Problem With My "lead Foot"

right,

to do back hops, pedal kicks and trackstands i put my right foot forward

but i need to do a endo first to get my front wheel up

but i can get my front wheel up by pedal kicking using my left front forward but i cart do any tricks

is it worth learning everthing again with my left foot forward or just try and get my front wheel up right foot forward?

thanks

I started pedal kicking left forward, everything else right forward. Now I do everything left forward. Only difference is different sidehops, and pivot easier the direction of the lead foot (left in my case).

No problem :)

I disagree with people saying it's good to learn with both. I rode with a guy who kind of used both for two different things and I'd often see him do a half pedal back to switch footing.

I's say from what you're saying you're a right foot forward rider. To confirm it 100%, if you were going to do a really long jump (on foot not on a bike) or jump over a hurdle which foot would be last to leave the ground? If it's your left foot, then you are right foot forward rider.

If that's the case then you just need to get out of the bad habbit you've developed with left foot forward pedal kicking to get yourself up on to your back wheel and start using your right foot.

The funny thing is, I've done that test and my right foot leaves the ground first yet I'm left foot forward?

Same here! Those tests are not always the same for everything (well in my case there not anyway....) I ride trials left foot forward, Snowboard right foot forward etc etc...

Once you have rode for a while it will become clear what foot you prefer (or are best with), i agree with above once you know what foot stick with that only and practise.

Hi, when i first started riding i had always used my right foot forward to do wheelies and anything involved with lifting the front tyre. However, when track standing or doing something that required more balance i prefered my left foot forward i.e at the front when level.

So i basically had the same dilema, what do i change?

I experimented doing both types of tricks in reverse and found that changing my kicking foot to my left would be easier. At first it feels really wrong but just keep practising and it becomes more natural =) Just like writing with the opposite hand.

Hope this helps, Jack

I ride/ rode everything left foot forward apart from pedal ups where I was going right forward and half a stroke.

It did my head in, it looks messy and means you need a bit of a run into things.

I spent a few rides upping left foot forward and after 2 or 3 rides have bettered my previous biggest up, much more comfortably and much more smoothly.

Yes its good to be able to do both but it sounds as if your doing what I was- so you can't static hop-up with wrong foot forward, so your not actually doing the same thing.

For comps etc. its an advantage to be able to go either way and be comfortable with your wrong foot forward, also if you ride anything else its good for cornering, switchbacks etc. in dh or tech climbs in xc eg where your on a steep climb and cant make a full pedal stroke to clear a stone.

Practice with both but don't be led into "holding back" your good foot by using a half stroke, you lose so much pop, need twice the approach space and its much harder to land smooth.

• 2 weeks later...

and i have tried using my left foot forward on static hops but i do 2or3 and i fall off the back but i did 21 the other day with right foot

ohh and i wont be entering comps (i want to ride for fun,not to put my foot down in a section and get pissed off with myself :) ) i just want to ride rocks and street :D

Edited by danrobinson