The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

I fancy trying some more primes, got the standard 50 1.8 but fancy something a bit wider may 35 and also something longer, I just find 50mm on a cropped body an awkward focal length so it hardly gets any use. 

If anyone has any experience with longer and wider primes than 50mm I'd love to hear your thoughts? 

Joe

What age primes are you looking at?

Most of mine are from the late 60s to 80s and are pretty decent. All have their own character though, and that doesn't necessarily mean that they are extremely sharp, but most will out-resolve a regular sensor (unless you have 30mp on a crop!)

There's lots of lenses out there with 10+ aperture blades to retain smooth bokeh when stopped down (and to mesmerize you when looking at them)

Corner sharpness wouldn't be an issue on a crop sensor either.

You won't find, say a 35/1.4 though as they didn't exist back then, but decent 35/2s can be found.

Don't know what you're looking for though, I really don't know much about contemporary lenses, Samyang seems okay but their quality control can be a bit wonky afaik.

I enjoyed 35, 85 and 150 a lot on crop. Weirdly enough I use 28, 50, 85, 120 the most on FF.

EDIT: damnit. Can I deactivate the shift + enter auto post? I keep messing up with that. :(

Nothing happened for ages and now I've got a billion posts in here. \o/

Edited by Topsy

• 3 weeks later...

I've been asked to photograph my brothers wedding, I accepted but I'm not feeling massively comfortable about doing it as my last one was 6 years ago and I haven't really picked up a camera enthusiastically since. I sold all my nice Nikon stuff not long after the last wedding and ended up with a Nikon D3100 for not much money a few years ago which I play with on the odd occasion... you can see why I'm not looking forward to it! Anyway there is a good chance I'll be wanting a flash as the place is pretty dark and ideally a TTL one at that as hopefully it'll cover up my lack of practice. I had an SB600 and that was great but it seems i'm looking at £65+ for a secondhand one and they are getting on a bit now as well as being pretty likely to fail once they are well used, ideally i'd spend less as it just won't get used enough after the wedding (I do intend on using it every so often though so I can justify buying one rather than borrowing). I've seen a breed of cheaper Chinese alternatives, has anybody had experience with them? There seems to be many versions which all look the part but i'm unsure whether they will be good enough quality for my needs? Ideally I'd be spending below £50 but I'll spend more if it's really necessary.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Many of you guys are pretty good with photo editing, could I have some feedback on these? Never done anything outside product photography before, have I gone a bit overboard? These are publicity shots, not sure yet whether they'll ever be printed but they will be put up on various websites. There's a before an after as reference.

1_1.jpg

1_2.jpg

2_1.jpg

2_2.jpg

3_1.jpg

3_2.jpg

4_1.jpg

4_2.jpg

5_1.jpg

5_2.jpg

I'm not sure if it's my Mac screen being out but the edited photos mostly seem to make your car seem to have a pinkyness to them, much akin to an old and unloved red Vauxhall. Boost the contrast on the original photos a touch to darken the blacks as they look quite grey, and maybe a little increase in saturation to make the red pop more.