Bikes On Trains

OAndrews

Wanna expand on that?

I've never had issues with taking push-bikes on a train....

I'll expand. From Falmouth to Truro (approx 10 miles) there's a small 3 carriage train. They have seats on the first carriage which fold up to allow bikes to slot in.

From Truro to Plymouth, (approx 50 miles), there's a separate small carriage especially for bikes, where you can put them.

Hope that's helpful.

Edited by Martin Reynolds
  • Like 1

The trains near me have special carriages for bikes, they are marked with a symbol outside (I think its 1 in 3 carriages, or the first and last). There is a rack in the carriage but they don't usually fit fat tyres. So you have to stand there and hold it. It may vary on other companies, but its fine to take bikes on as long as you use the designated area. I wouldn't leave my bike unattended.

The trains near me have special carriages for bikes, they are marked with a symbol outside (I think its 1 in 3 carriages, or the first and last). There is a rack in the carriage but they don't usually fit fat tyres. So you have to stand there and hold it. It may vary on other companies, but its fine to take bikes on as long as you use the designated area. I wouldn't leave my bike unattended.

I found putting the front tyre in the stand was fine, and on bigger trains with a separate carriage for bikes, they got funny about you staying with the bike.

Always been fine in Yorkshire except one time when some old guy wouldn't let me on the first train on a Sunday with practically no one on it because my bike didn't fit in the stand

Trials bike handlebars are too wide for yorkshire trains.

So I waited an hour for the next one, walked all the way up to shipley glen and my chain snapped so had to limp home.

Got a car now :wub:

They're always okay with it unless its rush hour they won't let you on unless you have a folding bike, or no bike.

I went Worthing once, had to transfer at Brighton. When I tried to get the next train to Worthing they wouldn't let me on. I wasn't allowed on the train back home either, pissed me off so much.

Northern Rail are usually pretty cool with us on the Skipton - Leeds run. Let us either lean them against the opposite door or take them into the more open area by the toilet and disabled access and seating area. They can be a bit funny if its peak time, but 9/10 times youll manage to get on.

I tried changing a tube on the train ones and got an ear full. I was right in front of the doors though haha.

might be why then ;)

I was given a shouting at for tightening my cranks. Apparently my Allen Key was "A potentially lethal weapon that should not be weilded on board the train". Maybe I should have used it to tighten the loose screw she had in her head..

• Like 3

As you are from Salisbury I'll assume it's related to travelling from Salisbury. Both South West Trains and First Great Western services that from Salisbury have designated areas for I believe 2 bikes in a specific carriage, this should be clear by a sticker of a bike by a door on the train. This is the cycle restriction map for South West Trains http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/uploads/cyclesontrains2010map.pdf and this is the website for details for travelling with First great Western http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/~/media/PDF/About%20us/Cycle%20by%20train_Nov_2011.pdf

That was the most recent one, during the Olympics. Luggage works just as well (Y)

yeah that was annoying but the gaurds down here wouldn't let us lot on no matter what we did with ours :( we managed to get one trip in during the olympics by saying we were stranded and needed to get home on the train :)

I guess this only works if you buy your ticket in advance but you can book bikes onto most trains and its free. Im pretty sure if you book a ticket online you always get a specified train, therefore you have to be allowed with your bike (in the cycle area) onto that train. In my experience the cycle car is stewarded so with proof you can always get your bike on.

This is however for trains with cycle carriages.

I remember when i was a train wanker.. I even used it on a couple of occasions when i even drove. But now its just easy to go splits on a friend with petty in a car.

But yeah some of the train line companies are quite strict saying you have to book your bike on in advance and one time i just ignored what they said and jumped on just about the train was going to leave n stood in a spaced area near a toilet catered for a couple of bikes n the guy walked past n did not even say one thing.

Virgin suck horsedicks for taking bikes on board. They're pretty militant about having them booked in advance. Pretty much everyone else is fine in comparison.

If you're booking a ticket in advance though it's almost always free to reserve a bike space, so you might as well just to play it safe.