Lance Armstrong

monkeyseemonkeydo

I'm not a huge follower of road racing but obviously know of Lance Armstrong, his own determined responses to anyone accusing him of doping and also the seemingly widespread cheating which goes on in the sport but I'm surprised we haven't had a discussion in here about the story.

So yeah, what are people's thoughts? Hate campaign against him by people lying about what he's done or is he just a very convincing lying b*****d himself?

lying b*****d

Why do all these people and the '200+ pages' of evidence so him in a bad light if they weren't true?

Considering it seems to have gone on for so many years and the number of race results that are in doubt now will lead to some interesting times ahead.

Edited by AndrewEH1

My thoughts are similar to my thoughts about those about this whole Jimmy Saville thing. If you couldn't catch him while he was doing it, leave it alone and try harder to catch the next lot.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that you should applaud dopers and sexual prowlers if they're good enough at it to manage it right under your nose, but almost.

• Like 3

it must be a conspiarcy so the crab people to rule the earth.

on a serious note there seems to be an obsession of stripping people of their power and/or dignity in the media recently. they sould just do two catagories, one for normaly people and one for those who like to cheat.

it must be a conspiarcy so the crab people to rule the earth.

on a serious note there seems to be an obsession of stripping people of their power and/or dignity in the media recently. they sould just do two catagories, one for normaly people and one for those who like to cheat.

like britney, its for the harvest

• Like 1

I've heard that all top road riders dope but do it very cleverly so as not to get caught and that the governing body sometimes have it in for a rider so will test them extra well while kind of turning a blind eye (not testing them so thoroughly) to others that they like. I don't know if that's true but I've heard several people say you can't ride at that level without doping.

it seems to be a personal vendetta to bring down Armstrong at all costs. The whole thing is a farce. Whether he took drugs or not doesn't seem to be important to me, the fact that USDA seem to have bribed their way to testimonies and gone back further in time than they should, to take down what was a shining light in cycling at a time of pretty terrible cheating has just shat on road cycling in general. To someone not part of cycling - how can they trust any achievement from now on, wiggins ? cav ? Its all shot to shit.

Personally I think the first couple of tours - sure he took a shit load of drugs, and later on less to none (the rules have some room it seems on some levels of hormones that you can enhance yourself with). But so did everyone else, leaving some guy in 11th to take the official tour de france title for one year.

Armstrongs achievement was incredible, and has done amazing things for charity. He also banged sheryl crow. To shoot him down years after the event with fairly poor evidence is just no good for anyone.

Also - His federal case was dropped against him after two years of investigation by the fbi, but somehow USADA handing out shorter bans to ex team mates in return for testimony is enough to convict ? Go figure. The real verdict comes when his team boss' federal case verdict comes up

I've heard that all top road riders dope but do it very cleverly so as not to get caught and that the governing body

Read up on microdosing epo... I would doubt its just road riders doing it - something that gives a clear advantage and cant be tested for ? Also a little off topic but interesting - read up on Usain Bolts 'coach' and Yohan Blake (who has failed a drugs test in the past - who knew)

all these companies that sponsored him, ie nike, oakley, trek, etc, must have known what was going on. you don`t do something to that level and nobody knows whats going on. it was the same with tiger woods, when he lost all his sponsors due to his addiction to large breasted ladies from las vegas. the high rollers that bankroll him, WILL have known what went on. a company the size of nike are not stupid. its a face saving exercise

Personally I find it disgraceful that so many people in road cycling are using doping. I know this all boils down to money coming in from sponsors etc. but personally I could not look myself in the mirror if I won something by cheating. And yet these people do.

but if everyone else is cheating, is it still cheating? :cool2:

That would be a valid point if everyone else cheated. But from what I read on the subject, it's not the case. In the top 10 there are still those who are supposedly clean.

I listened to the BBC radio interview with Armstrong's colleagues in the US Postal team, and from all the evidence and accounts, it showed that those who didn't dope were singled out in the 'cycling society' and portrayed in a way that they were wrong for not doping.

Also it was said that there was so few that didn't dope, that in one particular race (i can't remember which) if the title was given to the first person who was not using performance enhancers/EPO/Blood doping, it would be given to the rider that came 23rd.

Its just one big scam, and the majority of races are just completely illegitimate

But i would say Lance himself is one of the main culprits due to the level of his involvement

Why now though, after like 15 years?

Because he failed to submit for a drugs test when asked for, which in the eyes of WADA is enough proof to ban for.

His reason 'fed up of constantly having to submit for drugs tests, even though passed every single one of his length career cleanly'

The controversy, why fail to submit a drugs test?

I think WADA have a point though, not submitting to a drugs test is a giveaway. It's like not submitting to a Breathalyzer.

If he did dope though, I doubt it would have been EPO (Erythropoitin) because that stuff is like insanely easy to pick up on a drugs test,

my guess is a growth hormone (of which they are plenty varieties to chose from) that WADA have just found out about and now include on their drug tests.

You see, until an unknown substance is proved to be performance enhancing... the doping authorities (same for all sports) have no way to test for it, and still don't until they can get a sample of the drug. That's probably how he avoided detection for soo long.

If you wanna read more about drugs in sport there is a fantastic book by my Drugs Lecturer Chris Cooper called 'Run, Swim, Throw, Cheat' + he has a blog by the same title.

-Showurcolours

EDIT:

Ok so apparently, the official USADA (not WADA as I said in first report, same job, different countries) repor said that he had been guilty of blood manipulation and that it was EPO, therefore the only way he could get away with this (literally 'impossible' to cheat an EPO test now a days) is to have people on in inside of USADA. That's my conclusion anyway, I'm sure more will be illuminated in time

Edited by showurcolours

• 2 months later...