The Angry Thread.

Blake

Sometimes wish I'd just gone into a dealership instead of this drama of a show at work. 

Sick of how "mish mash" things work with regards to how I'm paid. Hard to set a routine or plan ahead when I don't know what's going on. 

Tempted to go self employed and sort my money out myself. 

I'm not starving myself to loose weight, my old habit was to constantly snack and drink coke.

I'm eating 3 set meals, drinking water and nothing inbetween which is working pretty well so far, but I'm used to the biscuit snacking inbetween meals so that leaves me feeling hungry.

12 hours ago, SamKidney said:

Sometimes wish I'd just gone into a dealership instead of this drama of a show at work. 

Sick of how "mish mash" things work with regards to how I'm paid. Hard to set a routine or plan ahead when I don't know what's going on. 

Tempted to go self employed and sort my money out myself. 

If you're craving routine, or the ability to plan ahead, I'd suggest doing anything but going self employed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JD™ said:

If you're craving routine, or the ability to plan ahead, I'd suggest doing anything but going self employed.

Self employed in the sense I manage the way I'm paid while I'm here. At the moments it's a complete shambles. 

Upsides of self employment -

Finish early on a Friday if you feel like it.

Downsides of self employment -

Staying an extra 2h Monday to catch up from friday

Paper work when you get home

'I'm only staying another hour' he said to his other half at 9pm

Constantly in communication with customers, even Sunday night bath time

The honking tax bill you receive rather then trickle throughout the year in your pay packet

Time off results in no wage, which turns into no time off

It's always on your mind, ALWAYS

Everything is on you, responsibility for work coming in, work being undertaken and work completion through to payment is all on your head, let alone responsibility when you have a customer come back with a problem

The constant reminder from friends that your self employed, so you must be a millionaire that works 20 minutes on a Wednesday.

It will consume you.

Self employment has its ups and downs as you can see. In all seriousness though, if you are contemplating self employment whatever your situation at the garage, be 100% sure you give enough of a shit to do it. It will become everything you do, think about and talk about. If you have the drive and interest to do it self employment is fantastic. It offers good rewards for your work, you dictate your work load/flow and it gives you the freedom to refuse work that otherwise you'd be pulling your hair out at. Make sure your other half is understanding if your in that situation too. Generally people with a standard 9-5 don't understand why you don't just leave at 5, why you have issues with shutting shop for a full week, leaving you with no wage for the past week. if your not working, your not making money.

You won't realise how much you value time until you do it though and just how much time you wasted before. It's an old phrase your grandparents probably say and you think is bull but other is nothing more precious than time. That 3h job you booked in on Tuesday afternoon soon becomes a 5h job, that's 2h off the next job you need to pull back in somewhere which will be the end of the day.

Going SE was the best thing I ever did. I'm lucky to say I had the opportunity to dip my toe in and go part time SE before I went for it so could find my way in business before I jumped. It's given me opportunities I'd never dreamed of, I work on (in my opinion) some of the coolest stuff going, I've met people I never would have thought and made some fantastic contacts/friends, but you've gotta value it enough when your still chipping away at 10.30pm on a Saturday.What happened with fifty6 @JD ?? I know you've moved on but what lead you to that??

• Like 1

I've been speaking to a few different people that deal with this sort of scenario and they think given my situation its probably the right thing to do. 

I have the very real prospect of the business I'm working in being handed onto me by my uncle (the landlord) in a few years time so it's going to be worth my while sticking it out but I don't like how things operate at the moment with the business' current manager/boss. 

I have the drive to work and will regularly work extra hours without a worry in my current situation. If I can do that for myself and build a customer base for the future it'll only be beneficial. 

Im getting to the point where I'm wanting to move on in life and get shit sorted regarding housing/living but with how I'm paid currently and a distinct lack of paper work from the last few months that'll be tricky if it carries on like it is. 

Going self employed and effectively having the garage pay my wage for the work I do here means I can sort my own national insurance/pension/tax without worrying about someone else doing it who can't be arsed. The current scenario might be working from a "save money" in the business' favour but it's doing f**k all for me. 

1 hour ago, Tom Booth said:

What happened with fifty6 @JD ?? I know you've moved on but what lead you to that??

