Vinyl Cutting Software?

RobinJI

Hi guys, I need to make up some stickers over the next few days. A friend's got a vinyl cutter, but I need to give him a .sbd file for it, and the software he recommended me to use (signblazer elements) is crashing on my laptop, as well as being a bit crap/old before it started crashing.

Does anyone know any other software I could use to produce the file? The drawing I want cutting out is currently in a Publisher file, it wouldn't be that big deal if I had to trace it as it's just a fairly simple logo, but if it'll recognise the edges then it'd be ideal.

Thanks, Robin

From what I've gathered over the past few months, any vector based file should be alright. So that's an illustrator .ai file, or a PDF or Svg really. That sign blazer program I assume could convert one of those files (surely your mate doesn't always ask clients to supply a sbd file?)

If you have a massive version of your logo you could convert it to a vector using vector magic.com, that's what I've done recently. A smaller image doesn't convert so well, so make it as big as possible so its more accurate once it's been converted and scaled back down to normal size :)

Thanks, that's a big help. He doesn't make stickers professionally, only for his own products, so he doesn't really do bit's for other people often. I'm really not sure if sign blazer could, it's pretty basic, but I'd hope it could anyway. The version I've got on publisher's A4 sized, but I can blow it up easily enough. It's quite simple shapes, it's the last logo in the 'company logo' thread (without the boarder).

I don't have illustrator unfortunately :( I'll have to see how it goes tomorrow with the files I've got now, hopefully I'll have some luck. Thanks though, I may have to see if I can get a copy if it turns out to be something I do a lot of. I'd guess most places will be fine with PDF's though?

• 5 years later...

Thanks for the nearly 6 year bump, but I'm now nearly 5 years into a different profession. I still need to get stuff cut, but I don't think the average plotter would manage the 304 stainless steel we usually use. 

• Like 2