Biketrial Federation 2013 Dates And Events

The Biketrial Federation annual meeting was held on Sunday 9th December at British Cycling HQ in Manchester. We had a good turnout and plenty of new ideas were discussed. We also decided on the dates and venues for 2013; seven rounds over the course of the year with a pretty even spread up and down the country. Two new venues, a city centre trial and three events with a new and interesting format.

The Biketrial Federation wesbite has now been updated with the majority of the news from Sunday's meeting. Dates and events for 2013 have been published, as have the changes that will be made to classes and events. Keep checking the website for further information on individual events over the course of the year!

http://www.biketrialuk.co.uk/

• Like 1

As far as I know at the moment Dan, it's going to be defined as 'a bike that's not trials-specific'. The idea behind that class is to allow people who are completely new to the sport to have a go without having to fork out for a trials-specific bike. I imagine there'll be some rules for insurance purposes, like needing working brakes, etc., but I think it'll be kept fairly loose in terms of the actual type and setup of bike.

I know what you are saying about attracting new people to the sport, and that can only be a good thing for the sport. Are you going to class fourplays/hex/zoots as trials bikes then? Seen as they are primarily marketed as street trials? I only ask cos there is nothing to stop somebody going out and buying a zoot and just riding it through a few white markers and taking a win. Some of the street riders i know who a hopeless at comps but good on street could just turn up and win. Think it needs to be none trials branded equipment to keep it fair. Then it will be pure mtb. But thats just my humble opinion :)

Edited by bing

Some of the street riders i know who a hopeless at comps but good on street could just turn up and win.

I'm pretty sure people have better things to do than drive miles and pay to ride white just to win.

Sounds like a good idea Ben. 'a bike that's not trials-specific' is pretty clear to me.

• Like 2

The Tyke Trial AGM, where the dates and venues for the club championship will be decided, is on Sunday 20th January. The time and venue haven't been confirmed yet, but it will be in the vicinity of Shipley Glen and in the afternoon, to give people the opportunity to ride in the morning and then come along to the meeting.

All members, prospective members, friends and family members are welcome and encouraged to attend. And if anyone has any proposals or suggestions, please feel free to email them to info@biketrialuk.co.uk.

'seven rounds over the course of the year with a pretty even spread up and down the country'

On Average it works out at 260 miles to each comp...520 miles return trip..

2 day events so Hotel bills and Fuel...And the people wonder why the numbers are so low..

These comps favour northern riders..Fact!

P.s the 7 people who have replied to this topic..are Northern...( Midlands and up is northern :P )..I see some kind of pattern.

I read somewhere the centre of Great Britain is actually in Lancashire. So that makes the rounds a good spread. The nearest round to the centre is Shipley. So there 3 north of there and three south. Unfortunateley it's never going to suit everyone and it all comes down to where you live. Me and the wife did 20 years I British championship sidecar trials and every event apart from 1 per year was south for us.

• Like 1

'seven rounds over the course of the year with a pretty even spread up and down the country'

On Average it works out at 260 miles to each comp...520 miles return trip..

2 day events so Hotel bills and Fuel...And the people wonder why the numbers are so low..

These comps favour northern riders..Fact!

P.s the 7 people who have replied to this topic..are Northern...( Midlands and up is northern :P )..I see some kind of pattern.

2 comps in Scotland, 2 in the south of England then 3 dotted around midlands/north England.

I think thats pretty fair, you southern fairy! :P

• Like 1

I guess it all comes down to how 'into the comp scene you are'...

How many people will atttend ALL 7 trials?? 20 at most??

How many will do the odd trial here and there??

I dont know what im trying to say..but what im getting at is, its just a huge loss of money to each and for what return?? Thats how i see it.

I dont mean to sound rude, but its not like there is any beneficial gain to doing all the comps and becoming champion...apart from a title to your name?? Dont get me wrong, im sure thats whats alot of people aim for, and fair play to them, but its a small select amount of people...Year in, year out? Maybe these people would have abit more competition against them if there was more to offer than a title.

