Marino Bike 2013 Team Rider Found & frame order discussion thread

LEON

That was made of mild steel, years ago when Marino first started making frames, they were a hell of a lot heavier & nowhere near as strong as the heat treated 4130 cro mo he has now, no comparison, I've had both.

Another thing to consider is that he asked Marino for the lightest thinnest tubing possible, Marino said no, but he insisted, so he goes and does some 15ft drops, 20ft drop gaps, and low and behold, the diet mild steel tubing (thinned & weakened by request) didn't want to know.

You don't need to convince me that the frames are better or what ever. I'm sure even the weakest marino would be fine for me. But for him Marino is not the right sponsor

Hey guys, time to come out from behind the scenes...

I have a few questions I want to put to the entrants. We know what the candidate is going to do for Marino, make videos, be an ambassador bla bla. What I want to know is,

· What are you going to ask of Marino?

· What type of frame do you intended to ride?

· What ideas do you have that would be able to help Marino improve the quality of his frame builds?

· Why do you think you require the support of Marino?

Ok, so the first question, we all know the answer to. You want a free frame to ride? Right? Tell me if im worng?

The second. Marino doesnt really care whether it’s a brakeless frame with a seat or a long low comp style bike but he just wants to know if you have an idea of what you’re talking about when it comes to geo.

Third, both Leon and I give Marino feedback on his frames, whether it’s the hole in the BB being a bad idea due to mud and shi* getting into the BB threads or making 360 dropouts to make a more solid frame… We'd just like to know if you’re creative juices are flowing when it comes to design.

Lastly. Whats wrong with the frame you have at the moment? Don’t you like the geo of your echo/inspired/koxx?? Are you striving for a perfect geo?? Do you have ideas for a cool paint job? Can’t you afford a new frame?

We just want a wee bit more than “im a good guy, heres my video”. Know what I mean?

post-1701-0-75943000-1350390059_thumb.jp

He sure does, these new frames are triple butted heat treated 4130 so I'm assuming the trials forks will be the same. So the weight will be good too, +/- the 1kg mark.

And they're custom too so any length, rake, mounts. I've never seen a set price for forks though, they usually get ordered with frames, I'm not sure custom making a fork & then getting it sent here would be cost effective for him, maybe if there's a bulk buy though.

I've never tested a set, I've always had Inspired on my bikes but I'd like some with less offset.

Edited by LEON
  • Like 1

these new frames are triple butted heat treated 4130 so I'm assuming the trials forks will be the same. So the weight will be good too, +/- the 1kg mark.

thats something i know about,i helped marino to get his tube bender fixed(per email haha).

after broken tubes of all kinds and many adjustments we came to the conclusion that he HAD to heat treat the tubes before bending,then re-harden them afterwards,so yeah,theyre heat treated 4140 crmo.the weight of the proto forks was around 1112g.but that was straight gauge 1.8 mm tubing.atm hes getting his bender a new disc,in the future there will be fork legs with gauges down to 1.1mm,aprox.fork weight 980g.hot!

edit:just to not get beaten,thats calculated from butted tubing of 1.6 down to 1.1 mm,steerer 240mm,a2c 400

Edited by FamilyBiker
  • Like 2

If the rider who ended up sponsored was looking for frames, would they be provided with only trials frames or would they be allowed to get something else built as a second ride too, say fixie/bmx/jump/street frame?

I don't think Leon or has (I know I haven't) had anything other than a trials frame but im sure Marino could work something out with the rider if they wanted anything other than a trials frame. I do know that Marino has chosen a fixed track rider to support in 2013.

My 24" is about 4.8/4.9 lbs.

To compare....a 2013 Fourplay is 5.156lbs, and a Skye is about 5.3lbs.

My frame's quite old, it's made from his old batch of 4130 cro mo from probably late 2010, not the new triple butted stuff he's using now.

Edited by LEON

Pretty sure it's just triple butted 4130... It's the old stuff he used to make from that was 'carbon steel' and nowhere near as good.

At least 4130 is what I've just sent through my final spec for :shades:(hopefully soon I will forget how many evenings I've spent going back and forth for...)

i couldnt stand all this new stuff aswell and sent my new order to my friend mr.alegre this minute.couldnt wait for that since i got my first one :dance:

44mm offset?? Noooooo, that's Pashley rake!

410 x 25 would be spot on.

with a ha of 73° 44 is spot on(edit:for me,made me think it over about months),going trialsier this time...

Edited by FamilyBiker

tell me what you mean ali...

everyones different,i wanna go the way the old fourplays were(plus 15 bb more),if i switch forks to my 30mm rake ones,i´d go streetie(1020 wb),but my 990/+25/365 frame i got now is way too untrialsy for me.

the bar angle and components are not taken from real life though...

heard of someone whos going for 980 wb(we all know him,from here at least)

thats strange for me,without offence :wink2:

Edited by FamilyBiker