Antoine Lamontagne

Rusevelt

Oh my.. never thought that would get posted on here >_< for those who didn't get it, the rider in the vid would be me.

Clips were recorded for a friend of mine which i agreed to let him use and do whatever the hell he wants with them.

Is the air temperature really that cold to be wearing a coat. Checkout the guy with the white coat, hood on, walking pass at 00:55, and the little girl in red at 01:33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zdXujiSMFM

Yes, the air temperature is really that cold !

The day that was recorded, the temperature was hovering around -2°C and add to that those freaking winds and it's even worse ! so yup a coat was required.

No music, dodgy helmet cam, average riding.

No music --> Simple reason and i'll let you figure it out for yourself.

Dodgy helmet cam --> I'll give you this one, i hated that thing on my head anyway, so never again :)

Average riding --> Sorry for not being up to your "riding standards" :giggle: I suppose i should stop filming stuff so you don't have to watch me again !?

I ride for fun.. i suppose you do the same ? if i want to record things, that's up to me. Wether you like it or not doesn't really matter to me but i still feel like that was being a bit "rude".

I've seen videos with far worse riding and editing get better comments..

And by the way, i don't considerier myself a really "great" rider, i'm just a guy riding his bike on my free time :)

• Like 1

Oh my.. never thought that would get posted on here >_< for those who didn't get it, the rider in the vid would be me.

Clips were recorded for a friend of mine which i agreed to let him use and do whatever the hell he wants with them.

Yes, the air temperature is really that cold !

The day that was recorded, the temperature was hovering around -2°C and add to that those freaking winds and it's even worse ! so yup a coat was required.

No music --> Simple reason and i'll let you figure it out for yourself.

Dodgy helmet cam --> I'll give you this one, i hated that thing on my head anyway, so never again :)

Average riding --> Sorry for not being up to your "riding standards" :giggle: I suppose i should stop filming stuff so you don't have to watch me again !?

I ride for fun.. i suppose you do the same ? if i want to record things, that's up to me. Wether you like it or not doesn't really matter to me but i still feel like that was being a bit "rude".

I've seen videos with far worse riding and editing get better comments..

And by the way, i don't considerier myself a really "great" rider, i'm just a guy riding his bike on my free time :)

It's just my opinion. Don't put stuff on the internet if you can't handle criticism.

It's just my opinion. Don't put stuff on the internet if you can't handle criticism.

He only objected to your comment of 'average riding', which is perfectly understandable. It's not helpful, insightful or in any way a critique. It's just an underhand flippant remark.

I think he handed your 'criticism' extremely well considering it was lazy. If you'd commented on not liking the style, smoothness, lines etc then it might be more understandable. Just calling someone average appears to put you in a position of authority and considering this is clearly a video just made for fun, it's something that I don't think is necessary.

Also do you understand hypocrisy? You 'criticised' the rider, who then replied to you in a more intelligent and thoughtful manner and your response was barbed so I'd suggest you take your own advice.

• Like 2

He only objected to your comment of 'average riding', which is perfectly understandable. It's not helpful, insightful or in any way a critique. It's just an underhand flippant remark.

I think he handed your 'criticism' extremely well considering it was lazy. If you'd commented on not liking the style, smoothness, lines etc then it might be more understandable. Just calling someone average appears to put you in a position of authority and considering this is clearly a video just made for fun, it's something that I don't think is necessary.

Also do you understand hypocrisy? You 'criticised' the rider, who then replied to you in a more intelligent and thoughtful manner and your response was barbed so I'd suggest you take your own advice.

Like I said I'm entitled to an opinion. I don't need to write several paragraphs explaining myself just to keep over sensitive people happy.

Like I said I'm entitled to an opinion. I don't need to write several paragraphs explaining myself just to keep over sensitive people happy.

Of course you are, and if you don't feel the need to explain yourself then that's that. What you can not do is accuse someone of not accepting criticism and now on two accounts (the rider in the videos response and my first post) you appear to have the same failing. That's hypocritical, and that is where my issue lies, not your opinion of the video.

Of course you are, and if you don't feel the need to explain yourself then that's that. What you can not do is accuse someone of not accepting criticism and now on two accounts (the rider in the videos response and my first post) you appear to have the same failing. That's hypocritical, and that is where my issue lies, not your opinion of the video.

It's not hypocritical.

Shut upppppp haha. Get over it man!

Saying the riding is average is just an opinion, like i'm sure you'd say loads of TGS videos are boring or unimaginative. No-one cares!

• Like 1

It's not hypocritical.

It is.

Shut upppppp haha. Get over it man!

Saying the riding is average is just an opinion, like i'm sure you'd say loads of TGS videos are boring or unimaginative. No-one cares!

It's just, like, my opinion man.

Also: And I don't like to be pedantic but you're calling me out for something you're getting wrong. I don't care about his opinion of the riding, I see no issue with that. In fact I've already said just that. What I didn't like is him telling the rider to just accept the criticism and to not put a video up if he doesn't like it (when the rider already explained he himself didn't upload the video), to then go on and get a bit put-out when he was then criticised for his lack of forethought. You see he said accept the criticism, then didn't accept criticism aimed at him from the rider and myself. That IS hypocritical.

Again, it's no fun to point that blatantly obvious shit out, but there is some monumentally headache inducing idiots that don't seem to get it. Your comment is even less useful. It don't actually get to me so there's nothing to get over, nor does it take 2 mins to reply so it's just a bit of light entertainment. But you went on to then miss the point I was making, then make an assumption as to how I would comment on a video of a certain riding style, which is pointless....No one cares!

