2 Week Old Echo Sl Freewheel Goes........

Andeee

Probably just a bad one (or he could have landed on it several times), I've broken 2 inners and one outer ring but about 9 months each, incredible free wheels and the only ones I trust. If he bought it from a good shop I'm sure they'd replace it under guarantee.

I was reminded last night that my mate Gaz had one of the silver ones do this last summer (2011).

He believes (as do me and another riding mate) that when echo changed the design my machining out that bit of metal to convert 8 prongs into 4 prongs on the center,

that they are now weak and have never been the same since. (center bodies splitting now seems routine with SL's)

As for the outer teeth splitting into quarters, I expect that from dicta's and welded ACS claws. (N)

I thought things had moved on over the last couple of years??

Edited by CC12345678910

They have - but manufacturing and materials defects can happen (like with anything), which is what the warranty is for.

Of course.

To Adam (or TB person using Adam's account)

What would happen if this happened twice in a row like it did to my aforementioned friend?? I presume you would only warranty once and the customer would be left outta pocket?

I mean, you couldn't keep replacing freewheels surely? that's not sustainable.

Of course.

What would happen if this happened twice in a row like it did to my aforementioned friend?? I presume you would only warranty once and the customer would be left outta pocket?

Unless they send it back to echo them selves who send out a free replacment.....

We would look at each case upon it's own merit, but most likely it would be replaced.

• Like 1

Of course.

We would look at each case upon it's own merit, but most likely it would be replaced.

Tartybikes replaced one of my TR sprockets with another which went again pretty much straight away, they then replaced it with a Try-All sprocket which was slightly more expensive and seems to be lasting.

Also take into account that most people running a ffw are probably running an SL.

I'd be interested to know what percentage of tarty's ffw sales are SL's and how the failure rate compares to other ffw's.

I Think and dont quote me on this, but i remeber seeing a failure rate of something like 3 in 1000 or 3000 for one of their batches?

That sucks, and I hope it gets sorted, but I think things like this happen with anything, it appears certain things get over engineered and some weakness do present them selfs. Abit different but I work in theatres for the NHS helping with surgical procedures, and the equipment we use is expensive, over engineered and we get faulty batches, which you wouldnt expect but does happen.

Dear Mr Deng

Please stop making parts and frames with the wrong materials.

Regards

Andrew

Dear Andrew,

I assure you a great thought and design goes into every Echo component, including material selection. As you see on our website we do extensive stress analysis on our component designs but any manufacturing process mistakes can happen, often out of our hands. In trial there is no right or wrong material as sport is always changing. We see carbon fibres used now and are looking into both plastic and ceramic materials for all components for future. I hope this one failure of Echo freewheel does not put you off our products in future.

Best,

Mr Deng

• Like 11