Biketrial Federation 2013 Dates And Events

Some interesting points being raised here. It's always good to hear people's input - perhaps you might all like to come to the meeting next year, or send us some suggestions? All would be gratefully received and considered (Y)

Most points (and points of view) seem to have been covered, and will all be discussed and kept in mind by the Federation when planning and organising these events, so I won’t go into things too much here. I would like to explain the choice of venues and events, however. We try very hard to make sure that there are events that riders from all regions can get to without too much travelling. The dates, venues and formats were decided at the annual meeting after all proposals and suggestions received by the Federation had been discussed at length. The proposals were invited in plenty of time before the meeting and representatives of the clubs working with the Federation were invited and encouraged to attend. All of the proposals that we received were discussed and, in fact, unanimously accepted. The Biketrial Federation is run by volunteers and we need all the support and input we can get for what is an increasingly difficult and thankless task. It’s impossible to please everybody, but we think we’ve managed to decide on a series that offers something for the vast majority of people wanting to compete in the nationals.

We can only run events at venues and events where we have local clubs or organisations to help with the organisation and running of the event. The Crowthorne Club suggested Hook Woods and have agreed to run the event, Radical Bikes suggested their venue and have agreed to run the event in conjunction with the Crowthorne Club, the Scottish Club suggested the Bob McGregor trials park and have agreed to run the event, Fort William is a regular event as part of the UCI World Cup and the Scottish Club have agreed to run that, the Newcastle round is part of a larger event and is being run by Tyke Trial, Bracken Rocks is being run by the Morewoods and me in conjunction with Tyke Trial, and Shipley Glen, the traditional season-ender, was suggested by and will be run by Tyke Trial. We didn’t receive any suggestions or offers of venues or support from any other parties or clubs, so we didn’t have any others to consider. Where else would you like to see rounds held? We would welcome any input or suggestions for future venues.

As Stan pointed out, there are two rounds in the South, one in the Midlands, two in the North and two in Scotland. People have to travel to all of them – the Scottish riders will have to travel to all of the English rounds (and many of them will have to travel to Fort William as well), the Northern riders will have to travel to the Scottish rounds and the Southern rounds and the Southern riders will have to travel to the Northern and Scottish rounds. Granted, there are some parts of the country from which people will have to travel further (Northern Ireland and the Southwest, for example), but it’s impossible to hold the competitions on everyone’s front doorstep, especially when we didn’t receive any venue suggestions of offers of local support for those areas, and looking at the map, the rounds seem pretty evenly spread and don’t seem to favour any one region or area.

We can appreciate that some people may not want/be able to travel to all of the rounds, but that cant be helped and is one reason that we try to spread them out around the country as much as possible to make it fair for everyone (with one round on your doorstep at Barrow Farm Joe, you're luckier than most :) ) and why we drop the two lowest scoring rounds when calculating overall scores, to allow people to miss some if they want/need.

I think Joe has got a valid point with regards to the 2 day rounds. They have instantly put me off as I know I won't be able to afford paying out to stop overnight on all 3, so will probably not bother this year.

There will be onsite camping at two of the four two-day rounds and plenty of local camping (including wild camping which is free and, I believe, legal in Scotland) in Fort William, so hopefully it shouldn't be too pricey.

• Like 1

A non comp rider will travel to a street ride etc. Not sure how many non comp riders rode at the more southern rounds at Barrow Farm and Hookwoods last year.

Presumably because street riding/non-competition riding is accessible and comp riding isn't?

Part of the problem may well be the lack of trials clubs spread around the UK, more clubs would offer more venues and also increase the numbers of people who had tried and enjoyed competitions.You have to appreciate the time and effort the people from the Biketrial Federation put in,its hard work with little reward.

We won't be coming to all trials this year but that is a personnel choice which people have to make those we do attend we will enjoy.

So we should not gripe about there choice of venues as from what has been said they had no other offers, I know if I could find venues I would want to create a local club and get people involved, and that would get more choice for us in the West Country.

