Post a pic of your non trials bike

Bucky

1 hour ago, Ross McArthur said:

110 to 140 fork has transformed the bike! Loving it.

My intense is massively overforked as well, originally intended for a maximum length of 140mm, for 170mm xfusion vengeance wound down to 160mm. The +20mm makes it very easy to loft manuals and slackens the head angle out from 70° to a slightly less twitchy 66.5° :)

Still got a wheelbase like a bmx though :D

Ought to give it a clean and get some new photos.

• Like 1

I've got the firm spring in the fork, I'm right on the bottom range of the recommended weights for that spring rate but it gives great support and means I can back off the compression damping a little.  Sits high in the travel but is still supple as anything and will controllably swallow up big hits, it's effectively a fox van36 rc2 but a third of the price!

I've always struggled with the intense to loft manuals up to the balance point, the rear suspension would just absorb all the rearward weight transfer and drop the front end. I've been playing with the compression damping on the ccdba, increased high speed and reduced low speed a little and it now pops up like a hardtail unless I catch it badly.

Just swapped my old sunline v1am 65x0° and 40 rise easton monkeylite dh for a renthal duo 50x10° and 20 rise easton haven carbon, the bar is now much closer and interestingly enough a little higher that it was.  Not tested it out yet but I might be looping it out on manuals now :D

• Like 1

I swapped to a tiiiiiny stem last year, little ragley 0* 30mm or something and it made the orange feel really perky an nimble.

Sucked on the climbs as when your really cranking all it wants to do is pop but it's outweighed massively when you point it downhill.

• Like 2

On 27/02/2018 at 8:35 AM, Tom Booth said:

I swapped to a tiiiiiny stem last year, little ragley 0* 30mm or something and it made the orange feel really perky an nimble.

Sucked on the climbs as when your really cranking all it wants to do is pop but it's outweighed massively when you point it downhill.

Same with mine, that's why i went from 70 to 50mm. Point it down now and it's amazing. Climbs shit though, although that maybe down to having 19st on board

With the length of the intense, I don't think that climbing is ever going to be an issue. It's so short you can always get your weight over the bars just by sliding onto the nose of the saddle.

I reckon that the current trend of long, low, slack is just a fad and bikes are going to get short again :D

• Like 1

I'm a bit out of the scene, I bought a cheap bike with the nastiest frame in the world purely for the forks (Revelation 150mm air jobbies) last night and it happened to have some other alright parts on (hope/mavic wheels, shimano cranks/pedals, narrow wide ring, elixir front brake, funn bars and kore stem): 

2018-03-06%2021.08.09_zpsasylofep.jpg

It has Saint pedals and SLX cranks , are they better than my seemingly older but perfectly serviceable XT cranks and nanotech pedals? Nothing wrong with my current setup but I may as well fit the best stuff and flog the rest :) 

2018-03-07%2009.44.56_zpsi05hh8rd.jpg

2018-03-07%2009.45.05_zpsfqpmfkaz.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Hardly a difference really. At least the SLXs aren't rubbed as much.

Personally im not a fan of the Saint pedals. The Novatech ones look more my bag.

I'd always go for a NW over a standard chain ring. Not only because of the claimed "you wont drop a chain bullshit" but because they just feel stronger as more ring is in contact with the chain.

Cheers Ross, I might just sell the SLX ones as they will be worth more due to their condition, I don't massively care how my bike looks these days as otherwise I'll be too precious about it. I've already got a narrow wide on my bike so I'll chuck this one on my girlfriends bike :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

Trials is for life, not just for Christmas.

What are you talking about. I love street trial riding a lot but at my new home there are only curbs and mountains so there's nowhere I can actually ride. That's why I got the Canyon in the first place. I'll get a dirtjumper sooner or later though.