Helmet damage and replacement after a crash

forteh

Actually fell off the intense on friday night (first mtb crash in some 5 years) went OTB and pegged the left side of my helmet into a tree as I flew past it. The outer plastic shell is just lightly scratched and there doesn't appear to be any crush/dent damage, however it has a good hard solid knock, enough to give an instant headache for 20-30 minutes.

Would you replace the lid as a matter of course? This one is now about 3 years old and is only a cheapy giro, I'm contemplating replacing it with a Bell Variant (I have a long narrow head, giro helmets mushroom quite a lot and I recall the Bell shell shape to fit my head much tighter).

Buy a new one!

For the protection they provide they don't cost much at all.

If it gave you a headache for 20+ mins I would be very surprised if the helmet wasn't damaged, even if it doesn't show any signs of damage.

Edited by AndrewEH1

Pretty just reinforcing my thoughts :)

Popped round to halford at lunchtime and tried on a few of the Bell helmets they had in stock, seem to be a bit closer to the sides of my head so a little less movement compared to my Giro. Will wait till payday on thursday and then raid CRC!

Obviously you should, or at least that's what the helmet manufacturers suggest... But my helmets have taken much harder knocks and I haven't replaced them. Stupid? Maybe. But then I get a knock like you describe a few times a year and I could never afford a new helmet each time. Replace at 5 years or visible damage is my rule.