Biketrial Federation 2013 Dates And Events

Problem is Kev that the older Red riders want to be challenged more with some large moves and Adam and Charlie aren't physically big enough, plus red is full UCI rules where cadet is BIU. See how they go over the winter with practice. Adams not 11 until February so if he's already on Red at that age there is not a lot to aim at. The decision at the meeting was to try and toughen up the sections a bit as Red, blue, green have all become a bit easy.

I disagree robin, they haven't become any easier, its just the people riding them have considerably upped their game. I thought hook woods was very hard for green for me, not so much in big stuff, just very technical. but when a 12/13 year old is scoring 10 points or less for the whole 16 sections, then maybe the right decision is to bump them up to the next class instead of altering the course to make it harder for them, and considerably harder for everybody else in that class. I think the danger is that if you make the novice/inter route too hard, people wont enjoy it and therefore wont come. Thats my opinion anyway.

• Like 1

I was Thinking about doing them again this year, but just read that 20-26 inch are being combined.. sound stupid to me so thats another year i wont be riding.
less chance of more people winning! at the end of the day the whole fun of these thing is winning or coming in the top 3 putting them together reduces the amount of people winning and coming top 3. And i also think that some sections favor a certain kind of wheel size making putting them together slightly unfair.
I can understand why they have done this, in this years event's some of the categories did not have 3 or more people in them and they obviously want to make it so that those individuals in that situation actually have some competition, it's not as fun if you go out and know you have a medal before you start now is it ;) At least I believe this is the reason.
Yes your correct. There wasn't enough entries in the 20" class to get a full podium and 11 classes at each event was a bit much.

But there will still be an overall championship at the end of the year for 20" & 26".

Exactly. With such low numbers in Elite 20" this year, with just one or two riders at many rounds, we decided that it would be better to combine the 20" and 26" riders at individual rounds so that there is some competition and we have full podiums at each round. The categories and will be split for championship purposes, however, so there will still be separate overall 20" and 26" podiums and champions. If the 20" entry is similar to this year's, there will in all likelihood only be a few extra riders to compete against, so it shouldn't affect you or put you off that much anyway :)

Hi Robin,

If TJ and Aaron are riding in Expert next year and I dont know if Charlie or Adam are moving up but I see Charlies name at Expert at club level, and there is always enough 26" wheel expert then perhaps there may be? If these (regular attending) four are in 20" expert with perhaps some others, then can it be looked at again medal wise as I think that would give these YOUNG 12 to 15 years old lads a good reason to ride all year. Just a medal at the end of the day means alot as has been stated.

Problem is Kev that the older Red riders want to be challenged more with some large moves and Adam and Charlie aren't physically big enough, plus red is full UCI rules where cadet is BIU. See how they go over the winter with practice. Adams not 11 until February so if he's already on Red at that age there is not a lot to aim at. The decision at the meeting was to try and toughen up the sections a bit as Red, blue, green have all become a bit easy.

As Robin said, after much discussion, it was felt that the difficulty level of the Expert, Cadet, Intermediate and Novice sections had come down and all were becoming a bit too easy. The level will be brought back up in 2013, giving all riders a suitable and fair challenge, as well as more longevity in the sport, rather than obliging them to move up to the class above too early.

I disagree robin, they haven't become any easier, its just the people riding them have considerably upped their game. I thought hook woods was very hard for green for me, not so much in big stuff, just very technical. but when a 12/13 year old is scoring 10 points or less for the whole 16 sections, then maybe the right decision is to bump them up to the next class instead of altering the course to make it harder for them, and considerably harder for everybody else in that class. I think the danger is that if you make the novice/inter route too hard, people wont enjoy it and therefore wont come. Thats my opinion anyway.

The courses are not being altered to take into account certain individual riders, rather, they are being brought back up to the level of difficulty that they should be at and were in the past. The difficulty level of some classes has definitely come down in recent years, which has been acknowledged by a wide range of people, including experienced competition riders, organisers and spectators, and is something we are trying to remedy for 2013. The general consensus on the Hook Woods event, which featured harder sections than previous rounds, was that the sections were all of the right difficulty, for all classes, which made for a much better and more competitive trial, and that it what we will be aiming for next year.

