Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

if your just after a basic psu try looking at novatechs own ones ive been using one in my rig for about 6 months so far so good.

Right I have a questions Im having an odd intermittent problem with my pc. Im starting to think its my wireless card, as it only happens when Im online.

I tends to happen if I load a game and play online in the first game I play i will get massive lag kick in for a few minutes like going from 39ms ping to 1000 plus this will last for a few minutes then the rest of the machine follows suit and it gets jumpy as hell. A quick ctrl alt dlt and restart will solve this and all the time the computer is on after the restart I can do what ever I want play for as long as I want with no repeat of the problem. It also happens when using the internet. It never happens when im not doing anything that actually uses the internet like watching movies tv shows or playing single player games.

Any ideas?

I dont really want to run an ethernet cable around the lounge as I use it as a media station and its set up next to my tv not at a desk.

PS. Im also tight and dont want to spend money if i can avoid it.

can you connect the PC to the router/modem with a cable? I am not asking you to do it permanently, just for a while to check the problem.

I would take out the PCI card and plug the ethernet cable to the motherboard to see first what is wrong. But sounds like the card honestly

Could you check newer firmwares first for your card?

Ok i need some help. A while ago my pc kept shutting down randomly and came up with "asus anti surge protection was triggered to protect the system from an unstable power source".. So i opened it up pushed a few wires and got rid of the small amount of dust that was in there. But now like 2 months later it has started doing it again but alot more frequent, It used to only do it while gaming but now does it while browsing too. Im using this psu http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Builder-Series-Modular-Certified/dp/B00ALYOTTI/ref=sr_1_1? ie=UTF8&qid=1391980545&sr=8-1&keywords=psu+600

and this is like the message that comes up http://img.tapatalk.com/728f30ee-51d1-0c97.jpg

Any idea what this could be ?? Driving me crazy and im scared its gonna f**k the computer up

how old is the PSU?

How stable is the power in the main?

Honestly, it sounds like you have a dying PSUm but what do you mean "pushed a few wires?"

If the main is stable for other computers, no flickering lights, TV stay turned on, then I would buy a PSU like right now!

If your ASUS motherboard will not protect you once, then you are f*cked.

Anyway, could you do a Voltage reading from the BIOS? It should show what are the voltages on the 12/5/3.5V rails

Need some pointers and advice. I NEED a desktop. Mainly because I've been using my gfs laptop for the last 18 months. its no the best laptop there is. keeps crashing and what not. Can't edit vids, pics and isn't cable of what I need!

So basically I need a desktop. I have no clue of what all the numbers mean!!

My Needs:

- Two monitors. Can't hack one! had 2 on the set up that my old fella have me (was an aldi special I think)

- Need to be able to edit videos. ( current set up crashed on importing)

- 1tb hard drive. (for storing stuffs)

- Upgrade-able If I want to get a better graphics card etc I want to be able to do so.

- Cheap ish. between £400 - £ 500

I have all the hardware, I dont need is soon, so I can get bits here and there, and hopefullt build it myself. but whats out there off the shelf thats half decent!

Need some pointers and advice. I NEED a desktop. Mainly because I've been using my gfs laptop for the last 18 months. its no the best laptop there is. keeps crashing and what not. Can't edit vids, pics and isn't cable of what I need!

My Needs:

- Two monitors. Can't hack one! had 2 on the set up that my old fella have me (was an aldi special I think)

- Upgrade-able If I want to get a better graphics card etc I want to be able to do so.

I have all the hardware, I dont need is soon, so I can get bits here and there, and hopefullt build it myself. but whats out there off the shelf thats half decent!

Could get a pre build, but you pay for the assembly so less bang for your buck.

Or you could do a barebones bundle and add the other stuff.

Or you could go to overclockers.co.uk and get stuff there. They do some pretty sweet weekly deals ans motherboard bundles. Then get a sweet graphics card and a hard drive and wack it in a case x

My Needs:

-Do you already have 2 monitors? If they are cheap they cost around £100, so they will be your half budget

-How serious video editor are you/want to be? Is it for hobby (just making some videos about you riding for fun) or at professional level?

