Jaf frame crack situation

Trials-Mikey

do you have any answers to why people don't braze frames? It's stronger weld yeah

In my trade nothing's brazed . Tig is a really strong weld ' an inch weld should hold a tonne in weight .

Also brazing /gas welding is we're tig welding originated from .

Before tig there was gas welding it's basically a crude less refined way of tig welding.

Bronze braising/ gas welding is a strong weld I agree and the bronze it self is soft witch allows the joint to flex a little more without cracking + the fact that the weld is at least 4 times wider than most tig welds on a bike frame.

I can tig/gas weld / braise so it will be down to customer choice

But in the grand scheme of things tig is best in my opinion .

Strong

Clean

Less perpetration time

And bronze/silver solder rods are mega expensive too

Ur right about the heat though it uses less heat to braise than it does to tig weld witch is good for not putting residual stress in the metal

Other than that I can't offer any more I hope this helps

Regards leigh

In my trade nothing's brazed . Tig is a really strong weld ' an inch weld should hold a tonne in weight .

Before tig there was gas welding it's basically a crude less refined way of tig welding.

Bronze braising/ gas welding is a strong weld I agree and the bronze it self is soft witch allows the joint to flex a little more without cracking + the fact that the weld is at least 4 times wider than most tig welds on a bike frame.

Strong

Clean

Less perpetration time

Ur right about the heat though it uses less heat to braise than it does to tig weld witch is good for not putting residual stress in the metal

Regards leigh

Good answer. On a diffrnt note, if the frame were aged/heat treated and nitrided would the weld need to be of the same metal?

• Like 1

Strong

Clean

Less perpetration time

Regards leigh

Thanks for the detailed reply, alot off what you say makes sense, I do see that tig is a cleaner weld and less messy. I heard that braize is harder weld than tig? If there was the option I think I would choose braize from my knoledge on it in the agricultural trade.. And the fact the weld will flex more is better surely? Less likely to crack on the welds like every other frame does. Rhys

Interesting talk about Bronze welding, when I first started work making furnaces we made one for a company making bike frames. The prepared tubes went into the furnace and came out bronze welded,every joint was push fitted beforehand so a lot of preparation involved. It is a strong method of manufacture but for handmade frames not really practical unless you spend a great deal. Manufactures like Reynolds still recommend Bronze welding as well as TIG.

Interesting talk about Bronze welding, when I first started work making furnaces we made one for a company making bike frames. The prepared tubes went into the furnace and came out bronze welded,every joint was push fitted beforehand so a lot of preparation involved. It is a strong method of manufacture but for handmade frames not really practical unless you spend a great deal. Manufactures like Reynolds still recommend Bronze welding as well as TIG.

But the to be fair if I was paying 300 odd pound for a custom frame and knew that bronze welding was better I would want it done.. No matter what extra preparation

I would think £300 for a handmade frame was fairly cheap, there is a lot of work involved. I have no idea what it would cost really but man hours alone without materials etc would put the price up. I never saw a completed bike after they had been through the furnace shipped off somewhere else to be assembled.

Ideally its not just the welding either TIG or bronze which makes the frame part manufacture before welding is just as important, if I were to pay for a really good handmade frame I would like to see the standard of joints before they are welded, as you can hide a lot with a weld.