Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

Have you bought yet? Avoid that CPU like the plague! Compared to an i5-3570k they're dog slow. Even the 8 core version of that CPU (FX-8150) is a terrible performer compared to an i5-2500k, see here: http://www.anandtech...duct/434?vs=288

Imagine the difference between the FX-4100 and the new i5-3570k!

To your 4 pin question, I believe you can just run it with the 4 pin only plugged in. It's only to add extra power to the PCI lanes, but with one graphics card it should be fine.

Bought it just today ;)

Hope it's okay, paid £80 for it though so I guess it's not so bad of a deal.

Anything will feel fast to me though, at the moment I'm running an AMD athlon at 2.4Ghz with 2GB of DDR ram @173MHz :$

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure If this should go here or the dreams thread (If it's still here) but meh

Sent my motherboard back for rma about 4-5weeks ago and currently waiting on credit/replacement from msi, had this strange dream where I got offered a asus/try all bundle, it's an asus mobo with a os preinstalled (some come with Linux for instance) but it was a try-all os, apparently very lightweight and doesn't use much resources but is more prone to breaking than windows :P

I'll upload a pic of my rig before I dismantled it for the rma in a bit

just out of interest, if i was to spend around 400 quid on a laptop, where would i be best off going? i have had a look on the dell refurb store and seem to be able to get 4gb of ram 500gb hdd sort of specs. is this about right for the amount of money i'm spending?

Not Dell IMO. PC World are doing rediculous offers on a lot of Samsungs now because the Windows 8 ones are coming in soon. (Windows 8 is a bit shit IMO).

I'd look at this: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-series-3-300e5c-15-6-laptop-black-15119696-pdt.html

It has an i5 (latest one, the Ivy Bridge 3210M), 6gb of RAM, 750gb HDD.

No worries dude. :)

In related laptop "look at me!" news, I have just bought my first ever brand new laptop: http://www.pcworld.c.....<br /><br />It was never going to stay stock for long. I've given it a 128gb SSD for the OS and programs, and moved the 1tb HDD to the optical bay using an adapter kit, and the DVD drive now lives in a USB caddy for occasional use.

Next on the list I think shall be RAM, it only has 6gb, and it should take a 16gb kit without complaining. (I easily fill 6gb and I can only go to 8gb or 16gb. I don't think 8gb will be enough).

Went for the model without a discreet graphics card to save battery life, and it returns over 5 hours use. Not bad for a 15.6" laptop!

Tis fast too... Boots in under 25 seconds and shuts down in under 5. Hoping to speed that up with some tweakings over the weekend too. :P

Edited by Muel

• 1 month later...

USB 3 external drive enclosures?

Does any one have any experience with any. There seem to be some really cheap options available but I guess these are to be avoided. I'm a after 3.5" model and its to house a 2tb drive.

Any advice, brands, models features to look for would be a great help.

Thanks

Joe

Here is my pc as of a few months ago. After a Motherboard RMA It's changed a little bit. CPU fan is now pushing air through the heaksink towards the roof, both of the 140mm fans are now pulling air from on top of the roof and I've taken a 120mm silent typhoon out of the optical bay and put it back on the side panel. The cable management is about 50x better too and you can barely notice they're there.

Just bought my first SSD which I'll put in there tomorrow, next on the list is a fan controller because my motherboard P67a-G45 only has a single PWM connection (currently have 4 fans on a PWM splitter but because of this I have to use Speedfan to control the speeds, strangely Speedfan also controls the non-PWM fans)

Spec:

i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz standard voltage

8gb Kingston hyper-x grey (1600mhz 8-8-8-20 timings)

P67a-G45 motherboard

Msi 6950 2gb Twin Frozr III

Coolermaster 212+ heatsink + fan

NZXT 550w

NZXT M59 case

2tb WD Blue boot / storage drive (soon to be storage only)

Soon to be installed Samsung 830 128gb SSD

B6CC6D07-0533-458E-806B-BC1E940A45F1-1280-000001198E458255.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Right, I use my computer for everything and I want to keep the music related stuff (Cubase yadayada) separate from the games and other stuff like surfing interweb, photoshop etc. Currently have one 750GB hard drive. What would be the better option?

Option 1

SSD - Windows only

HD1 - Music stuff only

HD2 - Other programs and games

Option 2

HD1 - Windows and music stuff

HD2 - Windows and other programs and games

Edited by weirdoku

Right, I use my computer for everything and I want to keep the music related stuff (Cubase yadayada) separate from the games and other stuff like surfing interweb, photoshop etc. Currently have one 750GB hard drive. What would be the better option?