If you want to do it as a hobby then the cheaper computer will do as well, as if you would wait half an hour for a video to render then it will not be a huge problem for you, but if you are doing it for a living, then you would like to render it as fast as possible

-Hard drives are cheap, for £45 you can get 1 TB drive, for £100 you can get a 3TB drive

-If it is a PC or a Mac Pro (although it is "slightly out of budget starting at £2500) it is upgradable. If it is a Mac, then the answer is no, but your PC is upgradable

- First please answer for the first two questions and I will sort something out for you :)

Giggle.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jonathantrillo/saved/3C0B New build for a "Advance facebook machine" Buget was $300 (200 pounds).

That is a decent build, although I would use a cheaper SSD, as I reckon the user will not notice the difference among this and for example an Ultra plus SSD :)

-Do you already have 2 monitors? If they are cheap they cost around £100, so they will be your half budget

-How serious video editor are you/want to be? Is it for hobby (just making some videos about you riding for fun) or at professional level?

If you want to do it as a hobby then the cheaper computer will do as well, as if you would wait half an hour for a video to render then it will not be a huge problem for you, but if you are doing it for a living, then you would like to render it as fast as possible

-Hard drives are cheap, for £45 you can get 1 TB drive, for £100 you can get a 3TB drive

-If it is a PC or a Mac Pro (although it is "slightly out of budget starting at £2500) it is upgradable. If it is a Mac, then the answer is no, but your PC is upgradable

- First please answer for the first two questions and I will sort something out for you :)

That is a decent build, although I would use a cheaper SSD, as I reckon the user will not notice the difference among this and for example an Ultra plus SSD :)

- I have the monitors yes,

- Well its just hobby editing, but I want decent software, not movie maker. But I fine Adobe hard to use. So I'l get that "off the internet" ;)

- PC would be best. only had a go on one mac and found it

Thanks mukka

- I have the monitors yes,

- Well its just hobby editing, but I want decent software, not movie maker. But I fine Adobe hard to use. So I'l get that "off the internet" ;)

- PC would be best. only had a go on one mac and found it

Thanks mukka

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2QRn5

It has an 8 core processor (video editing will like it)

8GB of RAM ( you can add more in the future if you would like)

1 TB quick hard drive ( you can add 3 or 5 more HDD or SSD to this motherboard)

HD 7770 GPU ( it is good for general gaming and editing purposes while keeping the price low)

Good powersupply ready for future upgrades

No OS(+£60)

No disc reader (£15 or so, but personally I have not used them for a quite while)

Computer is up and running :) typing on it now :D

My friend Anthony and his dad sorted it out and rebuilt it. Well happy.

Although upon booting there is a red line of text that says something about an nvidia error. I will get a pic, it's pretty strange and says nothing about it once i've started it up.

• Like 1

Cheapest was only $10 cheaper really.

I would never use a cheaper SSD because they vary wildly in quality. Much like with a PSU or a hard drive you're better off investing in decent kit. IMO the Samsung 840 is the best SSD on the market at the moment. I have Crucial M4s and they're OK, but not quite as good as the 840. I've played with one (belonging to Ogre from this here forum) and it was lovely piece of kit.

Persoally (as an SSd Virgin) I would go with something like Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD, as 64GB is just £45, and that is an amount of money I would give out for this technology first.

On a side note

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/custom-built-gaming-pc/1047874583

These adds makes me want to get an old Intel machine, OC it and just admire it.... I know that they are not that old, but damn, they were beasts back then :)

Persoally (as an SSd Virgin) I would go with something like Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD, as 64GB is just £45, and that is an amount of money I would give out for this technology first.

On a side note

These adds makes me want to get an old Intel machine, OC it and just admire it.... I know that they are not that old, but damn, they were beasts back then :)

The cheek! :P

Im still running a Q6600 ;)

At the moment my fx.8320 is at stock clocks but as soon as I get a proper psu i will go for 4.5, if the chip can handle it as my mobo has good digi vrms (8+2)an awesome cooler, xigmatek dark knight 2, now the needed atuffs are psu and time :)

On a side note

64GB Would be too small, my build does not have a HDD or any other means of storage.

You're a bit strange... :P

I reckon the best price/performance ratio for SSDs is around £100 now. I have a 128gb Crucial M4 but I'd be buying a 256gb Samsung 840 now.

I'm considering buying another SSD so I can swap the boot drive between Mint Linux and Windows. I've tried dual booting in the past but it always falls over after a couple of months, then I have 2 OSs to reinstall.