slacklining

arw_86

I've randomly decide that getting a slackline would be an awesome combination of fun/core strength/balance/focus. Looked on ebay and amazon and found some cheap ones for around £30, but then I have read that ratchet systems are dangerous. So looked into the 4/5 carabiner systems, which I prefer the look of, but cost adds up.

Does anyone do slacklining and can recommend systems/makes/tips etc etc.

I can just imagine myself heading out to a park in the summer with a mate, few beers and messing about on the slackline all day in the sun!

lil vid of some more pro slackliners for those in the dark on this... Just noticed these are using a ratchet system and this is the world cup final!? Hmmm, seen alot of bad press on ratchets

Decent ratchets are good, such as those made by Gibbon. Cheapo ones, alas, are not. I've always used the carabiner solution, and although it can be a little tricky to get set up, has never failed on me. Carabiners can be had quite cheaply, look at the DMM prowires, the cometic seconds fo these can be had for about £3 each!

I had a guy do some work experience who brought one of these along a few of the days he was here. It is insanely hard to get the initial grips of, but great fun! The point is, though, that I don't know anything else about his than it was about £50 and was a ratchet system one. He was decent enough to be doing flips and whatnot, and had had it for years, so I'd personally trust something in that price range for the ease of use that I imagine ratchets give over carabiners.

Lots of imagination and speculation in that post though...

cheers dude, after a bit of research I have gone for a gibbon (as recommended by krazykid) classic, which uses a ratchet system but seems to be of a higher quality so seems trustworthy. Cant wait to try it, and to give my core and stabilisers a good workout. I want to be good at it, but I think I will be pretty shite.

The name Gibbon rings a bell in terms of what his could have been, but again that's merely speculation! When he mentioned he'd brought one in I thought it'd be pretty easy as a trials rider of sorts to at least balance on the thing - it took a while just to get that down let alone walking from one end to the other...

Now you've made me want to buy one :(

• Like 1

Gibbon are good lines so don't worry. And your assumption about core,balance and focus is also right - some of the top climbers and boulderers in the world slackline ALOT:

just to whet your appetite ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8v4_4eJaz4

Videos of those comps make me proper angry for some reason. I don't get why they don't put it high enough so that they can't touch the ground when doing cerrazy insanse stuntz. It just makes no sense to me that touching down on a regular basis is considered fine and the norm. It's like doing a world trials event where it doesn't matter if you put your foot down 20 times in a section so long as it's only for a split second... I just don't get it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Tricking is a cool way to show off to your friends

longline/highlines are a cool way to show off to your self

i started tricking and soon got bored of it -

Longlines are where its at -Its like meditation in movement yoga slacking is fantastic -but im a hippy i'd say that :P

Edited by Dave Anscombe
  • Like 1