I know every looks at diffrently but the way i see it, is for me ( for example ) it would be near 2000 miles in petrol and about 8 days of hotel/b+b costs...= Not cheap! The fun factor of the comps would not outweigh the cost of the whole thing.

Yes, people are alot more dedicated than myself and doing all the rounds wouldnt be a problem...by how many??

This is just my honest opinion from an outsiders point of view..maybe helping giving an insight to how the non-comp riders look at it?

Feel free to bash me :)

Yes you can obviously see the negatives quite easily: time and money!

I know lots of people who ride motorcycle trials nationally on a weekly basis, they have the same costs involved - why do they do it? For the love of their sport. Obviously the numbers doing this in bike trials will be less as there are so many other ways to ride on a regular basis. If you have the competition bug you'll make the effort!

FROM THE SOUTH>>>>>

We ride competition trials because we love it. The different terrains, the people we have met and new people we will meet with the same interest, a nice weekend away with the family, riding natural, riding man made. The boys enjoy riding for the competition side of it, the higher fitness level you need, the variety of sections and terrain they can ride on. The street riders will ride a comp near them if they want to and the comp riders will decide which rounds they will ride or not. We do not always set out to ride all events in the year, we know we can drop 2 rounds if we want to, so could obviously drop the furthest away if we needed to. This year the rounds are spread out as well as they have ever been.

It is a British Championship and that is what the Biketrial Federation is organising and yes if you win you become champion, not sure what else could be offered. I have noticed a lot of the demo riders use their british titles to promote themselves. Of course the boys are very proud to have trained hard all year, ride the comps and become British Champion.

We could slate street riding but actually think if thats what riders enjoy doing then thats ok. A non comp rider will travel to a street ride etc. Not sure how many non comp riders rode at the more southern rounds at Barrow Farm and Hookwoods last year.

PS, there is nothing wrong with being a southerner, Robin Morewood ;)

• Like 1

Like i said before ( i think ) my opinion isnt there to make an argument. Im just voicing the other side of the story.

Also, im not slating natural/comps nor am i being biased to street..I love riding natural and i think alot of street riders would agree..riding natural is great fun, but us sotherners dont really have the same terrain the northern guys have :(

On a plus side..The Street trial in newcastle sounds great.. If its anything like a Uci Man made sections, im sure it will go down a storm!! I think this trial in particular will generate alot of interest..out of curiosity if nothing else!!

FROM THE REAL NORTH.

Being new to the scene with my two boys riding and myself being involved with motorbike trials and enduros for many years, traveling long distances to get there, as Rolls say its for the fun and the weekend away with the family, meeting new people and new venues. The boys compete and come home knackered and happy. Its what we love, if we didnt then we wont. If you start the season with an attitude of why bother then perhaps its not for you. Times are hard (I couldnt afford the two rounds down south this year due to being screwed over by a company but hopefully will next year). We drove a five hour round trip on Holiday to see the Italian BIU round. Its a choice you have to use your hard earned money for what you enjoy. I make the effort to go to these events and organise the Scottish rounds because I get great enjoyment out of it and even if I only get eight riders at some events, its still worth the effort. When I was a lad we chucked as many bikes in the back of a van and chipped in for diesel and camped when we had to, as I earned £30 a week and couldnt afford bikes, vans, diesel and hotels. It is perhaps time we looked at the cheaper options to do what we like doing. (I am that old) It seems a very British attitude of doom and gloom and I can be guilty as anyone but sod them I am living for the memories of life and I have a few that put a smile on my face and intend to have many more.

I guess it whats makes you happy at the end of the day, and to some people, these comps do result in a great level of enjoyment for them..

Personally..for the same money...Id rather book a cheap trip away in Barcelona ( Or..Insert, 'generic riding location here' ) , somewhere warm , for the same cost!