hand blisters!

ashleys sugden

They are irritating me quite badly now, i wear gloves all the time and they still get bigger and hurt when riding, does anyone know of any really soft grips? if if anyone knows of any creams i could use to treat them etc... or any gloves? could really use some suggestions guys, thanks.

i always wear gloves and always have done. the gloves i wear at the moment are a good fit, and the grips are quite hard. i've tried trialtech foams a go on my old mod, i couldn't ride them in gloves very well.. i might have to try them again. i run odi's on my bmx, they are awesome on a bmx, but i couldn't use them on a trials bike for some reason :/

I use hard superstar grips and sixsixone gloves, the gloves help and your hands will get harder over time so MTFO for a while. :D

I use hard superstar grips and sixsixone gloves, the gloves help and your hands will get harder over time so MTFU for a while. :D

• 3 weeks later...

A question to the orignial poster: Do you get blisters on both hands the same, or mainly the one operating the rear brake? And what brake are you using?

Since I got my Maugra HS33 2011 rear brake I get very bad blisters on my right hand (which in my case is the hand that operates the rear brake) no matter how hard I try to MTFU. So I think the 2011 lever design is a pile of shit not as ergonomic as previous models. And it's also a pile of shit.

Edited by Scoox
  • Like 1

I mean the kind of blister that breaks off and bleeds and hurts like sh*t. The kind of blister that tells you it's time to call it a day.

Use to get them when I started out riding , friends that do parkour get them too. Judging from your post count you might be new to trials? If so that should go away as your skin hardens and gets used to it.

I ride with Fox DirtPaw gloves and Clarks lock on grips which I love (much to certain people's tastes) at the end of the day... Find something that feels right to you!

I must admit though, as previously said, gloves are not your friend in the summer as you have bronzed arms and white hands! Looks silly :)

Edited by AkuskaUK

i use a Stanley knife to cut of the callous when they get to big(you could also use sandpaper and grind them away)...When they get to a certain size the skin above seems to rip/crack and as a result bleeding/annoying wound occurs(at least it does for me.).

if u ride every day then by 5 days time you should start to get hard skin callous's'esses (plural :P) . u do need to give it a little brake if they are bleeding as if they fall off then you havto rebuild the callous again. try to get it to just before it splits, cracks, bleeds. then take a brake for a hour or so, then go back, if it isn't sorted, wait longer, u need to keep the callous! not chop it off lol, defeats the whole point in what ur bodys doing for you. (if you play guitar, callous's'esseszesses.. are common. and very useful!)

Bit of man up + bit of common sense IMO :) and in a few days ull have hard ones that don't hurt, or split, and u can stick pins in them and feel nothing :) - After that ull never have any pain from ur grips again.

yes leave a little hard skin back, but the thicker the layer the eaiser the skin around/above will split..And no its not a joke i do cut mine off, been during it for 20+ years due to bmx,mtb,mx...

Keep the hard skin soft with moistrizers ect....

And if you don't have hard skin use chamois cream on your soft skin to stop blisters

Keep the hard skin soft with moistrizers ect....

And if you don't have hard skin use chamois cream on your soft skin to stop blisters

• 2 months later...

f**k!

I got a flapper on my right hand yesterday. For me this is the biggest problem when riding, I go out, get a flapper and then I have to stop riding for days till it sort of heals.

Back in the day when I started riding trials I got some bad flappers but I must have done something right because after a while I got nice hard calluses and then I could ride regularly without any issues. Now I get a flapper every two rides. If I resume my riding too soon, it's painful and I usually cause more damage, but if I wait too long then the skin softens and I get a new flapper. Based on the advice in this thread, where many of you trials wizards recommended to HTFU, I think the key to this is to perhaps resume riding after 4-5 days i.e not too soon and not too late. It is going to hurt but it will also stimulate skin hardening. Maybe. That's my theory. How do you guys do it?

Yesterday I thought about this for a while and came to the conclusion that the following may also be relevant:

• Hands too wet (sweaty) due to hot&humid climate: I will try rubbing my hands in talcum powder like climbers and gymnasts do.
  • Brake lever blade too far: I don't like my levers to close to the bars although it seems like it might feel comfier.
  • Angle of handlebars not optimal: At the moment they are moderately turned forward, which seems to result in the middle finger doing very little work. Something is wrong here.
  • Grip diameter too small for my hand size: my hands are bigger than most people e.g. I have no problems grabbing a basketball with one hand, so I might try thicker grips.

Any other ideas?