Online Magazine - "Video Friends"

Mark W

We had a load of extra photos from the "Video Friends" trip, so we decided to try something a little different. There's an online flipbook/magazine type thing you can check out over on our website here.

I haven't really done anything like this before so any feedback would be cool, thanks!

As a little sample to show what it's like...

901457_578331765523969_1678268468_o.jpg

• Like 5

The specific reason I didn't was that I thought photos of the moves would lessen the impact of the lines on video, whereas the photos (and to an extent the text in there) should still be able to stand up on their own even if the lines have already been shown in a video. Thanks for the feedback though (Y)

I really liked this, only got round to finishing flicking through it today having started the other day. My only (extremely minor) quibble (so ignore it) was that the Vimeo button was pixellated to shit :P

That's probably something to do with fullscreening on 27" of awesome though.

Yeah, something about that kept going wrong. The original image I used was fine, but InDesign and/or Issuu decided to mess it around. Kinda frustrating, but that was one of the very first things I tried learning to do on InDesign so not too surprising it didn't work out that well :P

Glad you liked it though dude, thanks!

The mag looks cool, all the pictures are lovely and the graphic design is nice and neat considering it's not your chosen discipline so to speak.

What format did you use when you placed the Vimeo logo in to ID? Ideally you want to be using a vector file then you won't get any pixelation issues. You can download Vimeo vector giles here: http://www.vimeo.com/about/press - An EPS will see you right.

Also export options are very important in ID to make sure things come out how you'd hope. As your mag is online a lot of the export options won't be relevant as their for printing purposes, so you want to check colour conversion so that it stays RGB to help the images look as good as they can on screen.

Issuu seems to be pretty good when uploading, it doesn't seem to downsample things too badly so it shouldn't have done that to the logo. I use it for a similar application to this. There's an off chance it's a missing link in ID. Check the document and see if the little light in the bottom left is red or green. If it's red perhaps ID can't find the Vimeo logo to link to if you've moved it or it's no saved on your HD. A good practice when designing a publication is to have a single folder with all your linked images in. You can always place them in InDesign then edit and re-save and they'll automatically update.

Look forward to seeing some future issues.

Edited by Matthew62

Haha, in all honesty I was sort of dreading your reply as I knew the design wasn't amazing :P Thanks for being gentle though, haha. If you've got any sort of constructive criticism for it I'd gratefully take it on board though! I'd like to learn to do things like this better, so if you've got any tips that'd be cool. I don't necessarily mean a Graphic Design 101 thing as I don't want to kill too much of your time, but any little pointers would be cool. No worries if not :)

I have a feeling that the Vimeo button I made was a jpg as I sort of butchered it together (like most bits of it) in Photoshop. The links thing all seemed to be working fine. I actually used InDesign for a day when I was in uni, so that was one of the very few things I remembered about it, haha. I hadn't realised Vimeo had all those downloads - wish I'd known before as it would've saved me some hassle! Still, not the end of the world I guess.

The only thing I found Issuu did was the hyperlink boxes it places around objects seem to be a little freestyle. The frames for everything were spot on, yet on Issuu they seem to add a little extra around each of them, sometimes in a kind of weird way (e.g. moving the link edges up and left of the object for some reason). Can't really complain too much though as Issuu seemed to do almost everything else I wanted it to do. I initially tried making the Contents page work so that if you clicked the text links it'd take you to the page, and the PDF I originally created worked fine with that, but Issuu doesn't seem to support that without you having to add them in after you've uploaded the file. It involved a load of fairly obtrusive blue boxes appearing so I sacked it off in the end...

Good call about the folder thing too. I sooort of did that (with a couple of small exceptions that were just me saving to the wrong location), but I kind of messed it up by putting a load of extra files in there that I didn't need to which made it a bit more ballache than required. I feel quite a lot more confident doing it now though - the 'Camera Club' bit was something I added in pretty late on and that came together fairly quickly/painlessly, so I'm hoping in the future it'll be a more streamlined process without having to re-learn everything all the time though.

Thanks again for your feedback though, really appreciate it (Y)

Really like that- very slick and professional looking but then I don't expect anything less from you boys!!

Edit: One thing that would be cool to see in a future edition would be a bike check for the various rides maybe with some comments from the boys about the choices of components etc. Anyway, awesome work :)

• Like 2

Haha, in all honesty I was sort of dreading your reply as I knew the design wasn't amazing :P Thanks for being gentle though, haha. If you've got any sort of constructive criticism for it I'd gratefully take it on board though! I'd like to learn to do things like this better, so if you've got any tips that'd be cool. I don't necessarily mean a Graphic Design 101 thing as I don't want to kill too much of your time, but any little pointers would be cool. No worries if not :)

I have a feeling that the Vimeo button I made was a jpg as I sort of butchered it together (like most bits of it) in Photoshop. The links thing all seemed to be working fine. I actually used InDesign for a day when I was in uni, so that was one of the very few things I remembered about it, haha. I hadn't realised Vimeo had all those downloads - wish I'd known before as it would've saved me some hassle! Still, not the end of the world I guess.

