The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

• 3 weeks later...

off to Iceland on tuesday, got 5 days touring around the southen half of the country.

Any tips from anyone whos shot the northern lights before would be good.

Also if anyone has been and has anything to recomend seeing please let me know.

One from the summer that i dont think ive posted before. Looks so noisy but im not sure why.

_MG_9615-2.jpg

Iceland is great, I was only out there for 3 days and got lucky with the Northern Lights. Tripod and then standard night shot exposure, although I'd normally use a low ISO in this case I went higher as the wind wasn't working for me so be prepared to switch settings as required. And wrap up warm, we went in April so the summer had just started but it was freezing still during the night. Also, don't do what I did and think you're taking a 50mm and a wide angle, then forget the wide angle. I had to stitch images together for the Northern Lights photo.

30965864435_2197cd6bbc_b.jpg

30877546821_a4c6e3a23b_b.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 21.53.22.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm looking to sell my semi broken (burnt out the video side of things at radfest last year) canon 7d mk1, my tokina 11-16mm 2.8 lens and a 50mm 1.8 before the value decreases too much.

just wondering what's the best out there in terms of video these days for ≤£500 in used condition. 

• 2 weeks later...

That would be exactly what I use! D3200 with a handful of lenses. It does me OK, but I don't spend a lot of time doing it unfortunately. I'd be tempted to suggest a 35mm rather than a 50 due to it not being a full frame. It works out near enough 50mm ☺️ 

Need some camera advice dudes. 

550D's been an absolute workhorse for the past however long but i'm now frequently meeting the limits of what it can do, so it's time for an upgrade. Use it for absolutely everything, but mostly documentary/ street/ sports. 550's done 6 years service so i'd be wanting to get the best part of 10 out of whatever comes next.

Torn between:

7d Mk2: can still use all the lenses i've got (especially the Tokina fisheye for making riding/ skate videos and stuff), seems a good bit of kit but getting one second hand doesn't seem to be all that possible yet.

5d Mk2/ 6d: full frame would be super nice but then a few lenses become obsolete. Seem pretty reasonably priced second hand but i'm aware the 5d2 bodies are getting on a bit now.

5d Mk3: Save up for a few months and go all out, still face having to buy new lenses to go with it, but then never want to replace it ever... 

Thoughts?