The agency world just ended up not being the one I wanted to be in. I ended up in a position where I was just running a team instead of doing things that interest me. That used to frustrate me, so as I approached 30 and had a baby on the way I re-evaluated what I wanted. I'm fortunate enough to be able to use my previous experience to get some really interesting consultancy gigs, so that's what I've been doing. I get to work from home mostly, which is going to be awesome when the baby comes along this month. Kind of reaping some of the rewards of all the hard work you described in the early years.

• Like 1

What ever happened to that one guy on here who made webuyanybike.com or something like that, then next thing you know someone posted pictures of him popping $200 champagne on a balcony.

31 minutes ago, TROYston said:

Car got clamped today due to no tax. Wonderful. Stupidity from my behalf. also £120 for tax, and another £100 to get the clamp removed. 

Nice work Troy, nice work indeed.

If it was clamped on private land, just cut the f**ker off because it's illegal to clamp on private land. Only the council, police, or dvla/ministry can clamp. Same with parking tickets. Chop it off, leave in a smouldering pile and bill the clamping firm for criminal damage to your car saying the scratched it. They'll soon drop the claim 

It was the DVLA. completely my own fault for forgetting about taxing the car is all.

If i had left my door about 1 minute earlier she wouldn't of clamped it but because she'd already wrote the slip she couldn't take it back because the job number.

I have only myself to be angry with.

It is on a shitty one way terraced street, with one side of the road 2 hour restricted parking, and the other side every fanny tries to cram their car on to avoid a parking ticket, and the road is a stones throw away from the centre of town, so every knobend parks here.

In the space of 4 years, excluding today, this road has cost me well over £600 in tickets.
Cant wait to move this year!

On 06/01/2017 at 7:18 AM, Tom Booth said:

I'm eating 3 set meals, drinking water and nothing inbetween which is working pretty well so far, but I'm used to the biscuit snacking inbetween meals so that leaves me feeling hungry.

Go for 5 smaller meals instead. Will help you keep topped up and you burn about 40 calories digesting each meal too. How much water are you getting through? 4L+ a day should help with hunger!

1 hour ago, TROYston said:

Car got clamped today due to no tax. Wonderful. Stupidity from my behalf. also £120 for tax, and another £100 to get the clamp removed. 

I was in exactly the same situation as you. I paid up the tax, paid to get the clamp removed and thought it was done and dusted. Then I moved house.

6 months later someone from my old house forwarded me a letter saying I owed £500 odd and debt collectors were after me. It turned out it went to court and I got fined, but I had no idea that was happening. So.. it may go to court yet. I don't know how it works nowadays, or if that's a welsh thing.

11 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Go for 5 smaller meals instead. Will help you keep topped up and you burn about 40 calories digesting each meal too. How much water are you getting through? 4L+ a day should help with hunger!

Possibly not 4l but atleast 2-2.5l, I'm starting to get used to the meal set outs so I'm not starving before my meals, just ready for them. I lost 5.5 lb last week :)

• Like 3

23 hours ago, tomturd said:

I was in exactly the same situation as you. I paid up the tax, paid to get the clamp removed and thought it was done and dusted. Then I moved house.

6 months later someone from my old house forwarded me a letter saying I owed £500 odd and debt collectors were after me. It turned out it went to court and I got fined, but I had no idea that was happening. So.. it may go to court yet. I don't know how it works nowadays, or if that's a welsh thing.

It'll go to TEC (traffic enforcement centre) and they'll stop at nothing to get the money. I had it about 7 years ago after I sold a car to someone and he got a ticket on it before the dvla processed the v5. He got a ticket in Hull, didn't pay it, then two years after I sold it to him I get a knock at the door with 2 bailiffs demanding £500 on behalf of tec. It has to be paid, there's no getting out of it 

7 hours ago, bing said:

It'll go to TEC (traffic enforcement centre) and they'll stop at nothing to get the money. I had it about 7 years ago after I sold a car to someone and he got a ticket on it before the dvla processed the v5. He got a ticket in Hull, didn't pay it, then two years after I sold it to him I get a knock at the door with 2 bailiffs demanding £500 on behalf of tec. It has to be paid, there's no getting out of it 

Im sure i remember you saying about this before in this thread? :S