I've just noticed that barrow farm is two days long. Does that mean Radfest will only have one day to have use of all the obstacles?

I might do Barrow Farm and Newcastle. I know brakeless isn't allowed but can you say just have a rear?

Mick, the landowner from Barrow Farm was at the meeting. He requested that we do a two-day event completely separate to Radfest, which was agreed. So the comp riders will have the whole venue for the full 2 days, presumably Radfest will have the same whenever it is arranged for.
Radfest will be a seperate weekend this year to the comp!! 2 diffrent events!! I think this favours both types of rider :)

Yep, after discussion with Radical bikes, riders at RadFest and at the annual meeting it was decided that it was in everyone's interest and in the interest of both events that they be run separately in 2013. This should mean that both events should run even better - the competition sections won't put any areas out of use for the RadFest riders and the competition riders will have the whole venue available to them. It also means that Radical Bikes will benefit from two great weekend events, which can only be good for them too (Y)

I know brakeless isn't allowed but can you say just have a rear?

At the moment our insurance states that bikes must be in full working order, which includes two working brakes. Send us an email to info@biketrialuk.co.uk to make a proper enquiry and we'll look into it for you (Y)

No blackpool?

Would have thought someone would have thought about the moon rocks?

It's the only feasible comp for my travel wise.

Hope tyketrial include it in their calendar...

No Blackpool this year, no. While it is a great venue and one that is popular with riders and spectators, we felt that it would be difficult to set sections that were different enough to this year's and varied enough for all classes and so decided to have a 'year off' from Blackpool. The Shipley Glen and Newcastle events aren't too far from you by comparison, so you may find it easier than you think to get to those rounds. We hope to see you there at any rate :)

Edited by BikeTrial Federation

At the moment our insurance states that bikes must be in full working order, which includes two working brakes. Send us an email to info@biketrialuk.co.uk to make a proper enquiry and we'll look into it for you (Y)

I'll just turn up with two brake's and stop been a nuisance (A)

I do love having the freedom to do any lines I wish but I do miss been forced to ride differently to how I usually would.

Hopefully Newcastle will be fun!

Edited by CalopS

Can you ride the white course at 13 year old? and do you win any prizes? I'm all new to this!
You can ride any course at any age. And yes you do win the odd prize now and again depending on event sponsors.

We actually talked about an upper age limit of 10 years old for the white route, which is really for new and very young riders. Callum, as I mentioned in my email, you should be fine on the green route, especially considering your score on the green route at the last Tyke Trial. You may find it a challenge at national level to begin with, but that's half the fun!

I'll just turn up with two brake's and stop been a nuisance (A)

I do love having the freedom to do any lines I wish but I do miss been forced to ride differently to how I usually would.

Hopefully Newcastle will be fun!

(Y) If you're anything like Ali, when you put your brakes back on you'll have magical powers anyway.

Unlucky that dave, ill see you at bracken as well, I'm not doing all the nationals, can't afford Scotland, or want to be away from my lad for that long. Don't fancy hook woods either to be honest after lasts years debacle (freak mechanical failure on Friday night before I left), Just gonna do radfest, bracken, Shipley and Newcastle. Am doing the full tykes season though

The Shipley Glen and Newcastle events aren't too far from you by comparison, so you may find it easier than you think to get to those rounds. We hope to see you there at any rate :)

I'd love to. but newcastle is £55 train plus hotel.

Is shipley glen feasibly trainable?? I'd don't mind riding some distance, mile or 3 mabye.

Beyond that It's hoping I can get a lift to radfest.

Shipley Glen isn't far from Saltaire train station.

There's a bit of a hill when you go through the woods but it's not bad, and fun on the way down (probably not after a full days riding though).

338165_10150984835291426_962622453_o.jpg

EDIT: Looking on the National rail website from Barrow-in-furness to Saltaire is a over 4 hours with two changes.........

Edited by CalopS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ahh another one to add to the Scottish Invasion see you there wolfman. Hookwoods was just brilliant fun, great venue, well organised and there was no hold ups on the M25 on the way home, back in bed by 11.30pm.

So where do we sign up for the derby round?

• Like 1