The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

Finally went riding in the Alps.

Left the SLR at home, but took the Coolpix. Love that camera. Even crashed hard and rolled over my Camelbak with it in, not the slightest hint of it taking a knock.

Click image to embiggen.

14107752_10154458511144886_1388685294818

Edited by Mike Deere
  • Like 6

I' having a hard time deciding where to go camera wise for vlogging.

I've just been using my gopro so far and it's been pretty good, I like I can point it at my face and I know it'll get me in shot, I also have lots of spares, they do good time lapse and don't take up much space. 

The down sides are that it doesn't have great low light quality, it's a fixed fish eye lens so I can't zoom or do any artistic stuff, the batterys don't last long and the small size lacks any image stabilisation.

I bought myself a Canon G7X after seeing how popular they are with vloggers but after a couple of days use I'm not that impressed. The focus is fairly slow and makes audible clicking noises. It only shoots in 30 or 60fps which clash with lighting and make them flicker. The zoom is really slow and not actually that useful, having replaceable lenses would be handy, it also doesn't really do time lapse which is really shit oh and the battery life is probably worse than the gopro AND there's no mic input.

I'm unsure what to do, I got the Canon second hand so I think I could sell it for pretty much what I got it for. I do like the ease of my gopro but I want more freedom with framing.

I see Ribcage do a conversion that allows any lens to be used on a gopro, this could be what I'm after but at nearly £300 for just the kit (which you then have to fit by taking apart the Gopro) is a bit much, especially without the lens prices added. The other problem is that motorised lenses won't work so any focusing would have to be manual, not so bad if I got a fixed (slighty less extreme) fisheye for any selfie style shots and then swapped to a zoom type for other uses, still not great in low light though.

I also like the look of the Sony A5100, a compact camera with interchangeable lenses like a dlsr, slightly expensive and no image stabilisation (fixable with the correct lens) and no mic input, but it can do time lapse (with a downloaded app to the camera), shoots in 24,25 and 29fps, can get lenses to suite my needs, has a decent battery life, great low light performance and super quick focusing.

Any opinions? I'm still very novice when it comes to jargon or what lenses work so help is always handy. I'm going to sell a bike so I may have a bit of money to use but still less than £1000 

49 minutes ago, Ali C said:

I' having a hard time deciding where to go camera wise for vlogging.

I would go for a Canon 600d or equivalent, a lens around 11-20mm (wide angle not fisheye), maybe a 50mm for fancy stuff or a 28-200mm, an external mic with a wind cock and a GorillaPod

If you're willing to pour more money into this I would recommend the new canon 80d, I used it for one weekend and I fell in love. 1080p 60fps and a good lens really is next level.

Edited by ItsMatt

I had considered a dlsr but the size is a bit off putting and I've heard the auto focus can be a bit hit or miss. I must admit that the ability to have an external mic and that level of quality would be pretty good.

What's the deal with micro usb to mic adaptors? Would they work?

Not quite photography, but I'm sure you guys know a lot more than me... I just took delivery of a DJI Phantom 3 Standard for some swanky shots in the mountains next month. Anyone done any drone work that can offer some "I wish I'd known x" style advice about getting a shot right? I'm an enthusiastic amateur at best, so any pro-tips will be welcome!