Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Anyone here using FreeNAS? I’m on 11 but had to do a fresh install after my usb boot disk died. Now I can’t seem to get permissions set properly for smb sharing. Either no access at all for any users, or access for all. I want specific users access to specific shares. 

I could do with a new rig for work duties, which will sit in the office rather than at home and won't be subject to games etc.

Current thoughts are to just pick up a used i5 (2500k/similar) build cheap, throw in an SSD, cheap graphics card for dual monitors and be happy with something plenty capable enough. Anyone see any reason not to/point me in the direction of something comparable for similar minimal outlay?

I'm still using my 2500k@4.5ghz and it flies, runs solidworks just as well as my 4770k at work.

It's coupled with a gtx780, 16gb 2100mhz ddr3 and a crucial ssd and runs all current games at 1080p just perfectly :)

Something similar might be a little overkill for office :D

Overkill is good. Given they're cheap now (pick up a box for ~£120 or so) by the time I've thrown in an SSD for the OS/software (data stored elsewhere) and a basic graphic card to drive a pair of monitors (I have an old 4770 somewhere) it should be more than capable enough to simultaneously work/procrastinate for less outlay than a basic new office computer.

If you're not interested in overclocking the tits off it for gaming/3D cad then go for an i5 2400/2500 (non K) based unit, it will be a lot cheaper and will at a push still run solidworks and the like pretty well.  The sandybridge K chips still hold their prices reasonably well for their age because they are so stonkingly good.

If you are interested in potentially overclocking it then make sure you get a decent motherboard with it :)

• 3 weeks later...