Getcreative Video Competition *21/06/12 Update*

1a2bcio8

What is the crack with editing of the videos...because Euan hasnt edited his vid...Id imagine Doney didnt...Shrewsbury will get Jonny Jones to do his..

Im just confused??

Can i go and hire a some famdem with bare skillz to film and edit a video for me??

To be fair, Euan had a heavy hand in the editing of his video. When I was at the computer, he was sat right next to me pointing things out, questioning things and giving ideas. Same goes for the shooting. I actually approached Euan and suggested it as well, he did not come to me asking. I guess it all comes down to who you're mates with, and whether or not they are willing to give you a hand!

James

Jim - kinda missing the point, as you did the skillful bit, whether or not euan said "aye that looks gid" (in his obviously scottish accent) haha.

My personal opinion is that it is fine for someone to do the filming / editing for you, its you that is riding. Also having someone else edit for you might be a bit of a benefit but not always. Doney's video for example, i felt it was a little over-edited even though the riding was pretty decent.

It is each to their own, but Joe - you have 'bare skillz' of your own, so i dont think you editing your own video will be a hinderance.

Sorry for the slow response and lack of competition update for that matter. I'm in a bit of a predicament with studying at the moment.

Basically it's good if you can get people to help you film or edit. Filming in particular because, undoubtedly, you can create a better result from a variety of filming approaches rather only static shots through an unmanned tripod, so to speak. That being said, the judges will be instructed to try and take into consideration people's circumstances. If you don't have the option of having somebody film you, etc. then the judges should try and recognise that and adjust their evaluation of the overall video.

I'll try and get an update done today because there's a couple of videos to get on the blog.

• Like 3

That being said, the judges will be instructed to try and take into consideration people's circumstances. If you don't have the option of having somebody film you, etc. then the judges should try and recognise that and adjust their evaluation of the overall video.

Phew! *wipes brow*

It definitely is a tricky one to call though 'cause obviously the competition has a heavy emphasis on the quality of the overall video editing and . So, if you film yourself and it ends up looking dull, stale and lifeless then you can't really expect to win.

I guess in someways the soloers have a little advantage in that they really have to step up their game to try and create something exciting enjoyable without the luxury of tracking shots, so they are probably more likely to explore the creativity element.

I've only actually seen one video that I consider to be truly creative, the rest have sorta been riding videos really... Albeit decent ones... Mostly.

• Like 1

Phew! *wipes brow*

It definitely is a tricky one to call though 'cause obviously the competition has a heavy emphasis on the quality of the overall video editing and . So, if you film yourself and it ends up looking dull, stale and lifeless then you can't really expect to win.

I guess in someways the soloers have a little advantage in that they really have to step up their game to try and create something exciting enjoyable without the luxury of tracking shots, so they are probably more likely to explore the creativity element.

I've only actually seen one video that I consider to be truly creative, the rest have sorta been riding videos really... Albeit decent ones... Mostly.

The thing is that even if you are filming by yourself you can do a worse and a better job. Not aligning the camera with a horizontal plane, filming into the sun, etc. have no excuses really. You can consider your background and produce interesting or attractive shots. Ben Travis' last video was clearly self filmed yet he produced some really nice shots. Ultimately it's about recognising what people do with what they have in a thoughtful way in opposition to the potential of being lazy about this or that aspect of their riding and videography.

I was going to mention something about this so it's good to see somebody else has thought about it (Y)

Just a quick note that due to personal 'shit' I have to give the competition over to somebody else to look after through September. I'm sorry again about the slackness in responding to emails and posting up stuff but I've had other stuff that I've need prioritizing.

So a few of us are helping Ben out with updates of the blog and the facebook site where we can, whilst he is undergoing his exams at uni.

Good luck to Ben, but for now, I have stuck up a wee post regarding Ross McArthurs video entry...

www.glasseyetrialscreative.blogspot.co.uk

Edited by ben_travis
  • Like 1