Cad Thread

SunnyBoy

One thing to be aware of is that with the student version I don't think you can legally get parts made (from designs you've made on the software) because of some licencing thing. That's the case with the education version of Pro Eng Wildfire anyway.

One thing to be aware of is that with the student version I don't think you can legally get parts made (from designs you've made on the software) because of some licencing thing. That's the case with the education version of Pro Eng Wildfire anyway.

Yeah, I think there may be something like this, I know for some stress analysis software the university needed the fully licensed version before any results could be published.

Forks done!!

frame4th.jpg

frame4th1.jpg

Edited by SunnyBoy

Loving your work, pretty jealous of your ability I have to say. I have been trying for days to design the dropouts on my revised steel 24 frame, but the software just wont let me draw anything in that area. It's getting ridiculous. I'm thinking about either starting again or re-doing the chainstays (again) to see if that helps, pretty fed up with it at the moment!

I think by doing that I'd have to basically redo the whole sweep for the chainstay, but by the looks of things that's what I'm going to have to do anyway. Cheers for the suggestion. I plan to learn how to do variable geometry sweeps, or whatever they're called. Hopefully this will allow me to create a simpler shape towards the end of chainstays. I desperately hope that fixes it.

I'm not sure if it does it in the same way for Wildfire, but on Solidworks you create 2 different profiles along a guideline then create a volume or surface loft between the two profiles, using the guideline to shape it properly. Hope you get it sorted.

EDIT: Hub update! - roughly based on Echo TR

frame4thhub1.jpg

Edited by SunnyBoy

Got a bit more done today....Front rim and disc rotor. I'm bracing myself for lacing the spokes if I ever figure out how I'm going to do it.

Rear hub and chainline should keep me occupied for the next day or two :P

frame5th1.jpg

How are your chainstays going Pete?

Edited by SunnyBoy

Amazing progress. For the holes in the rims did you make loads of axes and then mirror the extrusion cut like 16 times?

I've figured out how to do swept blends so my chainstays are looking fairly realistic now, although I noticed most steel frames have circular tubing, whereas I've gone for a slightly flat sided shape so I'm wondering if that would even be possible when using steel. I haven't finished them though, so haven't tried making dropouts. I think to fix the problem I had before I simply needed to make a new datum. I'll post a pic or two when/if I get this frame looking good.

For the holes I created a single cut into the rim from a central plane then used a circular pattern around the rim wall, so it's a pretty easy way of doing it.

Yeah, it's normally only aluminium frames that have the weird and wonderful profiles - don't think I've seen steel frames with anything but round tubing, but I might be wrong. Yeah, I find the best way to do weird paths and shapes is to create a lot of reference points to create planes and various datums to work from. Also makes matching parts together a lot easier further down the line. Looking forward to seeing this frame - it's a pity there aren't more designers on the forum to get the old creative juices flowing! :P

After all that time and effort my 24 frame hardly looks any different. Dropouts have come out a bit odd again, and I'm not sure if this design could even be made with steel. I can't be bothered changing everything again though. No brake mounts because lazy.

I can only save a picture with shiny paint if it's a screenshot, so I've just taken one of the rear triangle to show the realistic colour.

Sunny, are your forks based on a particular model? Just curious. Very nice TR hub there too!

post-29859-0-96767200-1343152912_thumb.j

post-29859-0-59512600-1343152962_thumb.j

post-29859-0-64215000-1343152983_thumb.j

Edited by Pete.M

Chainstays and dropouts look good! They're fitted together pretty nicely as well which is a pain in the arse to do. Are you going to be adding any more components to it? I think a seat would look pretty good on it and would bring out its street geometry even nicer.

The forks weren't really based on anything. I just took some measurements from my Echo SLs and went about fitting some geometry around them.

Think I'll start the last few bits tomorrow morning when I get time.

Got a bit more done this morning - rear hub, disc and sprocket. Chainline lines up nicely with the front freewheel so should hopefully be an easy process aligning the chain when I get round to it...

frame6thhub.jpg

frame6th1.jpg

Edited by SunnyBoy
  • Like 1

Just rendering it all now - back wheel done!! I'll post pics when it's done.

EDIT: Renders finally finished...not even max quality and took 30 mins. Quite happy how the wheels came out, just need to tidy up the spoke ends now and add some tyres. Was thinking maybe try-all like tyres, but I'll see what I can manage :P

frame7th.jpg

Edited by SunnyBoy

Last post for tonight.....Got some test tyres on there without any tread to test fit and what not. Reckon I might try finish it off with tread and chain tomorrow! Don't know about brakes....I'll see what patience I've got for them at some point :P

frame7th3.jpg

Edited by SunnyBoy

Sweet! Brakes would be an absolute pain, I've no idea how you'd position the cables....

I've only drawn up some bars since my last post, and currently doing the stem. I tried a saddle but it turned out to be extremely hard to get the shape, I think I'll need to make a very complicated swept blend.

Yeah, I've got a pretty good idea how I'd get the cable to follow the frame, it's just the mounts I can't be bothered fiddling with!

I think for the saddle it'd take maybe 5-6 loft profiles and plenty of filleting / fiddling to get it right. I don't envy you trying to model it, would be a massive pain :P.

How did you get on with the bars? I'm not too happy with mine at the moment as the sweep slightly offsets the circle profile I want - might redo them last thing.

I'm fairly happy with the bars. I forgot to put in a back sweep angle initially, so I basically just offset the sweep profile more and more towards the ends of the bars, if that makes sense. However, I'm not sure whether that has actually given them any real sweep. They've come out looking pretty similar to yours I'd say.

This program is useless at rendering stuff. The bars and forks are intended to be white but when I use the "enhanced realism" tool they totally change, as you can see below.

I have given up on the saddle for now, it's causing to many problems.

I guess the bb, cranks, and pedals should come next, if I can be bothered.

post-29859-0-51174000-1343404166_thumb.j

post-29859-0-54128500-1343404178_thumb.j

post-29859-0-11663900-1343404193_thumb.j