Mtb/xc bike advice

Duncy H

I'm after a mtb for a bit of off road riding and very occasional road riding. However I've got no real experience/knowledge of the mtb scene. Budget wise is about £400 and don't mind going second hand. I think I'd probably like to do a bit of technical riding due to trials background (Chris akrigg style I guess).

Any pointers of what I should be looking at? Been looking at boardmans and that sort of thing. Might be tempted by full sus? Or is a hardtail better?

Also frame sizes? I'm 5ft 11 so was thinking 18-20"?

Nah don't go full sus. £400 really isn't a lot and a full sus for that price will be ropey at best... Get a hardtail. Something around 17-19" will probably be OK, but there's a lot of variability in top tube lengths etc. Just go off what the manufacturer recommends (they usually have a guide related to your height) and you can't go too far wrong.

Have a look on the pinkbike classifieds and singletrackworld. If you can push your budget a bit higher it'll open a lot of doors.

Thanks for the input.

Hardtail it is then! Don't really want to budge the budget too much, not expecting something insanely good.

I'm kinda tempted to build up my dads old retro kona lava dome for a laugh but it is twenty odd years old and missing a few bits.

• Like 1

Do it, have a look on Retrobike and I'm certain you'd be able to pick up everything to return it to its former glory. Some absolute beauties on there and LOADS of NOS parts knocking about. I'm still waiting for some space to crop up at home which I can then fill with an oldskool LTS 1 with Bomber Z1's!

Right I fixed the kona up and it is a laugh but it's not really up to what I'm wanting ahah.

I know you said to avoid fs but I've eyed up a fs boardman bike in the right size etc for £420 and I am rather tempted.

Well i fixed and cleaned up the kona but it wasn't really up to what I want to use it for. Looks quite smart though, might use it as a commuter if i go to uni.

null_zpsb72e54b5.jpg

I bought myself this boardman, done about 40 miles on it so far and it's great! Changed the seat though cause my bum was uber sore so i put a charge one on. I've loved thrashing it down trails and what not :) Not sure about the michelin tyres though?

null_zps12a531f2.jpg