Edited by Matthew62

It is.

It's just, like, my opinion man.

Also: And I don't like to be pedantic but you're calling me out for something you're getting wrong. I don't care about his opinion of the riding, I see no issue with that. In fact I've already said just that. What I didn't like is him telling the rider to just accept the criticism and to not put a video up if he doesn't like it (when the rider already explained he himself didn't upload the video), to then go on and get a bit put-out when he was then criticised for his lack of forethought. You see he said accept the criticism, then didn't accept criticism aimed at him from the rider and myself. That IS hypocritical.

Again, it's no fun to point that blatantly obvious shit out, but there is some monumentally headache inducing idiots that don't seem to get it. Your comment is even less useful. It don't actually get to me so there's nothing to get over, nor does it take 2 mins to reply so it's just a bit of light entertainment. But you went on to then miss the point I was making, then make an assumption as to how I would comment on a video of a certain riding style, which is pointless....No one cares!

I think you need to 're-read the thread. I'm not bothered if he doesn't like my opinion. I was merely giving him some advice that may stop him being offended in future ie don't put things, or let your friends put things on the internet if you can't accept that not everyone will like it.

Just calling someone average appears to put you in a position of authority and considering this is clearly a video just made for fun, it's something that I don't think is necessary.

I don't care about his opinion of the riding, I see no issue with that. In fact I've already said just that.

No, you said that.

So in actual fact you *do* have an issue with his comment? haha

Pointless moaning at some one who hasn't even posted a video up. Maybe you should point you coments to the guy who posted it up on here?

If somebody posts a video that they had nothing to do with, people will still comment on the video. Why criticize the person that posted it?

Anyway, I may have been blunt but I stand by what I said. I wasn't suggesting the guy quits riding or making videos, merely that I wasn't impressed by what I saw.

I think it's your intention that's being questioned. Why bother with that sort of criticism when it isn't constructive but just about putting his riding down? In other words, it appears you're being needlessly unkind. If appreciating other people's riding depended on where they placed on the riding ladder, so to speak, that would make for a pretty cold community. I think it's fair and good to defend against that sort of thing.

Edited by Ben Rowlands
  • Like 1

I agree it wasnt nice but I also agree he should be able to say "your shit mate" ... everyone nowadays is afraid of offending people... can say whatever you like within the law and if they are offended thats there problem, no obligation legal or otherwise to be Polite if you don't want to be. But I got banned for arguing so im not doing it again :)

Cheers

• Like 1

Saying it was good wouldn't be constructive, it'd be being needlessly nice. It wouldn't cause as much controversy though.

You're missing my point. I'm not saying being constructive is telling somebody they are 'good.' Being constructive is offering them advice in a way that helps them in some sense. For instance, telling somebody that their technique, having noticed it's lacking, can be adjusted in such and such a way in order to improve that technique is constructive. Just telling somebody they aren't particularly good does nothing useful to anyone except fulfil personal need to be unpleasant - unless you want to offer me some reason how being unkind is useful to anyone or motivated by something worthwhile?

You're completely entitled to be that way - I'm not telling you that you can't - but don't expect people to not call you up on it. Doing so is constructive criticism if you're interested in having a community of people that are interested in helping one another rather than putting them down for no apparent reason.

I agree it wasnt nice but I also agree he should be able to say "your shit mate" ... everyone nowadays is afraid of offending people... can say whatever you like within the law and if they are offended thats there problem, no obligation legal or otherwise to be Polite if you don't want to be. But I got banned for arguing so im not doing it again :)

Cheers

I think everyone should say what they want but at the same time they shouldn't expect others not to respond against it.

• Like 2

You're missing my point. I'm not saying being constructive is telling somebody they are 'good.' Being constructive is offering them advice in a way that helps them in some sense. For instance, telling somebody that their technique, having noticed it's lacking, can be adjusted in such and such a way in order to improve that technique is constructive. Just telling somebody they aren't particularly good does nothing useful to anyone except fulfil personal need to be unpleasant - unless you want to offer me some reason how being unkind is useful to anyone or motivated by something worthwhile?

You're completely entitled to be that way - I'm not telling you that you can't - but don't expect people to not call you up on it. Doing so is constructive criticism if you're interested in having a community of people that are interested in helping one another rather than putting them down for no apparent reason.

I think everyone should say what they want but at the same time they shouldn't expect others not to respond against it.

The point I was making was that if I said it was good then that would be accepted and I wouldn't be expected to elaborate. You pulled me up for not being constructive yet the majority of positive comments on videos aren't so why does a negative one need to be? I thought what I said was enough to explain my feelings on the video so I didn't feel the need to explain further. I do feel bad for the fact that my comment has turned the thread into a big debate about what sort of comments are or aren't acceptable. People seem to be focusing on the fact I called the riding average, presumably because this may cause offense to the rider, but the fact that the guy that made the video might be upset that I don't like his editing seems to have flown under the radar. However after all of this I do feel like should elaborate, the helmet cam shots should have been scrapped because you can hardly tell what's going on, there music thing is my personal taste so if the guy didn't want music then fair enough, the riding was technically ok but like I said it just seemed average. That isn't meant to be offensive, as I said, it was like watching me, and I'm average.
  • Like 1