The Angry Thread.

Blake

Update on tenant situation:

He took it to court, lost, then appealed. Lost again last Friday, given a date of today to move out. I've been contacting him ever since to arrange a time to come get the keys off him, radio silence. I know that when I go up there this afternoon he'll still be there and I'll have to sort out bailiffs and whatever. This guy is f**king me right off. Can't wait to take him back to court to take everything he owns. 

• Like 2

classic van insurance woes.

Everyone seems to pay ~£300 for insurance around my age, so it was lovely to get a quote for £5000 for my bog standard van, fortunately that then reduced to £1300 (still far too much) and now the cheapest I can get with third party is £746 :(

It seems hitting the deer last year isn't good for quotes, same with my occupation.....it's high risk apparently (people might throw eggs at me they said :P ).

I've been pretty lucky that I've basically borrowed a van for the last year and had me put on their policy, so I've had a years free insurance which is awesome, going back to insurance reality sucks though.

Anyone know any decent companies to go for if you've had a write off recently?

4 minutes ago, Ali C said:

Everyone seems to pay ~£300 for insurance around my age, so it was lovely to get a quote for £5000 for my bog standard van, fortunately that then reduced to £1300 (still far too much) and now the cheapest I can get with third party is £746 :(

It seems hitting the deer last year isn't good for quotes, same with my occupation.....it's high risk apparently (people might throw eggs at me they said :P ).

I've been pretty lucky that I've basically borrowed a van for the last year and had me put on their policy, so I've had a years free insurance which is awesome, going back to insurance reality sucks though.

Slightly different situation but I had 2 accidents and a speeding ticket the year before last and insurance crippled me, last year I paid £1700 with budget van insurance, this year it's £850 with lloyds bank. 

18 hours ago, bikeperson45 said:

So it's not easy to get a tripod saddle on a tripod post, is it?

Found the best (i.e. non-shittest) way is to have it so the seat is on the rear/rear bump with the nose pointing upwards, then line up the rear prongs on the post with the saddle, then use two hands on the post to push down and kind of rotate them further into place.  If you hold the bottom end of the post in one place with your one hand then press down at the top of the post with your other to get it to properly seat and click into place you'll be fine.  Once they're in you can slip the spacer in up front, then compress the front end closed and enjoy the "Oh f**k are these threads stripping?" feeling as the first couple of threads on the bolt just about make contact.  Once you've got it done they're bueno though, prefer the shape/feel/look/weight of them by far :)

4 hours ago, JD™ said:

Thanks Ads, good to know we're obviously not the only ones! Out of interest, did it put you off the whole landlording lark or have you carried on?

3 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Carried on - don't let it put you off. The majority of people are actually decent human beings :)

From the perspective of the tenant, Adam's right.  I live in a shithole in Preston and over the past year or so I've lived there, after the initial people who lived there moved out it's had a relatively high turnover of residents.  These have ranged from a Nigerian lady who was super polite, friendly, made big pots of delicious food and left them out for anyone to try through to one of the present c**ts who lives with me who's got bailiffs coming round for his stuff, has his friends come round (and ring the doorbell to get his attention) in the middle of the night, has never cleaned, leaves stuff lying around everywhere and is in general a subhuman piece of shit.  What I'm getting at is that if you're opening your place up to everyone, you'll inevitably get some dickheads, but most will range from tolerable to cool.  I wouldn't let one guy trying to dick you over put you off letting again.

If the letting agency you plump for are anything as shit as the ones my landlady farmed us out to, you're going to be paying out a bunch of money for f**k all.

1 hour ago, Ali C said:

To be honest if you've got a recent total loss claim then £742 is not really that bad, it's probably double what it should be if you had no claims/points or anything. Are you back to 0 no claims or was it protected?

I paid £520 my first year having a van, fully comp, but with 0 no claims on a van, they don't count 5+ years ncb on a bike and 4 year ncb on a car so I got the noob treatment. But it's declared for work, all sign written etc and this year it was about £450. Mine's Admiral but you've probably already tried them. Last year I was with City Insurance.

Edited by LEON

Got the flat back, and it's not completely f**ked, so that's good. This ones getting sold so we can get ourselves a house down here, so I won't be letting again for a while either way. Thank f**k that's over. 

• Like 5

Going away early tomorrow morning and needed an item from Amazon.
No problem, place order before noon last Thursday, pay a fair whack more for expedited delivery to ensure it arrives on time.

Order not dispatched for over 48 hours.
"Expedited" delivery slower than RM First Class.

Not going to arrive until tomorrow at the earliest. FFS.

I'm rarely ill.  So I have been on holiday from work since the 9th, one week of that was spent in bed with a flu which almost killed me, I've peaked and now getting better.

it's now boxing day and the world just fell out my anus.

Fantastic.  Merry Christmas. 

• Like 1

Not angry but feeling frustrated.

Vlogging cameras again. I'm not wanting to sacrifice convenience for the sake of better picture quality which is why I've used my Gopro for so long but I am always on the hunt for something similar but with better quality.

I saw Sony came out with the X3000r action camera and it had a few great selling points such as optical image stabilisation (rather than digital on the Hero5), mic input and better lens/image quality.

It's arrived today and it seems very good but it's not perfect. My Rode mics don't work very well with it for starters and it's extremely fiddly to setup. Gopro are just so simple and the touch screen makes it so quick to swap settings and view footage. The Sony has a seperate screen connected with bluetooth which has it's advantages (can set up my camera, ride off and get ready to do a line and have the screen on my wrist and only start recording when I need to) but it has a slight lag and it powers down after a few moments to save batteries, it also takes forever to connect to the camera, if something was happening quickly that needed recording I'd miss an awful lot just waiting for the screen to connect,although if you ignore the screen the time from powering on to recording is a lot faster than a gopro, you just won't be able to frame the shot as well.

Why can't companies just make cameras that just work? Touch screens are just so handy, why in this day and age would you go backwards? If this Sony camera had a gopro screen it'd be ideal.

The Sony is growing on me, turns out my computer media player was at fault for the audio and once in the editor it sounds great, my phone connects to the camera too which is good, gives me a touch screen if I really need one but the actual manual button controls aren't as bad as I thought.

I'm looking to see if I can find a small 3" hdmi screen to attach to my sony but I can't find any that small :( I'd like a screen with no lag ideally.

1 hour ago, Ali C said:

The Sony is growing on me, turns out my computer media player was at fault for the audio and once in the editor it sounds great, my phone connects to the camera too which is good, gives me a touch screen if I really need one but the actual manual button controls aren't as bad as I thought.

I'm looking to see if I can find a small 3" hdmi screen to attach to my sony but I can't find any that small :( I'd like a screen with no lag ideally.

Sony make this cool handheld grip, for some of its other action cams

Unfortunately, I don't think its compatible with your model, but they might release an updated version in the future.

1205f67f84d0ba1377a8c83f8ccfd1b8.jpg

On 19/12/2016 at 9:30 AM, Luke Rainbird said:

Going away early tomorrow morning and needed an item from Amazon.
No problem, place order before noon last Thursday, pay a fair whack more for expedited delivery to ensure it arrives on time.

Order not dispatched for over 48 hours.
"Expedited" delivery slower than RM First Class.

Not going to arrive until tomorrow at the earliest. FFS.

Not really much help but if you complain to amazon they will just refund you the shipping no problem.