The Motorbike Thread

Si-man

Been helping my dad rebuild his '69 BMW R60/2. I've just been doing some of the heavy manual labour, everything on it is his work. When he bought it it was rusty and dented, he's refurbished and redone every single part of this bike. Wheel rebuilds, had one of the cylinders re-machined to original spec due to extensive damage, hes constantly ordering OEM parts over from Germany, it really is a work of art and I can't wait to see it running again. It's also one of the first shaft drive I believe? 

IMG_7245.JPG

IMG_7246.JPG

Edited by Herbertlemon102
  • Like 3

Bike passed the MOT. Happy days! going to get the new seat modified to fit nicely and go as far as I can with getting things ready before breaking out the angle grinder.The main issues are where the numberplate and lights etc. are going to sit and what to fill in the hole under the frame with once the stock plastic parts are removed.

On 22/09/2017 at 6:02 PM, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Bike passed the MOT. Happy days! going to get the new seat modified to fit nicely and go as far as I can with getting things ready before breaking out the angle grinder.The main issues are where the numberplate and lights etc. are going to sit and what to fill in the hole under the frame with once the stock plastic parts are removed.

Make a bracket to hold the plate/lights behind the rear axle (legal position) for further MOTs and one that mounts it below the tail of the chopped seat unit for normal use.  If you get tugged for it then perhaps look at something different; I think as long as the plate is fully readable, and no lights are obscured you should get away with it.

Fill in the hole with a sheet of aluminium zip tied on :D

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Thought I'd put since life into this thread :)

Received a box of parts last Wednesday which contained more boxes and parts:

1oadLiR.jpg

1hCJTwk.jpg

Currently sorting the parts and seeing what's damaged/missing.

Should hopefully sometime turn into a 1937 Rudge Special. :)

Edited by Topsy
fixed image
  • Like 2

Off to a good start! :rolleyes:

What I didn't see on the photos was that I'll need a new cylinder:

Rk09Cvpl.jpg

"needs a hone and the sleeve" - seller
Not sure a sleeve will be enough to fix that!

And someone nicked the striking forks out of the gearbox and the layshaft is fairly chewed.

VnvWBqCl.jpg

I started assembling the forks today with my mate and, nearly to my surprise, most of the parts are here, except of course the bearing balls. And that the steering column is bent and is missing the thread is some spots. :lol:

Edited by Topsy

Cylinder is easily repairable, a bit of plate welded in, machined back and honed should be good; there's no stress on the skirt, you might even find that the piston doesn't even sweep over the broken section hence why it's been left as is.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tony Harrison said:

You could try fixing it first but then you don't want to mash a piston and conrod in the process. However definitely see what others have to say about it. If you did weld in and machine back as above, and sleeve it, that could indeed be fine.

No, I definitely don't want to do more damage. I'll need to check piston travel and everything first but for that it'd help if I'd get hold of a piston in the first place as that's one of the parts that's absent.
I suppose it really depends on how easily I can find a replacement cylinder and how much it'll cost.

I will of course also get more opinions but I have the feeling it might not necessarily be very conclusive!

After the oil scavenge pump on the supermoto failed and lunched my bore/piston/rod I was looking at having to replace the cylinder (500+ quid - overbored nikasil plated aluminium cylinder); the bore had been gouged out at least a mm in places, plating was shot and there was some broken material at the head interface.  I was recommended a local place that does a lot of 2smoke refurbishment and tuning.

Spoke to them about putting an iron liner in and he didn't want to touch it as there wasn't enough meat in the aluminium to support it long term.  As it was they took the old cylinder, ground out the remaining nikasil, welded up all the damaged aluminium, machined, replated and honed.  Cost 193 quid all in!

As that looks like an iron cylinder I wouldn't expect it would be too onerous to get a sleeve put in there if the the patch/remachine repair isn't viable.  You really need to speak to a good engine shop.

It was PJme that did my work, it did take a while to get done due to work load (about 6 weeks I think) but it was worth the wait. http://www.pjme.co.uk/

• 2 weeks later...

D'oh. After 51,000 miles my ER6n has just eaten itself joining the M27. Reasonably hard acceleration away from J5 roundabout and it made some nasty noises with a complete loss of power. Immediately pulled the clutch and got it to the hard shoulder but it's terminal from the sounds of it :(

Not sure how much damage it's likely to have done (now seems to be seized) or how one deseizes and engine in order to get into it to find out! 

4 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

D'oh. After 51,000 miles my ER6n has just eaten itself joining the M27. Reasonably hard acceleration away from J5 roundabout and it made some nasty noises with a complete loss of power. Immediately pulled the clutch and got it to the hard shoulder but it's terminal from the sounds of it :(

Not sure how much damage it's likely to have done (now seems to be seized) or how one deseizes and engine in order to get into it to find out! 

What's the oil system? When the ccm seized it was just the little end nipped up because the scavenge pump had cavitated and pumped the entire oil tank into the sump (rotax motor is dry sump). Fortunately because the rest of the engine was full of oil it survived unscathed. The little end nipped because it's sprayed by a jet from the underside, the jet is an integral part of the oil pump and lost pressure first.

Pull the motor and head, it might come free but chances are the cost to rebuild will be more than a scrap donor bike/engine. 51k is a healthy innings though!

Cheers for that. I've just bought a second hand engine with 13k on it for £300 delivered on eBay. It's a bit tatty from salt corrosion so I'll either swap over my tidier bits/covers or just sort it out and paint it. Should still be able to sell some of the parts of the mullered engine to make some funds back. Ah well! 

Nope, afraid not. 

In exploded ER6 news I struggled to get the plug out of cylinder 1...

plug.thumb.jpg.a97440757067f775c434cd1122831d8c.jpg

Pretty sure it shouldn't look like that...

And then when I pulled the exhaust header off this little collection fell out of the can end!

bits.thumb.jpg.696b8f9c8283b0add3180d6d3bdd2ad7.jpg

Assuming it's dropped a valve into the cylinder causing CABOOM!

Question now is whether it's worth investigating any further or just write it off and stick the replacement lump in. Any experience out there of what I'm likely to be looking at? Thinking minimum of  head, cylinders, at least one piston and conrod... Could one piston being grenaded and seizing cause the bottom end and crank etc. to get f**ked?

Chuck it, with that much potential debris swilling round the sump it could have got anywhere, doesn't take much to block a pressurised oil line. If you want to take the time to completely strip, clean and inspect then I dare say some bits might be reusable, but it's a 50k motor, it's at end of life anyways.

After the ccm lunched itself, I stripped the oil pump to try to find the source of the starvation, the sides of the scavenge pump rotor (dry sump, oil in frame with a double trochoidal oil pump; one rotor pumps round the motor, the other scavenges the sump back to the frame) were scored from previous debris that had been passed through.  There were cavitation witness marks on the rotor lobes and it had obviously been a long standing issue, just didn't rear its ugly head till what acceleleration at 110mph.  A testament to the robustness of the rotax motor that I rode it the 7 miles home after nipping the little end and destroying any form of ring seal or bore :D

Yeah, that's the conclusion I'm coming to. The oil seemed fairly good (no obvious bits in it) but as you say it has no value even if I fixed it so I think I'll strip the current engine of reusable bits (by me) then sell the covers etc. on eBay before weighing in the rest of the lump. Think I'll open it up anyway to see what it's like in there (and recover the piston to add to my small collection) just for the sake of it.