The Motorbike Thread

Si-man

How you ride with a pillion depends mostly on the pillion. With non-riding mates its a right pig because they don't have the right ballance they over tip too much which means you have to lift the bike up round a corner, or dont lean which means you have to hang off like a monkey to get round a slight bend. The worst pillion is the one which does a bit of both! haha

Generally with a pillion I put 2 feet down, cover the front brake if your on a hill. Also make sure they dont ride with the visor up if they don't know what there doing, because one hard brake and when they nut the back of your helmet their visor will just snap off lol.

Good bikes. Even though mate has gone through 3 sv engines since ive known him ( like 2 years) They just dont like being hammered and wheelied a lot (stupid reverse oil pickup, oil drains away from the pickup on the back wheel)

Got a new rear tyre on my beast, michelin pilot road 3. f**k me the thing grips well in the rain and ive only done 30 miles on it, 22 in the dry!

proper bike related news, my old man just got rid of his gsxr 750 k7, which has to be just about the most savagely accelerating bike I've ever ridden, for a triumph 675 street triple r. not ridden it yet but he says it's not that much slower than the Suzuki, am having a go at the weekend. on the wet weather thing, I always liked racing in the rain, proper tz250 gp bike on metzler wets. could ride it nearly as hard in the wet as I could in the dry on inters. the wets were that good. 86bhp and 103kgs. it's a 93 tz for those in the know

Good bikes. Even though mate has gone through 3 sv engines since ive known him ( like 2 years) They just dont like being hammered and wheelied a lot (stupid reverse oil pickup, oil drains away from the pickup on the back wheel)

Got a new rear tyre on my beast, michelin pilot road 3. f**k me the thing grips well in the rain and ive only done 30 miles on it, 22 in the dry!

I'm thinking about the Pilot Road 3s. Are you planning on getting a front one as well? Need a tyre I can trust in the rain.

Cracked frame is cracked :(.

cracklargev.jpg

Kawasaki won't do anything on warranty (as expected) and I'm waiting to hear back from Bournemouth Kwak to give me a quote on getting it TIG welded... expecting something around the £200 mark. I've got a friend who could do it but that would involve either getting the bike to him, taking the necessary bits off before reassembling or getting him to me with his kit... Hopefully will get something sorted soon, not that the weather's much good for riding!

I'm in the process of sorting out doing direct access. CBT won't be a problem (I've ridden bikes on [in Asia] and off road for 20 years). The multiple choice test I'm not worried about because I've been driving for 10 years and will go over the Highway Code, etc. Only thing I don't know about is the hazard awareness test. I passed my driving test before that came in. Is there any way of preparing for it, or is it one of those things that only idiots fail?

After having so much fun on trail bikes in Asia I'm looking to buy something like a BMW GS 1200 for some long distance stuff. No big rush as I'm only in the UK for a few months and won't buy a bike until I'm back next year at the earliest, but thought I'd get my license while I'm here.

looks like a sweet bike, so how could a frame crack? i just assumed it was from too many wheelies and jumps lol

This is pretty much how it looks at the moment (well, at the moment it's in about 50 bits in the garage but you get my meaning!):

dsc06146large.jpg

The cause of the crack is a bit of an unknown. The first ER6n's (of which this is one) did have an issue with frames cracking at the engine mounts due to bad tolerancing at the factory, putting stresses into the frame when the engine was clamped up, but I added spacers to try and reduce/remove that issue. I have however thrown the bike down the road once, leading to a near writeoff so although the bike was professionally repaired and checked, it's not beyond comprehension that the frame may have been knocked or twisted just enough to result in a crack growing over the following years.

Weirdly enough, the bike hasn't been wheelied or jumped hardly at all, thrashed in general sure but usually with both wheels on the deck!

• Like 1

Is there any way of preparing for it, or is it one of those things that only idiots fail?

Pretty much the latter. The trick is not to click too early I think. When I did it for my bike test I'd pick up on a woman pushing a pram down the pavement so clicked to show that I'd noticed it and was aware of the potential danger but there's a time window when it actually accepts the click which is when she turns to look for traffic as she thinks about crossing (or something like that). In theory only idiots fail but it probably is possible to fail for being too aware and conscientious for the dumb computer system to cope with!

For hazard perception you have to be careful not to rhythmic click or you banned from that question. For example I would always be like *see's hazard* "Clicks" *hazards still there* "click" *the hazard still is there* "Click" *The hazards not over* "click. if you get what I mean but ive never failed hazard perception without revision in the 4 times i did the test. I did however fail the theory 2ce for bikes, I thought "Passed my car test last year, been on bikes for 3 years how hard can it be?" and ended up wasting my money getting caught out on shitty questions about trams and shit that I don't really care about.

Oh yea and my Dad phoned me up all embarrassed yesterday as hes just brought a FX650 Honda..... what was he thinking? Apparently it "grew on him", I think something must be growing in his brain. I think he thinks my Mum wont bike his head off too much if he insures me on it, but she will...... he will go on about single cylinder, low speed and good brakes and my Mum will say, "NO" lol comedy,

Oh yea and my Dad phoned me up all embarrassed yesterday as hes just brought a FX650 Honda..... what was he thinking? Apparently it "grew on him", I think something must be growing in his brain. I think he thinks my Mum wont bike his head off too much if he insures me on it, but she will...... he will go on about single cylinder, low speed and good brakes and my Mum will say, "NO" lol comedy,

He could have at least got a reasonably good looking underpowered Honda 650 and got an FMX...

Yea hes lost his mind, I've told him already. TBF hes just sold his Velocette Viper and the Norton / BSA will be leaving us soon and his old schhol CB750 is a huge heavy thing. He wanted the twin pipes and round headlight, it might not be the best bike but hes getting old and likes the upright seat position. If it makes him happy then fair enough, the bikes as good as new 4,000 miles and not a single chip anywhere.

Anyone know much about the kawasaki KLE 500? A nice one has came up with low miles and good price. Any good for the road use and torque for overtakes etc? not clued up with figures but it says

32ftlb torque weighing 195kg

one suspects it will be tall, heavy, and handles like a pile of shite. you would be better off with an aprilia rs125

Yeah the mcn review looks pretty crap, But dad used to have one and reviews from people that have actually owned one don't seem to bad :) Want something reliable, Low maintenance, Simple but also fun to play around with on the weekends, Suspect it will keep me entertained from changing from the 125? Its a 2006 model btw :)

Edited by trials owns