FamilyBiker

what does the letter represent?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shore_durometer

i think thats helpful,i did read it and cannot reflect it in here lol

ithink its different measuring scales to determine the properties

edit:wow this ones understandable!

hardnessScale.jpg

Edited by FamilyBiker

looking at this chart,80 to 93 are the winners for brake pads in general,with 85/maybe 90 beeing on top,as its mixing most of the properties.

i.e.sticky like rubber would be,shear resistant like pu,wear resistant like plastics

just a thought

Edited by FamilyBiker

That's what I thought, the harder the compound the longer it takes to wear down which means it'll be good on a grind.

wouldnt say that in general,the pads i run atm(god knows what the compound is,red/brown/violetish),are soft like rubber,grab on a grind like hell and show no signs of wear after 2 sessions.

had hardish pads before that barely survived a session,so its not that easy.

prototyping isnt avoidable i´m afraid

hard enough so it doesn't rip out the backings but soft enough so it grips.

exactly.

i think i´going on a little ride now,concentration aimed on how the pads react and how i wish them to.

asked the guy i have them from for the durometer/material per mail,hopefully he can give me the info...

• Like 1

definitely,once the right compound is found i´m going to save up to 40 euros per annum on pad refills,thats worth some investigation.

but maybe we should agree who´s testing wich durometer and stuff,double testing the same would bring no new results imo.

i´ll go for 80 if possible,i like the softness of the pads i use right now

Edited by FamilyBiker

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-X-12-URETHANE-POLYURETHANE-BAR-90A-BLUE-/370020420302?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5626ef8ace

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-3-X-12-URETHANE-POLYURETHANE-90-DARK-BLUE-/170566963540?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b6955154

lucky i´m on ebay right now haha

edit:damn,only 80 and 90 available.

if there just was a colour code or something,i could figure out wich durometer those are...

post-30389-0-59717400-1369069061_thumb.j

Edited by FamilyBiker

does that fluid stuff turn into the certain shore hardness pu?

bt that pics stolen from otn,unfortunately i havent got any pu yet.

building a mold wouldnt be a big problem,we´ve got a cnc company round the corner at work,they could make it for me.

if i only knew it works with that 2k stuff,that would be a treat to use

okay then,i ordered some 80 a resin liquid and 100g of heat supressing filler,now its getting serious!

the only thing is i got to build a mould now,didnt think starting off with liquid stuff at first.

so far i only experimented with the chocolate compound shown here:

post-30389-0-40845300-1369493185_thumb.j

the problem was,this stuff tasted so good that i ate it all,before my rim had the chance to...

:wink2:

edit:sorry,for those who are interested in pad diy,like bing and mrstix,i found out i can vary the durometer by adding filler and changing the resin/hardener ratio(thanks to rob leech for the tip) from 80a - 95a,so one could just get that stuff as a basic to start mixing from,with like pigments and stuff,too then.

its the stuff led diodes are moulded together etc.

this will be awesome!

Edited by FamilyBiker