at car shows and things and I loved the whole setup. But DSLR is just so much friendlier for every day use. Everytime I use one I want one.

Got a new camera for Christmas, havn't posted up any of the photos yet so here is some of my favourites. Taken with a Nikon Coolpix L120, looked online for a fisheye lens for this camera, but can't find any plus the camera has no threads, just wondering if anyone on here knows of anything I can do? :) ta

My fishing spot :)

post-17901-0-54839200-1338753288_thumb.j

Beach :)

post-17901-0-68973400-1338753520_thumb.j

Waterfall

post-17901-0-83304300-1338755420_thumb.j

The local swan

post-17901-0-50161500-1338755567_thumb.j

Another one, but under the wings, pretty cool xD

post-17901-0-94185700-1338755795_thumb.j

One taken in February :)

post-17901-0-93387500-1338755968_thumb.j

Ahaha!! a month before the misses dropped :L

post-17901-0-86851900-1338756401_thumb.j

My G9 finally packed up the other day for no apparent reason. But it served me well and I've been eyeing up DSLRs for a while now...

Any chance of some buying advice? My budget is ~500 so I've been looking at the The 550D, 600D and 5100D. What are the other contenders at this price? Is second hand a good idea? I don't really have any special requirements... But good autofocus video and a decent-ish burst rate is important. I've got no DLSR gear or glass to my name and maybe just a smidgeon of Canon loyalty.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but cheaper dSLR's don't really do good video - from what I gather my D3100 and D300S are incapable of autofocus?

The D300S is hardly a cheap one either.

It's just my opinion, but I wouldn't buy a sub £500 dSLR for decent video.

550/600d is the same camera with a different screen (one flip out).

I love my 550d. It's a great little camera. And has awesome options for video (magic lantern & lens choice)

Not too sure how the 5100 Nikon goes down but it's likely to be better for stills and worse for video.

But good autofocus video and a decent-ish burst rate is important. I've got no DLSR gear or glass to my name and maybe just a smidgeon of Canon loyalty.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but cheaper dSLR's don't really do good video - from what I gather my D3100 and D300S are incapable of autofocus?

The D300S is hardly a cheap one either.

It's just my opinion, but I wouldn't buy a sub £500 dSLR for decent video.

The D7000 will autofocus whilst filming, and if you've tried it then you'll realise why it's completely rubbish and unnecessary. You should focus manually, and if you try this and learn to do it properly then you'll realise why it's the best way.

If you're a Canon fan already and want to shoot video, buy a Canon. Certainly at the lower end of the range they beat the Nikons. My D300s is ok for filming, but not brilliant if handheld.

Has anyone on here got or tried a fuji X100? Read loads of reviews and seen plenty of photos. Seems like a great everyday camera and fuji refurbs are good prices

http://www.lawsonphotography.co.uk/Blog/2011/05/fuji-x100/

The Lawsons are some photographers that I know who have an x100 and they love it. They are very very good photographers and give honest reviews. The actually use it at weddings sometimes along side the big cameras. They are a bit sappy though, be warned :)

No one fancy a 70-200 Canon L f4 lens? You're all mostly nikon users though :(

I'm a canon user. :)

Haven't used my camera in a few months, I always shoot on manual unless I'm tired and haven't got time to adjust the settings.

IMG_6993.jpg

IMG_6994.jpg

IMG_7001.jpg

• Like 1

New portfolio: http://www.maxjquinn.com

That's looking good. Need to get mine done - only been 2 years now since I started it.

As for the X100 - yeah, would really like one too, or even the X10. My Lumix is going strong (see below), but at such times as I can justify it (not today, just bought a Nikon F5!) I'll buy one.

This is Bangkok btw...

bkk.jpg

It's immaculate and about 7 months old. Looking for about £450 posted. I'll get some photographs of the lens tomorrow. It's got a lens hood, bag, box etc. The images below were taken with it. It's a fantastic lens, It's upgrade time too 2.8 which is the only reason it's for sale.

100% crop

7177865649_c434c7588c_b.jpg

The full photo.

7177865415_7dcc9a635a_b.jpg