The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

• 2 weeks later...

So I've possibly managed to land myself a small photography job at a record shop. They're after "6 main photos of merchandise". They've asked me for a quote. What's standard for something like this? I'll probably charge less because I'm not experienced but I need a standard rate to reduce from.

Thanks in advance.

10 days dude, thinking of moving soon either there, or California when i can get some work out there.

That would be awesome, I had to decide between moving abroad or back to Cornwall. I've chosen Cornwall though!

Best of luck though mate, would be great to have a catch up soon though.

I'm not gonna lie - in photographic terms - it's not a good photo. Its cluttered, theres no real focal point, and the crop seems a bit odd... BUT! I Like it... The path leads the eye in nicely, albeit to nothing inparticular - but as you say - the setting is lovely! It's nice.

Try taking a few steps back, but higher, not so close to the ground - the effect of taking a few steps back will keep you at the same angle to the scene... Open up your lens a bit to say, f22 to get more in focus, and try and line up the wooden posts so they hide eachother, so it looks less cluttered and post up!

• Like 1

So I've possibly managed to land myself a small photography job at a record shop. They're after "6 main photos of merchandise". They've asked me for a quote. What's standard for something like this? I'll probably charge less because I'm not experienced but I need a standard rate to reduce from.

Thanks in advance.

Link below, he shoots awesome wedding stuff and band stuff too. He has prices on there for signed and un-signed bands. Might give you an idea. £100 for an hour but if your not experienced it could take longer. I'd probably get around 20/25 shots in an hour once you get rid on blinks and duff stuff. It all depends what they want. :)

http://stevegerrardphotography.com/

Edited by DrEvil270183

If you can stretch to it, buy Cactus v5 triggers. They're transceivers so you could by two pairs and then run three flashes off the camera. The eBay ones are ok, but the Cactus are far more reliable. Nothing worse than setting up flashes and then them not firing...

I think I bought two pairs posted for $80 (USD). The only downside is the push-in-and-click battery trays are so easy to undo by mistake, and I've lost two of them now...

I use the old cactus type which I believe are the same as the cheap eBay ones, I have lightly modified mine with aa battery packs on the receivers and also an external antenna on the transmitter and this seemed to help massively in terms of distance and stability. Try some photography forums there are usually some knocking about second hand.

If you want a hand modifying them if you do get some just give a shout.