The Happy Thread

Duncy H

21 minutes ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Does it depend on how it's configured where you start? I guess some seemingly random configurations require fewer 'moves' to complete than others?

that's different each time when you start, and all the way. you have to apply different algorithms depending of the cases you are in every point of the solve. Sometimes it is harder and sometimes (as happened to me) you skip some part.
It is a matter of memory and a lot of practice and to keep learning more algorithms and tips to get faster. World record is around 4 seconds.

Back from a five day trip to Montenegro with some friends - was super cool and some of the most beautiful places I've been to. Crazy to see how some people live in the world though, not that it's bad but it's just incredibly different. We weren't expecting that there'd be a group of 15 houses up in the mountains with a small market store but works for them, I'm still rather fond of internet, cinemas and all the jazz though.

Jumped on my bike at the weekend and managed a ropey 3ft sidehop and a bike length gap :lol:

Not bad considering it's (literally) been gathering dust for well over a year! 

Right, feeling like I need to scratch my moderator itch, anyone need banning? 

• Like 2

When faced with headset ball races that are 15 years old and thoroughly abused to the point of rust and siezed solid....

Pop the seals out, soak them in alcohol overnight, dip them in phosphoric acid cleaner for 20 minutes, rinse, dry, repack with grease and jobs a good un :)

Ok, so the bearings are slightly rough but for a headset that is not a concern, replacements from skf retail ar about 35 quid each!

Oh and having an oem supplier account with skf helps, along with an MD that will let you buy things on the account :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's my birthday on Monday (39 years young!) and mrs wife has got me a unicycle :D

Made me unwrap it today so I can play with it over the weekend. I can sort of balance it for a fraction of a second and then fall over. Time to practise I think :)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, forteh said:

It's my birthday on Monday (39 years young!) and mrs wife has got me a unicycle :D

Made me unwrap it today so I can play with it over the weekend. I can sort of balance it for a fraction of a second and then fall over. Time to practise I think :)

What make/size/style you got dude? 

Get a pic up! 

It's an indy trainer 20", dunno how well they're rated but was within budget and seems pretty well put together.

For a bit of fun learning to balance it should do just fine :)

DSC_0275.JPG

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1

Reuben had a frog 55 (20") for Christmas before last, he's grown like a weed and massively outgrown it now; he's riding it ok but really needs a bigger bike.

Mrs wife and I were discussing getting a new frog 62 (24"), selling the 55 and only being out of pocket by 150 quid or so.

A friend sends us a message today that there's a frog 69 (26") reduced down to 100 quid at Tamworth cash converters, I fly over there after work, haggle them down another tenner and walk out with a new bike. Needs tlc, mostly lube, set up and some knobbly tyres but sound and solid.

The bike is intended for 10-12 year olds, with the seat slammed Reuben can get the balls of his feet on the floor. He's eight!

DSC_0294.JPG

• Like 3

Well considering he's two years younger than the recommended age and 3" shorter inside leg for the frame I don't think it looks to big for him!

Stripped it completely yesterday, cleaned the frame up with some cutting compound (it was covered in scratches and scuffs). Soaked the chain in phosphoric acid cleaner to get rid of the surface rust and properly lathered it with oil and hung it up to drip. Cleaned, lubed and setup the brakes and slung it all back together. Fitted the azonic risers that he had on his old bike (4" wider than the stock frog bars) and sent him on his way.

Took to it like a duck to water, really comfortable on it and not bothered an ounce by the wheels increasing by 6"!

Only down side is that the frame is too narrow to take any of the knobbly tyres I have in stock, but having only paid 90 quid for it it's not the end of the world :D

FB_IMG_1527406349544.jpg

edit: cleaned up his old bike, put it up for sale this afternoon on the pre-owned frog bikes facebook page and just sold it for 190 quid! So we've upgraded to a newer, bigger, more expensive bike, recouped 90 quid to square it away and we have 100 quid to kit Reuben out with some snowboard gear :)

Edited by forteh
  • Like 5

I bought 80 something snowboards in summer to make a bit of money in winter, was getting a bit worried I wouldn't shift them. The ski fields aren't open for another few weeks, I have 2 left, delighted :D

• Like 1