Marino Bike 2013 Team Rider Found & frame order discussion thread

LEON

We all know who Marino is

http://www.marinobike.com/

He is looking for a new rider to sponsor with a new 4130 heat treated custom frame, any wheel size, geo, set up you want.

He's asked me & Ross McArthur to check out some unsponsored riders and pick one.

He's looking for a few things...

* Your riding should speak for itself and you shouldn't be afraid to go big.

* You should be creative & well rounded, no tgs robots, but not someone who just manuals & foot jam whips either.

* Demo riding would be an advantage.

* You'll already have good videos made, and have the equipment to carry on doing it, high quality frequent pictures & videos.

* You should be a pleasant person with a good attitude.

* You'll have a good style and image and generally promote the Marino name in a good way.

* Someone who has consistently ridden for a long time & doesn't quit once a year for 6 months.

* Competition results would be a plus but not essential as I know not THAT many people do them.

I think that's about it, so send me or Ross McArthur your videos and tell us why you'd be a good team rider.

PM me AND Ross, so we both see all without having to check with each other & swap info. Don't mail Marino, he's ridiculousy busy building frames!

Cheers

Edited by LEON

Brad, not all of it applies to me :wink:

Looking forward to seeing who ends up on this. I'm not up to the challenge, so I'll just build another super pretty Marino over the winter for next year ;)

Me too, I'll be building one too :) After my post GET gap month.

Edited by LEON

Such a shame that 99% of that list doesn't refer to me.

Maybe Marino is not that bothered of having a wide selection team riders from a variety of different riding disciplines, even though it would be a good for the brand name to show the versatility of his frame building work.

Any chance for a Brazilian rider?

Yeah I don't see any problem, he supplies any Country & you're much closer to him than we are.

Maybe Marino is not that bothered of having a wide selection team riders from a variety of different riding disciplines, even though it would be a good for the brand name to show the versatility of his frame building work.

I think he'd quite happily have a tgs rider, problem is the really good ones who are well rounded & go big & put themselves out there....are usually already sponsored.

Also, I'm not sure how tgs riders feel about steel frames, if you're constantly smashing a 3ft downtube into rails then maybe steel's not ideal.

He has plenty of team Bmx riders in Peru, he has dirt jumpers, fixie streetriders, they all do demos & shows over there, we're just a minor sub section of it all.

Also, could anyone who wants to PM us, please PM both me AND Ross, means we both get a good look without having to share everything in emails.

Edited by LEON

I guess what im saying is Marino prepared to give the opportunity to a capable rider who wants to give steel a go and represent the brand providing he can show that he is committed?

Basically, is the door of opportunity open even if the likelihood that no one comes forward?

Yeah I don't think anyone's out of the question, I mean if you're THAT good, switching from Alu to steel's not gonna hold you back.

Obviously he's after a certain standard of riding, but not at the cost of other important factors (I don't think he's gonna sponsor Damon again)

A Joe Maher kind of back catalogue is an advantage & shows the commitment & consistency needed, but again, not everyone has that, I never did.

Edited by LEON
  • Like 1

Doesn't Damon Watson ride for Marino?

He gave that up when the frame gave up on him. I'm sure the majority of people would be fine, but I saw that frame after he'd ridden it for a while and it was truly annihilated. Totally distorted and bent. If you looked at the bike from the rear you could see the wheels no longer lined up

• Like 1

That was made of mild steel, years ago when Marino first started making frames, they were a hell of a lot heavier & nowhere near as strong as the heat treated 4130 cro mo he has now, no comparison, I've had both.

Another thing to consider is that he asked Marino for the lightest thinnest tubing possible, Marino said no, but he insisted, so he goes and does some 15ft drops, 20ft drop gaps, and low and behold, the diet mild steel tubing (thinned & weakened by request) didn't want to know.

That was made of mild steel, years ago when Marino first started making frames, they were a hell of a lot heavier & nowhere near as strong as the heat treated 4130 cro mo he has now, no comparison, I've had both.

Another thing to consider is that he asked Marino for the lightest thinnest tubing possible, Marino said no, but he insisted, so he goes and does some 15ft drops, 20ft drop gaps, and low and behold, the diet mild steel tubing (thinned & weakened by request) didn't want to know.

this plus the fact he weights like 5 human beings

• Like 1