Magura slave pistons permanently stuck out.

Jake.

Bought some 04s off eBay, rear brake lever was loose and I checked the slaves and the pistons were stuck out, can't force them in with all the effort in the world.

Couple of pictures if it helps.

20130528_032741_zpsa8bb8d36.jpg20130528_032725_zps1cf14ef1.jpg

Any idea what to do? Plus I think the brakes were bled with cooking oil or something, seemed very greasy and yellow when I tried to bath bleed it. Didn't work.

You need to flush the whole system out with isopropyl alcohol, or something like that that has a degreaser and cleaning effect. There is probably loads of sludgy shit behind the piston if they were bled with oil and now you've tried to bath bleed it. It'll be a bit messy like but should sort it out

• Like 1

Bleed it first with a syringe and something like pure screen wash, it might help to clear it. Get that yellow stuff out first and then maybe the pistons will start to show life.

Yeah, what he said. Choose a chemical you know won't destroy any internals though.

Edited by Revolver

Ipa is safe to use, it's widely used in the printing industry as a cleaner and water balancing agent. In machines which use rubber rollers to transfer the ink from roller to plate.

I paid £37.50 for the pair posted, thanks for the replies people. I'm going to take the whole thing apart and try clear the hoses.

Dunno if the slaves are salvageable, might have to try the soak in wd40 overnight tip. Does that mean I have to essentially use a whole can of wd40 or is it just a heavy spray and leave them to dry?

I may have to try source a compressor to blast the shit outta the tubes, I have a track pump but how would I fit it to the maguras?

I paid £37.50 for the pair posted, thanks for the replies people. I'm going to take the whole thing apart and try clear the hoses.

Dunno if the slaves are salvageable, might have to try the soak in wd40 overnight tip. Does that mean I have to essentially use a whole can of wd40 or is it just a heavy spray and leave them to dry?

I may have to try source a compressor to blast the shit outta the tubes, I have a track pump but how would I fit it to the maguras?

find an old tube that has the thread all the way down the valve, cut it off and screw it into the slave.

• Like 1

find an old tube that has the thread all the way down the valve, cut it off and screw it into the slave.

I wouldn't do this as I'm fairly certain the pitch on the thread is wrong, and would damage the thread in the slave. I'd just use a crossover and attach a presta valve pump to it. (That's how I've done it in the past).

Nope didn't work. At 240 psi with the valve in the slave and the other hole bolted the slave piston did not move at all. I think my dad has left it soaked in oil overnight I'm not sure, I gave up trying after 2 hours.

Nope didn't work. At 240 psi with the valve in the slave and the other hole bolted the slave piston did not move at all. I think my dad has left it soaked in oil overnight I'm not sure, I gave up trying after 2 hours.

Try pumping it to like 30 then letting off the bleed bolt a bit, so it all flies out like pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Like 1