24" vs 26" debate

Jake.

I rode echo 24" the majority of last year, then I gave stock a blast. So far I'm finding that stock is easier to tap and gap on, and it's better for natural riding. 24" was easier for sidehops, rear wheel control and just a bit more like a mod to play on in general.

What do you guys think?

I rode the first echo 24 from when it came out til the following november and it was great, ran a stock stem so it was a bit more stock like to ride, but it was great, really flicky, easier to control and generally better for moves that would favour a mod

Hav rode stock for a year now also, but id say stock is much more all round, you have to get used to it being bigger and harder to move around but that doesnt take long, its much better all round and good for rolling moves

If i were to choose again, it would be 26 for sure

It also depends what stock it is too (Y)

I love my stock and can't see me riding anything else. When I moved to stock I was riding an 05 Pitbull short (1070 WB :o) with a 90x10 stem.... It was actually quite flicky and such but far too short for me so I didn't really "love" it like I should

When I got my Neon however, holy improvement!
It's incredible for rolling moves, And it feels natural for when I land drop gaps and tings, Where on my ZOO! I'd tense up before landing (Y)

How could a 26" be better for gaps that a 24"? Just curious.

If I look at my riding, everytime I try a 26" I feel that they are toooo big for me and I can't really move them around as I want. Which makes gaps harder than on my mod. Which results in that I'm able to gap waaaay longer on my mod than on any 26" I've tried...

How could a 26" be better for gaps that a 24"? Just curious.

They build up momentum quickly, you may find it hard if you don't have a lot of power behind your gaps and kicks. but if you really heave the pedals then they tend to fly a lot further than a mod does.

• Like 1

They build up momentum quickly, you may find it hard if you don't have a lot of power behind your gaps and kicks. but if you really heave the pedals then they tend to fly a lot further than a mod does.

This is exactly it, if you properly throw your weight into the gaps and push the power down it makes a difference. Plus I'm sure the wheels go further in a full turn of the crank so that'll make a difference too.

But for riders who are new(ish) to the sport and aren't fully used to gaps and such then they may not be able to tell the difference as much, but having said that I know guys who can gap further on mod than stock. It's probably because they're more used to mod though.

That was the sort of explanation I was looking for, thanks :)

But I guess that the reason why I can't gap it far is because I'm not used to it:)

Yeah this topic is great for someone who just built up a 24". Finding out you've built something which is inferior in the fields you find most important is fantastic, really.

The difference is negligable. If at all.

I massively prefered my 24 to any of the 26s Ive ridden. Theyre long, so the do gap well, side well and generally make big riding easier. Flicky, roll like a stock, gap like one but are just that bit lighter and easier to throw around. Certainly more fun than a stock, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I'd say shorter people don't generally get on well with 26's

I have to agree with this, I've only just become the right sorta size for a stock I think.

I went through the 24 stage when I was in between mod and stock, mod felt too small and stock top big.

I've just moved from stock to a 24", got to say I lm glad I got it! Feels way lighter on the back wheel and its roughly the same weight, find that I can gap further on this bike and side hop, but I can't tap as big.

I've not ride any natural yet though.

I'm 5,25" and ride stock. Don't wanna change for nothing. Seriously, hate people who said that stocks are for tall people and vice versa.

You said ?

buy a mega long bike with super high BB. And this seems that it's pretty closer to that I want. The other think is that I'm quite short and and long 26 bikes fits me horrible...

You must realy hate yourself