Avid juicy problems

Willeyeam

Recently i bought a second hand trials bike with a rear avid juicy 3 that wasn't preforming great and clearly needed bleeding. As i wanted to ride straight away i swapped my avid juicy 7 over from my DMR. Now each brake is back on the original bike but neither is working properly. The juicy 7 was working perfectly before, it never failed to lock the back wheel under any circumstance but now i can't even brake into a skid. The only thing i did apart from swap the brakes over was realign the pads as, i'm guessing, the brake must have been pulled without the wheel in during swapping them over. It still feels perfect, not at all spongey.
The juicy 3 has been bled by my local bike shop and i have fitted new organic pads but after a few hours riding (after braking the pads in) it is still no where near what i would expect. The brake has let me down a couple of times on back wheel maneuvers and is not powerful enough to brake into a skid if my weight is over the back wheel.

Any advice on either brake would be great :)

Remove the pads, give them a light sanding(use sandpaper) same with the disc and reinstall....watch out to get anything on the disc...do a few hard stoppings and hopefully you good to go...

I did that with the juicy 7 so maybe it's just a case of doing a few hard stops and letting it bed in again. I cleaned the disk on the juicy 3 before installing the new pads so i shouldn't have to sand that one but i'll try it if nothing else seems to be helping.

I'm not too worried anymore about the Juicy 7, i tried a few hard stops and it started to improve.
But now my front Juicy 3 has lost a lot of power too! I had a good hard ride for a few hours yesterday and it was fine. Admittedly not great but it was about what i would expect. But now while sitting in the garage over night it has lost most of it's stopping power. I'm coming round to the idea that these brakes are pretty shot and a new pair would be a good idea, however i can't really justify spending the money.

Here are a few checks I do on my brakes.

Take the pads out check the pad surface is a dull Matt finish if its polished give it the sand paper.

If the pad surface looks dark and loose also give it the sand paper but also leave them on the side and wait ten mins to see if te light dusty surface gets any dark spots. If it does it has oil on the pad if the spots line up with the holes on the back of the pad the came from the brake piston you have a leak. If its random its of the disc.

• Like 1

if i remember correctly juicy 3's have only one moving piston, meaning less stopping power will be transferred into the disc. try going for a hope as they have 2 moving pistons and many street riders use them, or a mechanical avid bb5 or bb7 which are in my opinion the best mechanical disc brake on the market :)

We will have to agree to disagree on that one, I've found hope's are superb out the box but the second you touch them the performance just goes out the window. 2nd hand pair of Saints for £130-140 however even after a years abuse on a downhill bike are immense.

• Like 2

My experience with hopes has been exactly as isitafox said. I bought a pair of mono minis for my DMR and for the first few months they were great, then the problems set in and never went away. Then i bought a rear Juicy 7 (going brakeless on the front) and five years has passed without having a single problem (until now that is, however i think with the 7 it's a case of me not giving a chance for the pads to bed in after sanding and panicking).
I still have my pair of minis knocking around the garage actually, i might put them back on although i feel like i'm opening up a can of worms touching those.
What are peoples opinions on some more up market avids on a fourplay? I've grown quite partial to my juicy 7 over the years and the 3s being pretty useless hasn't put me off the brand all together.
Saints seem to be held in high esteem by everyone and i would love a pair it's just the price. If i start seriously looking for a new pair of brakes i'll start looking for some second hand ones.

Edited by Willeyeam

if i remember correctly juicy 3's have only one moving piston, meaning less stopping power will be transferred into the disc. try going for a hope as they have 2 moving pistons and many street riders use them, or a mechanical avid bb5 or bb7 which are in my opinion the best mechanical disc brake on the market :)

Tba avid bb brakes have one moving brake pad. All juicys, elixirs have two moving pistons.

Older hopes were terible for power.

The old mono brakes were horrible.

Only since the x2 brakes have hope even been worth considering.

Back when hope were crap. I was using avid codes and juicy because those brakes had that same powerful bite the older Hayes hfx9 had

Pretty much most new dh brakes have a more powerfull initial bite these days.

I find the hope trialzone is the only sharp brake I found without the pads moving around in the caliper.

Tba avid bb brakes have one moving brake pad. All juicys, elixirs have two moving pistons.

Older hopes were terible for power.

The old mono brakes were horrible.

Only since the x2 brakes have hope even been worth considering.

Back when hope were crap. I was using avid codes and juicy because those brakes had that same powerful bite the older Hayes hfx9 had

Pretty much most new dh brakes have a more powerfull initial bite these days.

I find the hope trialzone is the only sharp brake I found without the pads moving around in the caliper.

juicy 3's only have one moving piston, i cant find any pictures but you can split the caliper into 2. And i know the avid bb5 and bb7 brakes only have one moving pad too but they in my opinion are really good brakes.

juicy 3's only have one moving piston, i cant find any pictures but you can split the caliper into 2. And i know the avid bb5 and bb7 brakes only have one moving pad too but they in my opinion are really good brakes.

No they don't. If they only have one moving piston, explain why both pistons have seals? and why both of them move when you pull the lever.

No they don't. If they only have one moving piston, explain why both pistons have seals? and why both of them move when you pull the lever.

yes they do, explain why you can split the caliper into 2 halves and no hydraulic fluid is lost and why there is no bleed nipple on the right hand side of the slave

I just had a look at my juicy 3s and both pistons move.

What rotor size would people recommend? I could get a pair of juicy 7s with 203mm rotors but i feel like 203mm is too big, i can't really justify that though i just feel like they are haha.
Otherwise i could get some elixir crs for the same price but they don't come with mounts or rotors. Does anyone know if my juicy 3 mounts and rotors will fit them?

yes they do, explain why you can split the caliper into 2 halves and no hydraulic fluid is lost and why there is no bleed nipple on the right hand side of the slave

The caliper splits in 2 so it's easier to service. There is a little hole which connects the two halves of the caliper together, with a little o-ring to seal it. If you genuinely still think you are right, I'll try find one at work tomorrow, strip it and get pictures for you.