Post a pic of your non trials bike

Bucky

What finish are you going for? Polished or painted?

I picked up this Steven Hamilton frame, Odyssey race forks, Odyssey wheel and other bits for £15 earlier, my little nephew wants to get into BMX but has a cheapo Argos style thing one so I figured I'd build him a sturdy starting point on a budget! I just need to find cranks, brakes, rear wheel and I think I have the rest :)

URL]URL]2016-04-03%2018.58.08_zpslvlpmq1p.jpg

I whacked on a 60mm stem to replace the 90 on the On One and it feels so good now, such a whippy little bike! I'm really enjoying singlespeed currently although I haven't taken it to any proper trails yet.... I need to remove the lower roller on the Giant seeing as it has a narrow wide on there now, then sort out some decent tyres and tubeless stuff so it's ready to go again.

963f925e-3bc3-42c9-ab4b-a9c4c4326f4c_zps

I got fed up with tripping over the bikes in the garage so I got some hooks, far tidier!

URL]2016-04-03%2018.58.26_zpsn0luwsrg.jpg

Edited by CurtisRider

That's it finished, I was aiming at replicating the original intense factory raw finish, welding haz, machining and tube forming marks.

Stripped the powder coat off using a combination of dichloromethane stripper and 2pack paint solvent, a quick stainless wire brush over the welds to clean out the last of the staining and a quick and dirty autosol to bring it up again. I'll leave it as is now and let it oxidise back to dull aluminium :)

On 04/04/2016 at 8:03 AM, Tom Booth said:

Were you still using the Strip away stuff Ed?

Yup, theres still some left that I'm going to pass on to my mate who wants to strip an old touring frame :)

This happened, hoping to assemble the bike this afternoon :D

tmp_9980-DSC_0241-762389760.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, forteh said:

It's not evil, it just stings a little when you forget to brush the sticky active goop off your skin :D

I've got a scar on my right elbow from nitromors :D

It is a short wb, the 5.5 is known for being a very steep twitchy frame that you have to keep on top of otherwise you're eating shit. I like it though, similar geometry to the chameleon which I've been riding since 98 so somewhat familiar with the ride.

I dare say compared to some modern gravity sleds it's probably scary in the really fast and steep but nothing at cannock phases it at all and it works as a perfect trail bike :)

I currently have this on loan from Orange until I get something else sorted, its the 2016 Five in medium.

107mmpy.jpg

I rode some of the steepest trails I've ever been on yesterday and the bike was amazing, I've always liked how Fives rode but this one feels even more capable.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Tom Booth said:

Looks awesome Ali, I still love my Five loads. It's a massively capable bike and such a confidence boost knowing that!

Are they 32's on the front? How do the new ones feel? 

They're 34s, They feel pretty good but I'm not too experienced with sus so I couldn't say how they compare against previous/other models but I've no complaints so far.

I'm tempted by a four, the shorter chainstays and smaller rear pivot arc appeals to me but some of my fave trails are ridiculously steep so the slacker head angle of the Five is handy.....I guess I could always get offset bushings and headset though. 

I had a long weekend off work and my friend was also off so we drove up to North Wales for some Mountain Biking. Luckily I also had today off work which I used to sort my kit out and recover because my body is wrecked after not enough MTB and too much road riding.

I have never been to Snowdonia before and have wanted to 'do' Snowdon by bike for years, on Friday I finally got my chance. We went up the Llanberris Path to the summit then descended via the Rangers Path and Telegraph Valley. Rangers Path is without a doubt the most fun descent I have ridden in the UK, if you're a confident trail/DH rider and like technical trail I highly recommend it! At a steady pace pedalling and pushing the unridable sections we got to the top in 1 hour 45 minutes, after spending a bit of time at the top and also having to faff at the bottom of Rangers Path getting a small cut in my rear tyre to seal we were back down at the car 1 hour 15 minutes later. Amazingly my rear tyre continued to hold air the whole weekend, I was close to fitting a tube!

On Saturday we rode the Marin Trail at Betws-y-Coed and both loops at Penmachno. Yesterday we rode The Beast at Coed-y-Brenin in beautiful sunny weather before the long drive home. We wild camped for 3 nights, washed in rivers, were soaking wet at times, freezing cold at others and had to dry our clothes using the car heaters between riding/camping spots but all in all it was a fantastic trip.

Campsite 1 behind a boulder at the side of the road into Llanberis, we arrived at 1am on Friday morning and had to setup in heavy rain:

12923235_10154130499943896_5171342639710879208_n.jpg

Campsite 2 was boring and just at the side of a trail centre car park but campsite 3 at the side of the road near Llan Ffestiniog was stunning! Temperatures dropped to about -5 overnight and the tent was frozen in the morning but luckily I had a good quality sleeping bag and thermarest to keep me toasty:

12963833_10154136841183896_1900967066325284506_n.jpg

And seeing as this is a bike pictures thread here is a bad shot of me and my bike at the top of a cold cloudy Snowdon on Friday. It seemed impossible to get a photo without other people in the background and we were really cold so didn't hang around to get a better photo!

12928398_10154131263018896_8861801445563252375_n.jpg

• Like 3

What did you think to Penmachno Tic? I loved it and thought for a days riding it was perfect, plenty of pit stops for a chance to graze and some stunning views. I kinda wish I had ridden it with someone other then Jenny so we could've pushed a bit harder but enjoyed it all the same!

The Marin Trail at Betsw-y-Coed had a fun descent at the end but way too much fireroad for my liking. It snowed and we got soaked which didn't really help make the trail enjoyable though haha!

Penmachno was good but very wet with puddles and streams littering the trails. Loop 1 wasn't as wet as the Loop 2 extension. The final descent was good fun. Because we were already soaked from the morning we were freezing cold for most of the ride! I expect in the summer it's much drier and would be a totally different experience.

Coed-y-Brenin was my favourite trail centre of the weekend for sure. The weather was nice to us and The Beast was awesome, the trail is well thought out with a balance of singletrack, fireroad and fun flowy descents.

Sounds great, I'm looking forward to it :)

Hopefully the weather will hold out, I'm really not a huge fan of riding in rain and snow.

I went to Bike Park Wales last month and we got caught in torrential rain and hail storms, that was not fun at all. Especially as I have entirely the wrong kit for that kind of weather.