The only thing I found Issuu did was the hyperlink boxes it places around objects seem to be a little freestyle. The frames for everything were spot on, yet on Issuu they seem to add a little extra around each of them, sometimes in a kind of weird way (e.g. moving the link edges up and left of the object for some reason). Can't really complain too much though as Issuu seemed to do almost everything else I wanted it to do. I initially tried making the Contents page work so that if you clicked the text links it'd take you to the page, and the PDF I originally created worked fine with that, but Issuu doesn't seem to support that without you having to add them in after you've uploaded the file. It involved a load of fairly obtrusive blue boxes appearing so I sacked it off in the end...

Good call about the folder thing too. I sooort of did that (with a couple of small exceptions that were just me saving to the wrong location), but I kind of messed it up by putting a load of extra files in there that I didn't need to which made it a bit more ballache than required. I feel quite a lot more confident doing it now though - the 'Camera Club' bit was something I added in pretty late on and that came together fairly quickly/painlessly, so I'm hoping in the future it'll be a more streamlined process without having to re-learn everything all the time though.

Thanks again for your feedback though, really appreciate it (Y)

Haha - no need to dread, it's great to see things like this. You appear to be one of a very few who actually cares about their content in a creative sense.

I'll elaborate via PM and keep all the boring/technical stuff in there so the thread doesn't get clogged up.

When you say you put frames on things, then Issuu messed them up.... did you originally put frames in via InDesign? Also the page linking via contents page, had you originally done this with InDesign as well? If so did you make an Interactive PDF when you exported? The reason I ask is I'm so used to producing for print that I'm not so up to speed with the digital versions and what you can and can't do via ID. I'm intrigued to know more about this.

Will you be doing more of these in future? If so will they always be under TartyBikes or will there be some from Clean to? (You'll see why in the PM). I think there's a lot of scope to do some awesome work and it's definitely something I'd like to see more of.

Really like that- very slick and professional looking but then I don't expect anything less from you boys!!

Edit: One thing that would be cool to see in a future edition would be a bike check for the various rides maybe with some comments from the boys about the choices of components etc. Anyway, awesome work :)

Cheers Dave! I was actually thinking about the bike check side of things when I was there, but with Ali running a lot of proto stuff, Joe about to have a brand new setup and Stan running some 'under wraps' proto stuff it made it tricky. I sort of only really considered it in London, by which point Bessell was just riding a standard build Hex so I didn't know how interested people would really be in it. Definitely something to consider in future though (Y)

Please do more of these, it was great!

We hope too! Thanks :)

Haha - no need to dread, it's great to see things like this. You appear to be one of a very few who actually cares about their content in a creative sense.

I'll elaborate via PM and keep all the boring/technical stuff in there so the thread doesn't get clogged up.

When you say you put frames on things, then Issuu messed them up.... did you originally put frames in via InDesign? Also the page linking via contents page, had you originally done this with InDesign as well? If so did you make an Interactive PDF when you exported? The reason I ask is I'm so used to producing for print that I'm not so up to speed with the digital versions and what you can and can't do via ID. I'm intrigued to know more about this.

Will you be doing more of these in future? If so will they always be under TartyBikes or will there be some from Clean to? (You'll see why in the PM). I think there's a lot of scope to do some awesome work and it's definitely something I'd like to see more of.

Thanks Matt! I'll keep an eye out for the PM.

The frames were ones I'd placed in InDesign, but then when I uploaded them Issuu seemed to 'read' them a little differently, or at least convert them to their format which altered the shape. They were made without any kind of border in InDesign but then Issuu adds their own border to any hyperlinks which makes it show up in a weird way. It's not the end of the world though really. With the page linking, I created an interactive PDF when I exported it, so on my computer it functioned fine. However, when I uploaded it to Issuu it doesn't read internal linking like that (if that makes sense). You can set it up via the 'edit' feature on Issuu itself, although this leads to the same problem of creating a big blue hyperlink area wherever you put it which made the Contents page look pretty shit if you hover the cursor anywhere near it. With the little viewer at the bottom it seemed to not really be too bad to navigate to specific pages anyway so I didn't think it'd be too much of a loss, although it would've been nice to exploit the advantages of an online 'book' in this form. If you created specific buttons for it on InDesign I reckon you could make it look OK, but I'd done all the Contents text just as text, so it meant that the blue highlighting swamped the text a bit and made it harder to read.

I hope to do some more of these in future though, but we'll have to see how it goes really. This was all content generated from one full day and two half days of riding, so it seems like it should be feasible to do it again really. With the ideas people have given us for producing different features for it it seems like it'd be possible to do it in a more focused way too. This was a little freestyle as I didn't really have any idea about what I was doing and what would/wouldn't work, so the feedback's been handy!

I've been trying to get someone to design a new Clean site for me for a while but it's sort of ground to a halt really. With the new format I wanted to go for (it'd be a really simple Wordpress setup, but I don't really know enough about web design to set it all up myself how I'd want it to be) using things like Issuu to put content on there might be cool, plus ultimately I think I'd like to do a print version (through Clean and also as a separate TartyBikes thing too), so having a properly made PDF would probably be useful for getting that made up.

Thanks again for the help though, and I'll check back for the PM too (Y)