Post a pic of your non trials bike

Bucky

I bought a DH bike a few weeks back (Lapierre DH727) after riding a friend's one through an easy blue route and over some jumps and finding it easier and more fun to ride than my lighter, shorter travel Zesty. Since then we've been to a few trail places in the south (mainly Stoughton Downhill) and had great fun. Mainly I bought it for my yearly (but hopefully soon more frequent) fortnights in Morzine/Les Gets, but I'm already finding plenty of fun stuff to ride in the UK, and that's before going to Wales, Scotland etc. Only thing I would say is that given the choice between owning only the Zesty or only the DH727, the DH bike would get the chop...

I can't speak for the GT Fury but the Lapierre certainly isn't like the stumpy, heavy DH bikes of old - I know this because I have an ATX-1 in the shed and just helped prep an old Sunn (which a mate is bringing to France, going to be interesting to do a run or two on that, given that Nico Vouilloz had input on both that and my Lapierre)...

dh-1.jpg.bd4b7e0d4f0be0d70721c4eb3319a00e.jpg

dh-2.jpg.17270aaa6f95bb897f30a8d6523bb814.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/06/2016 at 6:28 PM, japslap said:

1997 cannondale f500 in Dodge Viper red, modernised (where appropriate), barn (actually a garage) find, been working on this since I got it around 2009, finished most of it, upgraded headshok cartridge with an oil damped unit with a lockout, most recent was the middleburn cranks and Isis bottom bracket.  The avid black ops levers and xtr v brakes have some of best modulation I've came across, still a few tweeks to make, seat post (thinking Thompson) and seat, not too shabby for a 19 year old bike, no bubbling under the paint as with most dales I've seen from this kind of vintage, still puts a smile on my face riding it :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've made a few changes....

IMG_0367.JPG

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Norco Range, i love it. been a long time since i had this much fun on a bike, was a difficult decision to sell my trials bikes all together but at the end of the day, it wasnt fun anymore. 

Got my beady eye on a 26 hard tail street/park bike now. not sure what yet though.. any suggestions?

Screen_Shot_2017-10-19_at_09_24_04.png

• Like 2

For no real reason other than "maybe" I've hung onto the old Flow Karma frame I had years ago. Every now and then I consider throwing some spares on it and building a little dirt/street toy from it, but haven't gotten around to it. It was one of my first "small" MTB frame for trials use (with the exception of one of those Baracuda Subway/other generic catalogue brands that everyone had at one point or other), would be good to see if back in action. Perhaps I'll dust off the cobwebs

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davetrials said:

Im not sure what to go for, saracen make decent looking ones, ive had a look at the NSbikes to, i want something super small and low

The YT "Dirt Love" looks good, but they've sold out and I'm yet to hear of them releasing a new version. Likewise the Canyon Stiched 180 and 360 models.

Red. Jump/4x type frame really, and essentially an alu version of their Moe frame. I've only ever seen one other Karma in the wild but not sure if that's because they didn't sell many (I picked it up second hand but unused for £62 in ~2003) or because most folk went with the Moe. Was a lovely bike to ride IIRC, though I'm sure rose tinted specs play a part.

Looked something like this, which is one of the only photos I can find of one online, and I'm too lazy to go to the garage:

IMG_7554.JPG

Except I ran mine on the most part with classic early 2000s spec; Halo rims, 3-piece crank, cheap singlespeed kit from Billys.co.uk/woollyhatshop/similar, V8s, MXComps, Mono Mini/Mono M4 brakes etc etc

• Like 1

On 16/10/2017 at 6:18 AM, Ross McArthur said:

What do you make of the pull shock? I see they've reverted back to a normal compression type now..

It's my first full susser, so honestly I have nothing to compare it to.

From my £500 Cube hardtail it feels amazing, but compared to other setups, I couldn't tell you.

I also don't go massive, so probably nowhere near using it to its potential. The bike was RRP £3200, I got it for £1600 and it's done me well for over a year so no complaints :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Red. Jump/4x type frame really, and essentially an alu version of their Moe frame. I've only ever seen one other Karma in the wild but not sure if that's because they didn't sell many (I picked it up second hand but unused for £62 in ~2003) or because most folk went with the Moe. Was a lovely bike to ride IIRC, though I'm sure rose tinted specs play a part.

Looked something like this, which is one of the only photos I can find of one online, and I'm too lazy to go to the garage:

IMG_7554.JPG

Except I ran mine on the most part with classic early 2000s spec; Halo rims, 3-piece crank, cheap singlespeed kit from Billys.co.uk/woollyhatshop/similar, V8s, MXComps, Mono Mini/Mono M4 brakes etc etc

Nice. I've spent a bit of time looking around at "jump" frames and really liking the look of the Flow frames. Excited to get mine soon. Want it to look like I've pulled it from the back of the shed once it's built :) should be a light build! 

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much sacked off trials completely (Moto and bicycle) a while back and ended up getting this.

I cracked the swingarm about a month after getting it, then it was away for a month being sorted on warranty. Since getting it back the shock has somehow got a load of oil in the air chamber and needs sending off, plus it's suspiciously creaking despite being stripped and thoroughly greased.

Despite all of that, I absolutely love riding it (when it works) and it has got me to places I never thought I'd be. 

IMG_20171102_135903_1.jpg

Edited by onzatpro09
  • Like 1