Option 1

SSD - Windows only

HD1 - Music stuff only

HD2 - Other programs and games

Option 2

HD1 - Windows and music stuff

HD2 - Windows and other programs and games

I currently run 60GB ssd for Os and software, and 2TB Caviar black for music,videos, ect. 60Gb is pretty small for an ssd, i'd go for at least 80 if i was you.

It depends if you're looking for the performance of an SSD, or just looking to run two hard drives?

My helpful contribution, my setup:

Option 3

SSD - Windows, Programs, some Games

HD1 - Steam folder, Documents, Music

HD2 - Video

Ideally a backup in there too.

I'd say go for a 128gb SSD as a minimum. I have 128gb Crucial M4s in my desktop and laptop (don't recommend them, nothing wrong with mine but recent firmware issues).

I install most of my programs to the SSD, because I want things to boot fast. However, my Steam folder is 60gb so that won't fit.

heg guys

i need to get a laptop for school and for home, but i am not really familiar with them, I had pc all in my life

does anyone have any experience with gt640/645/660m graphs card? I do not know how powerfull are they ( i mean my previous cards were as thick as the laptop itself), what should i expect them?

I currently run 60GB ssd for Os and software, and 2TB Caviar black for music,videos, ect. 60Gb is pretty small for an ssd, i'd go for at least 80 if i was you.

It depends if you're looking for the performance of an SSD, or just looking to run two hard drives?

For me 60GB for OS including software is waaaay not enough, I need about 100GB which is just about comfy. I was thinking, if I go the SSD route I'll just get a smallish one like a 30GB just for the OS and install the other software on the other 2 hard drives, that way I don't have to keep installing windows everytime I decide to format them for a clean fresh start.

I'm a little bit fussed about the performance of the SSD, having it to boot into windows faster would be nice. I could get a third hard drive just for windows but even a cheap £50 would be a 500GB which is a lot of wasted space just for windows.

My helpful contribution, my setup:

Ideally a backup in there too.

I'd say go for a 128gb SSD as a minimum. I have 128gb Crucial M4s in my desktop and laptop (don't recommend them, nothing wrong with mine but recent firmware issues).

I install most of my programs to the SSD, because I want things to boot fast. However, my Steam folder is 60gb so that won't fit.

Don't SSD have a certain read/write cycle before they sort of start dying? My music stuff uses a lot of disc accessing, although it'll be fast won't I decrease it's life quite quickly??

Forgot to say I already have a 1TB external HD for my music and movie songs and some other program installs.

Edited by weirdoku

Don't SSD have a certain read/write cycle before they sort of start dying? My music stuff uses a lot of disc accessing, although it'll be fast won't I decrease it's life quite quickly??

Forgot to say I already have a 1TB external HD for my music and movie songs and some other program installs.

i don't use much software so 60gb is just enough for me.

Yes ssd's do have a lifespan but depending on usage, mines been going faultless for a couple of years now.

I dont know how long an ssd would last for you, but considering you seem competent enough to install OS's and stuff, you'd be refreshing your hardware in a few years anyway

Theoretically yes, but so to HDDs. I remember one guy saying that in the last year, a far higher percentage of HDDs sold in the last 3 years were returned to his shop than SSDs. Basically they'll all tend to last for a few years, at least until they are obsolete.

I'd have 2 internal drives and re-use the external as a backup drive, because external drives are generally rather slow.

Edited by Muel

• 3 months later...

Current specs are:

Q6600@3ghz

EVGA 780i SLI For The Win mobo

4GB 1066mhz RAM

Corsair TX750 PSU

Should I spend ~£250 on a new GPU

OR

Spend ~£400 on the below CPU, mobo and RAM?

i5 3570k CPU

MSI Z77A-GD65 mobo

GeIL EVO Leggera 8GB 2400MHz

I want to play more recent games, still playing skyrim at the moment and currently at a point where my system just can't handle what's going on in the game. Want to play Crysis 3 as well but it doesn't run on DX9 cards...

If I got just a new GPU, my system will definitely bottle neck it but games will run better but a new CPU, mobo and RAM might squeeze a little more out of my 2x GTX260 which currently is a little bit bottlenecked. Of course which ever way I choose I can sell the old parts and get some moneys back.

Can't decide.