Why does it sound stupid mate? Genuinely interested.

less chance of more people winning! at the end of the day the whole fun of these thing is winning or coming in the top 3 putting them together reduces the amount of people winning and coming top 3. And i also think that some sections favor a certain kind of wheel size making putting them together slightly unfair.

less chance of more people winning! at the end of the day the whole fun of these thing is winning or coming in the top 3 putting them together reduces the amount of people winning and coming top 3. And i also think that some sections favor a certain kind of wheel size making putting them together slightly unfair.

I can understand why they have done this, in this years event's some of the categories did not have 3 or more people in them and they obviously want to make it so that those individuals in that situation actually have some competition, it's not as fun if you go out and know you have a medal before you start now is it ;)

At least I believe this is the reason.

• Like 1

I can understand why they have done this, in this years event's some of the categories did not have 3 or more people in them and they obviously want to make it so that those individuals in that situation actually have some competition, it's not as fun if you go out and know you have a medal before you start now is it ;)

At least I believe this is the reason.

Yes your correct. There wasn't enough entries in the 20" class to get a full podium and 11 classes at each event was a bit much.

But there will still be an overall championship at the end of the year for 20" & 26".

When I used to ride freeride I spent a lot of weekends in devon an miltonkeynes. I clocked up 30000 miles on my car in one year.

No problem living on my own . But now i have a mortgage I can't travel like that anymore.

But if some of us pull together and car share some of the comps there's no problem.

And yeah we really do need more local clubs so there can be more comps we can attend

I've just noticed that barrow farm is two days long. Does that mean Radfest will only have one day to have use of all the obstacles?

I might do Barrow Farm and Newcastle. I know brakeless isn't allowed but can you say just have a rear?

I've just noticed that barrow farm is two days long. Does that mean Radfest will only have one day to have use of all the obstacles?

Mick, the landowner from Barrow Farm was at the meeting. He requested that we do a two-day event completely separate to Radfest, which was agreed. So the comp riders will have the whole venue for the full 2 days, presumably Radfest will have the same whenever it is arranged for.

• Like 1

Yes your correct. There wasn't enough entries in the 20" class to get a full podium and 11 classes at each event was a bit much.

But there will still be an overall championship at the end of the year for 20" & 26".

Hi Robin,

If TJ and Aaron are riding in Expert next year and I dont know if Charlie or Adam are moving up but I see Charlies name at Expert at club level, and there is always enough 26" wheel expert then perhaps there may be? If these (regular attending) four are in 20" expert with perhaps some others, then can it be looked at again medal wise as I think that would give these YOUNG 12 to 15 years old lads a good reason to ride all year. Just a medal at the end of the day means alot as has been stated.

I love big bang now and Pink Floyd I was into before you were a bairn. Thank yous are always a great deal when you are thanked for all the hard work. But if you get one then great but it is not why we(I) do it. read other post. What is nice is when somebody lets me say thank you for their help before or during the event. So from me thanks to those who helped with Paperwork and results Pauline and Caron and the Observers through the year. The help with section marking and the best help for me is the section take down and flag sorting at the end of the day. The club is begining to move and get bigger and this years Fort William was a great success apart from the midges and I hope to improve it next year more in the arena and less in the burn. I really want to make Bobs a great event.

Hi Robin,

If TJ and Aaron are riding in Expert next year and I dont know if Charlie or Adam are moving up but I see Charlies name at Expert at club level, and there is always enough 26" wheel expert then perhaps there may be? If these (regular attending) four are in 20" expert with perhaps some others, then can it be looked at again medal wise as I think that would give these YOUNG 12 to 15 years old lads a good reason to ride all year. Just a medal at the end of the day means alot as has been stated.

Problem is Kev that the older Red riders want to be challenged more with some large moves and Adam and Charlie aren't physically big enough, plus red is full UCI rules where cadet is BIU. See how they go over the winter with practice. Adams not 11 until February so if he's already on Red at that age there is not a lot to aim at. The decision at the meeting was to try and toughen up the sections a bit as Red, blue, green have all become a bit easy.