Scottish Round 6 26Th August

kevind

Hi Team. Entry form attached. This is hopefully a stunning venue with big and small very grippy river sculpted living rock. (Caving term for solid part of the earth type rock and not loose rock). The area is in the centre of the village and is a huge tourist venue as it is stunning. This forum will not let me upload photos but google it for some pics. (Trials central Bob Macgregor two day trial report for a start). Start will be at my van which will be parked near the Hotel next to the falls. Parking maybe at the back car park or if not there is plenty parking around the village. TBA

TWO PROBLEMS with this venue. 1 If the river is high then it maybe to dangerous. 2 If its wet some of the rocks are very slippy.

LOTS OF SOLUTIONS I have three other venues within a couple of miles to use. Sections, stay away from the rivers edge. In normal summer flow it is okay. I will keep you posted nearer the time.

Third problem I may not come back from our hols in Italy if this winter keeps going up here!!!

I will be up 25th to mark out then staying/camping away up in the hills at another trials monster area. (Quarry, Dry river bed with big steps and boulders, Dam and rocky concrete spill ways) It is only a couple of miles from the venue. Everybody is welcome.

The sections will be fun and spectacular, if the river is at summer levels then I can gap the experts out into the middle of the river and back. Bring a change of clothes!!

Please as usual get the entries in or even just post here that you are coming.

2012killinentry.doc

Hi Ben,

Sorry not got full address, but if you use the maps it is the road that goes up round the back of the Hotel at the falls and follows the East side of Loch tay. You then turn off a few miles after a bridge and follow the single track road up the hill through the forest upto the Dam. Quarry is past the second gate on the LHS, the road kinda ends around the Loch. Slip way and dry river bed are as you come upto the dam and cross over the bridge. I have only been there once and these were my directions. Will be up early Saturday to set up sections and then go play in the mountains.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just back of hols to the grey Scotland. Me and the boys wil be heading up 13/14/15th August to set up sections and stuff. Then head on to the quarry/Kinlochleven/Fort William. Anybody on hols welecome to come along. Me and the boys drove up to Sonico to have a look at the BIU world champsections on Friday before we flew home. WE have a good way to go to get to that level.Two 2.5 km laps of twelve sections in six and a half hours in 30deg+ heat, big long sections in two minutes for the juniors 16year old. The younger ones two laps of eight sections all very hard for there ages. Hope the British guys did well as we didnt catch up. Everybody we met was very welcoming.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Team,

We went, we rode, we were rained on so came home. Not happy face but its shinning here.

When its wet its unrideable. The quarry is also unrideable as the rocks are very slippy.I will keep an eye on the weather and post next week to let you know whats happening. I do have another two local venues to look at. Fingers crossed for a dry day as it will be something a we bit different

I have seven sections with some crossing the river for inter and expert as the river level was okay yesterday. Do bring a change of clothes!!!

I have permission to use the carpark at the Falls of Dochart Inn next to the falls. FK218SL you cant miss it. Please have a tea or pint after as a thank you. Please park at the rear of the car park. Please watch when you cross the road as it does get busy. There will be loads of tourist as the buses drop them of to have a walk a round the falls as well as every body else,please be careful when riding out with the sections. See you all on the 26th.

Local press coming as well todo a we report and pics hopefully.

Edited by kevind
  • Like 1

It would be good to see you at a comp this year. Get the other team up your way, up for it as well? Just been talking with Duncan at Dannys display at the fringe today, so Duncan is riding. I believe Ross is coming. Rab and Felix, so good Expert class and Aaron is doing his first Expert as well.

Edited by kevind

Hi Team,

Five day forecast takes me to Sunday now and it isnt looking great. When its wet you just cant ride the rocks as its covered in slime. The long range forecast doesnt look good either. I have one other option a few miles outside Killin but I havnt been there and wont have time till Saturday. I will make a final call tonight as I am getting some info about the other site today. Sorry guys, I new I should have stayed in Italy.

I could venue change Killin with Bob Macgregors on the 30th September for this weekend as everybody seems to be up for a comp?? Just a thought and I would need to check that its free.

If i am honest kev, the weather isnt looking too promising in glasgow / neilston either. Might be worth while postponing until we have an opening in the weather?

It wouldnt be a great experience for kids / younger generation if they are just riding around cycling through piles of mud.

just my 2 pence. everyone entitled to their own opinion though. let us know your thoughts this evening and we can go from there.

• Like 1

Hi Ben,

Forecast has changed to no rain on Sunday. The dictators decision is we go for it. I will be up Saturday and go look at the other venue as its still rain on Saturday but not as heavy as yesterdays forecast. I will mark out the sections at the falls but will look at alternative in the big slabby dry river bed at the other venue which is about 15 min from Killin up Glen Lochay. 930am sign on for 1030 start two laps of seven cracking sections, park in the hotel car park. Camping at Lochan Breaclaichon the South side of Loch Tay. See you all there. Yahoo

Edited by kevind