Rear Wheel Hops

VAMPIRE V12

hi guys.

everything else in my learning trials is coming along nice now i'm confident on the front wheel i can get up just about anything with in front wheel height i'm learning my two wheel balance and i'm not jumping of the pedals anymore or slipping off them and i'm even slowly learning g turns. But one of the only things i still cant do is hop on the rear wheel and its a bit annoying and it makes me feel like crap when my mates can jump on my bike and hop on the back wheel or even get one hop when i cant even do one :( ive tried rocking the bike from the front to the back with the back brake locked on but sometimes the brake slips but sometimes as i pull back the bike gets so far and it wont pull back anymore and i just seem to freeze and i cant hop and when i try to pedal forwards to keep the front end up it just wheelies off really :( i can get it up so far and it just flips back onto me and i have to hop off the back i just cant hop and i'm thinking is trials really for me or do i just need to try something else a different way of trying. Ive even been stopping videos of danny mac when he used to ride his echo pure and watching how he hops it up but still no joy. Any help what so ever and i mean any help tips tricks or anything else i could try would be much much much appreciated as i can start to link my moves and get down from high objects easier instead of rolling off the edge.

Cheers guys

Yeah, pretty old now though still very relevant. if you have a search on youtube you might come across it as there's a section on there about backhopping which helped me back in the day. As for the rear brake slipping I highly advise you change those pads and consider grinding your rim, either way I'd take a look at some heatsink yellows and that should sort your brake slippage problem!

Might also be worth having a look at the tutorials on trashzen if you haven't already.

also could it be that my bars are too far backwards? they are pretty much like a normal set of bars would be with th bars arching back towards me when i ride flat?

Cheers guys

what year pitbull... and is it long or short?? I ride an 05 pitbull and it's just far too short.. so if you do have your bars too far backwards it'll feel even shorter :/ try rotating them forward

also this might help you [media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRLi1U61u4g

Edited by Danny00135
  • Like 1

i got the same problem what you have. there is only one way to learn it. Practice as much as you can. you need to find your balance than practice the jumping and stayying at the position. Traszen is the best way to learn that, they write down everything there. good luch with that!

I could never do much on the back wheel but i eventually learnt after watching a mate try it. Make sure you use both your arms and legs because i didn't at first and couldn't get anywhere.

Also can you roll up things? If so this will help you to learn and i will explain how next..

Try to rock yourself forwards and then back onto the back wheel and lean so far back you are going to fall off and then when you roll up something and you lift your rear wheel up the object, apply that motion and you will hop backwards. Keep trying that and get used to it and try to hop a smaller distance back all the time until you are no longer moving back.

An example, but don't land on 2 wheels, land on one:

http://www.trashzen.com/animations/anbkhop1.php

This might not help but i had the same problem as you and i was told this and i could do it after i tried it.

I would definitely recommend new pads and a grind though, that will solve the slipping brake issue. If you are not comfortable grinding your rim yourself, ask someone you ride with as I'm sure they can do it or know someone who can.

Edited by BurlyBox

My 2 cents!.....

I think the easiest way to learn is to....

Ride along at a slowish pace and do an endo , then as you bring your weight back to bring the back wheel down, keep that momentum going to lift the front wheel up - as you do this you should try and jump straight into your first hop - then once you are up just practice to keep the hopping going!

Its best if you keep the momentum of rocking back and forwards to do your first hop, instead of immediately trying to balance on the rear wheel and then hop - go straight into the hop!

you will probably only be able to do 2 or 3 hops for ages (like me) but you will get it in the end!! Just watch videos on youtube and really think about what you are doing and you will get it! Dont give up!!

(hopefully that at least kind of makes sense!!)

This is a vid of me practising I posted up a couple of months ago when i first started trials - you should be able to see the (newbie) technique i am using which should help you to get started

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/topic/173517-another-newbie/page__p__2404671#entry2404671

Jon

Edited by Jonalong

rock forward then rock back so you are up on the back wheel, you will get to a point where you feel the front wheel is not going to fall back to the ground, when you reach this point push down on the bike (make sure your tyre is not rock solid) keeping the rear break on, and stand back up on the pedals (in a fast motion) from that crouched down position lifting the bars as you do so, this is how i learnt, not sure if it will help at all:)

Only a quick tip, have you tried putting your front wheel on something like a bench, wall etc. pretty sure I was doing this before I went on my back wheel only. Start on something say 6 bricks high, hop like that, then slowly try leaning backward with your brake locked and try one or two hops to start. This way you'll be closer to the balance point to start off with and you may get a better feel for where it is.

• Like 1